• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I didn't have it loaded though because I would have had to have someplace to shoot it to unload it, which IMHO would be the downside of carrying it.
    It's not really a problem. You just pull the cylinder out of it and store it in a small jar, in a safe place, until you have a chance to go shooting again. I like to put a little bit of dry rice in the jar to draw moisture. that way I'm sure it will fire next time I get to the range. It's a little trick I learned from my mother. She use to put rice in the salt shaker to keep the salt dry. It works really well!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/RB-Pistol-Revolvers.pdf

Link to bp revolver loads, wouldnt feel outguned a bit with my ruger old army. hasnt failed me yet, now the colts worry me a little with the caps getting hung up, have had that happen more than a few times.

If you run out of smokeless powder for your .38 .357mag 45acp .223 30/06 you can use BP or a substatute, read about a guy that loaded up some 7.62x39 rounds for his sks with bp and it actually functioned for about 30 shots before it became fouled. would be interesting to see if a 1911 .45 would function with bp and for how many rounds.

Last edited:

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I carry an 1851 navy around my property all the time... mostly cuase I´m just a really big BP fan. I carry the gun empty that way I can practice with it, and then I have a preloaded cylinder on my belt, along with a bear and son stag handled bowie knife! believe me to quote John Wayne
    ¨I bet you could almost get that FANCY gun out of that FANCY holster, before some fast gentleman with an old fashion six gun blew a hole in ya!¨

DSCF2548.JPG

DSCF2556.JPG

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you run out of smokeless powder for your .38 .357mag 45acp .223 30/06 you can use BP or a substatute, read about a guy that loaded up some 7.62x39 rounds for his sks with bp and it actually functioned for about 30 shots before it became fouled. would be interesting to see if a 1911 .45 would function with bp and for how many rounds.

I have done that with .223, 7.62x39, .38 Special/.357 and 9mm. The 9mm was a riot out of a Beretta. I extrapolated (DANGEROUS to do so, be careful) the load from .38 cowboy loads from Hodgdon. Click, second, blaaap, tons of smoke, relatively okay accuracy at 15 yards (about 4 inches!!), barely tosses the empty casing out. Fouled after 25 or more rounds.

7.62x39 idea was from a Harry Turtledove book "Guns of the South" where some jokers go back in time, give the South AK-47s during the Civil War and watch the ensuing craziness. The South tried to replicate the AK and did so (sort of rough hewn), but the ammo was a complete mystery, fouling the action after a magazine, but the rifle was still usable (according to the booK) as a manual repeater. After extrapolation (once again, DANGEROUS) of .30-30 data, I did get one that cycled the action with FFF equivalent. It did gum up after about 40 or so rounds, but then again, I only loaded about 40. The action became NOTICEABLY slower after round 21ish. :D The smoke and flash was horrendous. The cleaning actually wasn't too bad.

.223 was a single shot essentially. Not enough oomph to cycle the action reliably. I did hear the bolt want to unlock, but not enough. The hell was cleaning the already tedious AR cleaning task. :(

That is why I like .30-30, comes with it's own loading data for BP in it's name :D :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I carry the gun empty that way I can practice with it, and then I have a preloaded cylinder on my belt, along with a bear and son stag handled bowie knife! believe me to quote John Wayne
    ¨I bet you could almost get that FANCY gun out of that FANCY holster, before some fast gentleman with an old fashion six gun blew a hole in ya!¨

DSCF2548.JPG

DSCF2556.JPG

I NEVER carry mine empty. I've got rocks for that job. They've got enough draw backs already for me with out carrying it around empty.

Leather handle on my knife and extra possibles in the bag.

picture.php

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I hear ya Jack Ryan, I would always keep mine loaded but I got siblings and dont really want it loaded around the house so I just keep a spare cylinder loaded to swap with.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I hear ya Jack Ryan, I would always keep mine loaded but I got siblings and dont really want it loaded around the house so I just keep a spare cylinder loaded to swap with.

I like that jar idea of Delmar's if I needed it. If mine's loaded though I consider it just like any other loaded gun. I've grabbed mine and strapped up a couple times in the middle of the night the past week or so to go see what the heck that dog is barking at.

If I felt safety was issue enough for me to take the caps off, I'd definately pully the cylinder and put it in a jar with rice just like he was suggesting to keep it good until I wanted it again. Myself I'd probably still leave it capped and in a jar and put the jar in a safe or something maybe.

I shot 3 cylinders yesterday that had been loaded and capped for a couple weeks at least with no problem at all.

Top Bottom