• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Glad to see a BP spot on this forum.
    I shoot a .50 Hawken (Lyman Trade Rifle) and an 1851 revolver. Both with Goex BP.
    Shoot once a month with a small traditional group but am always looking for others who like to smoke things up.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I posted a picture of the BP rifle my dad just gave me back in Nov, .54 cal Flintlock, with a Haddaway lock...posted in Long guns as "my new gun(s)" New forum name....
    INGOML??

Ryninger

Expert
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I had been wanting to switch and wouldn't ya know it. Santa brought me some Black Horn 209 for Christmas!

Anyone else get any BP goodies?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I had been wanting to switch and wouldn't ya know it. Santa brought me some Black Horn 209 for Christmas!

I shoot traditional for target and plinking, so I order in bulk, mostly Real BP, for everything I need. I have about 3 years supply.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    While not exactly a xmas gift I did get the green light from the wife to get an Encore frame and a SMI smokeless barrel! Think I am going to go with a .45 cal.

ghille45

Plinker
    Dec 7, 2010
    afghanistan
    I have an 1860 colt reproduction revolver that I am chomping at the bit to shoot when i get home. one thing I am curious about is the amount of powder that I should be firing, and things like that.

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    I myself have nine long rifles, two single shot pistols and three revolvers. I prefer the 50 cals but my new investment is a NIB MK 85 ss (knight) never been fired in a 54 cal. It was the first in line rifle ever made and was the precedent for all inline of today. I was strictly side lock only until I was given a inline for christmas years ago. I always thought this will never catch on LOL. My mk 85 is now set up with 12 inch bi-pod and still has the #11 ignition. 209 conversion is on order is on order. 85 dollars plus shipping ouch!!! My favorite gun of all guns I own is my T/C Hawken that I put togather as a kit 25 years ago. Sound off and lets hear your history with powder that made america come to be!!!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have an 1860 colt reproduction revolver that I am chomping at the bit to shoot when i get home. one thing I am curious about is the amount of powder that I should be firing, and things like that.

First Thank You for your service to our Country! There is plenty of know-how on this forum and another to get you started. So when you are back home safe (my prayers for you) you get more then enough advice.

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    That is going to depend on whether it is a brass frame or a steel frame. If your arbor and wedge fit correctly a Steel frame Colt will handle as much black powder as you can fit behind the ball. Not so with a brass frame.

Ryninger

Expert
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    BH 209

Anyone else here use Black Horn 209? I was given some for Christmas and curious about it's intricacies for it. This will be my first venture into powder after using pellets.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have used it the last 2 years. I will never use BP or any other BP subs again. I am currently trying to get a smokeless muzz setup but BH209 would be my other than smokeless go to!
    You need to use only 209 primers and not the magnum muzz primers. You should also contact the powder mfg and confirm if your muzz is good for BH209 use. Some breech plug designs don't play well with it. You will want to keep an eye on the flame channel in the breech plug, BH209 tends to create some buildup. I use a set of torch tip cleaners to keep mine cleaned out.

Anyone else here use Black Horn 209? I was given some for Christmas and curious about it's intricacies for it. This will be my first venture into powder after using pellets.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    i picked up this knight muzzle loader from a guy at work and have never even taken it out of the case as i have no need for it so if some one could let me if knight is a good brand and might it potentially be worth a couple of hundred buck or how do i find out what its worth thx

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I shoot muzzleloader year 'round. It's not just an extension of deer season to me, but about stepping into the past.

While I only shoot the old styles, I am not against the modern designs.

I would very much like to see a forum dedicated to black powder.

Josh

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    Knight is a great muzz, check out gunbroker.com to get an idea of value.

i picked up this knight muzzle loader from a guy at work and have never even taken it out of the case as i have no need for it so if some one could let me if knight is a good brand and might it potentially be worth a couple of hundred buck or how do i find out what its worth thx

Top Bottom