• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    By the way, Bill: The reason I didn't jump in here sooner, is because I didn't see the discussion.

Now a forum, that would have been readily visible. ;)

Josh

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I have a traditions pursuit pro that I get out about once a month to shoot, and hunt with it during firearms and muzzle loader season. I'd like to get a side lock, and a revolver for fun. A black powder forum would be great. :)

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I would like to see a black powder firearm section also. Have seen other sites also break it up a little more with 2 sections. One for traditional & one for modern inlines.

antiwheeze

Plinker
    May 14, 2010
    I have used it the last 2 years. I will never use BP or any other BP subs again. I am currently trying to get a smokeless muzz setup but BH209 would be my other than smokeless go to!
    You need to use only 209 primers and not the magnum muzz primers. You should also contact the powder mfg and confirm if your muzz is good for BH209 use. Some breech plug designs don't play well with it. You will want to keep an eye on the flame channel in the breech plug, BH209 tends to create some buildup. I use a set of torch tip cleaners to keep mine cleaned out.

What type of muzzy are you using it in?
    I used BH209 in my TC Black Diamond last year and raved bout it! This year I had fizzle fire and hang fire with it (temp was in the 20's). My buddy who talked me into trying it also had hang fire with it. The only change I made this year was using an easier to start sabot.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    Mine is a 50cal Knight original Disc rifle. My dad uses a converted MK-85 54cal. Knock on wood but neither or us have had any issues with BH209.
    Have you checked the flame channel in the breech plug?
    What kind of bullets are you using?
    It is much harder to ignite than BP / BP subs and if you are using a looser fitting sabot maybe that could be the problem.

What type of muzzy are you using it in?
    I used BH209 in my TC Black Diamond last year and raved bout it! This year I had fizzle fire and hang fire with it (temp was in the 20's). My buddy who talked me into trying it also had hang fire with it. The only change I made this year was using an easier to start sabot.

ghille45

Plinker
    Dec 7, 2010
    afghanistan
    Thanks for the support guys, and I haven't physically laid hands on it yet, it's at my parents house, I bought it off of gunbroker over here. I think it's a steel frame though. I am excited to shoot it, but not to blow my fingers off because i loaded it wrong. lol.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    209 shotgun primers only. I've never tried the magnum muzz primers but they say they do not work.

HOWEVER, backed with 5gns of 2Fg black powder, it will ignite just fine.

Make sure it's OK with the manufacturer to do this with BH209; Pyrodex recommends it (and the pellets even have a black powder booster built in; this is why it matters which way you put 'em in). Just remember that you'll have to clean right away to keep corrosion down compared to straight BH209.

Most rifles, including sidelocks, can be converted to use 209 primers. But really, what's the fun in that? :draw:

Josh

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    All right all you buffalo wrapped woodsman(lol) I have a mk 85 ss still in box 54 cal. inline. It has not been converted to 209 primers and am trying to avoid doing so. I am a avid shooter of inlines and side locks but all my substitutes are 209 only. I need info on a less corrosive powder than Goex and pyrodex. I love triple seven but #11 caps and 777 dont like each other. Any Ideas on a clean powder that is reliable and will ignite on #11 caps? I am wanting a good load work up for 150 yards using ssts sabots or power belts if the gun like them(seems to be 50/50 on which of my guns has a appetite for them. I am looking for six shots before swab kind of load.

Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I've recently been playing around with my 1851 Navy replica, but feel I need to go up to something a little bit better. Does anyone here have much experience with BP pistols? I was thinking either an 1858 Remington or 1847 Walker. Thoughts?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I also play around with a '51 Colt replica but the general opinion of my friends and most of the BP boards is that the '58 Remington replicas are about the best in this type of pistol as far as ease of shooting and cleaning go. Walkers are massive and have some design problems as that design pre-dates the 1851 Colt. My next BP revolver will be an 1858 Remmy.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Pan Lubed my Maxi-balls

79 of them to be exact. I picked up a great deal on a T/C 370gr. Maxi-ball mold and headed to the garage. Casted up 79 bullets last night and just finished pan lubing them today. If this bullet proves to be what the reviews all say then the deer will have something else to dodge.

ffda080f.jpg

fcfc0fb3.jpg

Finished....
    4215102b.jpg

choppers

Plinker
    Dec 12, 2009
    Has anyone used the muzzleloader propellant called white hots and what did you think of it. It claims to burn cleaner. Is this true or false?

Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I just got my Uberti 3rd Model Walker Dragoon today! This thing is an absolute beast!! 60 grains of FFFg Goex makes this my new favorite handgun!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Has anyone used the muzzleloader propellant called white hots and what did you think of it. It claims to burn cleaner. Is this true or false?

Probably true, and probably sugar based.

Looking at their MSDS, I would not use it.

Josh

Top Bottom