Mishawaka
    Uberti 1851 London Navy
    Uberti_1851Custom_zps8e689ca9.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just got clearance from the wife to buy a Traditions Pennsylvania long rifle I found. Guy says he bought it new but never fired it? It looks nice but what is a fair price for it? Any advise? I have not shot BP since the mid 90's and that was a Lyman Great Plains rifle. :dunno:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Just got clearance from the wife to buy a Traditions Pennsylvania long rifle I found. Guy says he bought it new but never fired it? It looks nice but what is a fair price for it? Any advise? I have not shot BP since the mid 90's and that was a Lyman Great Plains rifle. :dunno:

Caplock or Flintlock?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    There's one brand new on Midwayusa selling for $678.00 so that should give you a baseline to work from.

Traditions Pennsylvania

Okay thanks...that's the same make of rifle I am looking at. The one I am looking at is coming in about $230 less than what Midway is asking. It does not have a box or anything. Guy says rifling is good, no rust. It does have some heavy tarnish on the brass inlays. I figure some Brasso will take care of that. Think I will go for it. I will keep you posted.Really looking forward to getting back in to BP after 17+ years of being out. May have to look into re-joining the Twin Rivers Muzzle loading club that is around here. Thank you for the assist.:)

Kurr

Expert
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Just wanted to say I made my very first "batch" of holy black today!!

I used spectracide stump remover, msds said 100% potassium nitrate. Sulphur from the garden center, 90%, the msds said the other 10% was bentonite clay so great it comes with a binder. Red cedar chips from tractor supply (dog bedding) was the charcoal base.

Crushed the nitrate fine, sulphur was already powdered, used the ball end of a ball peen hammer to grind the charcoal shavings through a fine mesh strainer I picked up at walmart. Then mixed ingredients and used the hammer to grind em through the strainer a few more times to mix. Used the digital scales to try to get the 75/15/10 ratio.

Total batch size, bout a gram and a half, by weight, LOL!!

But she burned good, by golly, she burned GOOD!!!

I figured the prices for ingredients I can get on ebay, better quality, and figured I can get the price to make down to about 2.50 a lb! Oh and I need a ball mill yet.

After I get the method and mix down and am satisfied with price and safety, I'll start workin on caps next. But MAN am I excited!

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    That is pretty neat... So if I can ask what drove you to this ????? ... Now making your own caps thats hard core :)... How do you make the metal caps????

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Inexpensive kits that come complete with everything needed to make black powder Skylighter Black Powder Kit

Instructions for making black powder using a Ball Mill (harbor freight style tumbler). Instructions

While I haven't tried this and believe me when I say I've been thinking real hard about it, it looks like a viable solution to todays powder costs. Only thing stopping me is running the ball mill with the ever so slight chance of an explosion. Ideally I would run an extension cord out away from any buildings to run the ball mill.

Since I live in a neighborhood with houses close together, I've been holding off on the idea as I have plans in the future to move out to the country in North Liberty, IN.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm on a roll replenishing my BP .... I just snagged this Ruger Old Army in the box with manual and a loading stand and a pound of Goex FFF thrown in on the deal.

Manufactured in 1994 and only 50 rds fired.

ROA_stand_zpsb16ea293.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I've always wanted a old army and yours was made the year i was born:) I want to get a ROA and shorten the barrel down and make a snubbie out of it like i did with my 1858

rkidd

Plinker
    Jul 7, 2014
    Clayton
    Friendship

NMLRA Shoot in Frienship starts Saturday and goes through next week. If you have never been there you will find a couple of flea markets and just about anyting to do with muzzleloaders you can think of. They normally have a beginers bench to give the those who have never shot one before the opertunity.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im leaving today and staying with friends in milan. Will be going to friendship tomorrow morning and will probably end up spending way too much money.

Top Bottom