• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I bought a Pietta 1860 Army (Colt 1860 Army) back in January up at Cabelas. Steel frame. Nice piece and shoots great (Just hate cleaning it after the fun LOL!) Anyway...my next BP revolver piece will be a genuine Colt 2nd generation 1860 Army.
    In that case you are going to want to learn to love cleaning it! :D

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Received a 38" long drop-in barrel for a TC Renegade, rifled to .52 bore with 28" twist, for paper patching with off the shelf 425 to 550 grain .50 rifle molds. Chompin' at the bit to break her in.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    My question is this. Does anyone know why all modern day black-powder cap and ball revolvers are made overseas and not in the USA?:dunno:

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    A Lot of it has to do with the tooling and manufacturing costs for making the guns.. Belgium and Italy started in the 1950s making those replica guns.. and have owned the market since.. Even the parts for the Colt 2nd generation guns came from Uberti and then were assembled over here.

US Manufacturers did not want that market.. If not for those European companies many of the guns used in the 100 year anniversary of the civil war would never have existed.

I think a big part was that after WW II American gun manufacturers went away from the Replica guns. Colt decided to stop making their SAA. This left room for European companies to get a toe hold with those guns.. Now it is cheaper to just buy from those companies and rebrand them.. (Like what Cimmeron and Taylor does)

To be fair, those European companies swap parts over the years also.. Quality has sometimes been an issue with some guns, But it seems anymore now the quality is 1st class from Companies like Uberti..

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    A Lot of it has to do with the tooling and manufacturing costs for making the guns.. Belgium and Italy started in the 1950s making those replica guns.. and have owned the market since.. Even the parts for the Colt 2nd generation guns came from Uberti and then were assembled over here.

US Manufacturers did not want that market.. If not for those European companies many of the guns used in the 100 year anniversary of the civil war would never have existed.

I think a big part was that after WW II American gun manufacturers went away from the Replica guns. Colt decided to stop making their SAA. This left room for European companies to get a toe hold with those guns.. Now it is cheaper to just buy from those companies and rebrand them.. (Like what Cimmeron and Taylor does)

To be fair, those European companies swap parts over the years also.. Quality has sometimes be a issue with some guns, But it seems anymore now the quality is 1st class from Companies like Uberti..

Indy, Thanks for the input. Makes sense.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I always try to go on the first Saturday before they sell out of popular items. Attendance seems to be falling off in recent years so vendors running out has not been as much of a problem.. Shop the entire vendor area before buying. Prices vary greatly between vendors. Last Spring, there were fewer booths than previous years. Above all, have fun.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Screenshot_2015-08-23-15-35-41_zpsnrzu4g2r.png
    [/URL][/IMG]

Anyone else using black powder on tree chickens?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Nice outfit you got there. The only thing I hunt are made from clay (pitch actually) or steel. Was just out this morning shooting clays with my 14 ga. Muzzle loading shotgun. Last week was steel at up to 100 yds with the Hawken style rifle and shorter range with cap@ball revolver.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you, Jimbo. I'm made the whole kit. I enjoy shooting clays with my 20 gauge flintlock. Still need to work on my load. Pattern is too open on clays. Been told to try a longer wad column.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Was there at 7:45 this morning. Vendors area was sparse compared to this Spring, but the fall shoot is normally smaller. Was able to find the odd size balls I needed and some moose milk. Ran into some old friends. With luck, I would like to compete next year. Not that good but just for the fun and to say I did that.Would like to shoot trap and some rifle out to 100 yrs.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Jimbo-indy,
    If you want to quit buying moose milk, mix up your own. Too easy.
    1/3 Murphy's Oil soap
    1/3 rubbing alcohol
    1/3 hydrogen peroxide

You can get quart sized bottles of the peroxide and alcohol at Wally World for less than a $1 each. Murphy's Oil Soap is $3 -$4

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Scout, Thanks for the formula. I've seen several on line. If you say this one works than I will try it. Have been soaking my shotgun fiber wads in Ballistol. Works great but gets expensive. Will try your formula. Have all the ingredients already. Use Murphy's for initial barrel cleaning anyway.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I finally got to shoot my Traditions Pennsylvania .50 cal at the Winamac range today. First time shooting a M/L in almost 20 years. Getting back into it. Man...it was great. That smell of 3FG black powder. I forgot how much fun it is. It was a awesome day to shoot ,weather was perfect. My question is this though. I use "moose milk" to clean the bore and it works great. Now I need to "season" the bore. Does T/C Bore Butter work good for that? Does it prevent rust? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    I was at Friendship Sunday,------lots of parking places(at 9:15)----------------by noon most parking areas were full,--cars were backed up for at least a mile or more--past the Olean Rd..
    I took a few items to sell-------made my trip from Anderson worthwhile

Both Flea Mkts(Old Mill,and Kerr) were full and doing business--------

My wife and I shot rifle and shotgun matches at Friendsgip in the mid 70s-----
    I go back each year---not to shoot anymore--I just like the place

tallend

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I would love a sub forum for us black powder guys! Also, looking to set up a new T/C Bone Collector with BH 209 powder, any bullet suggestions for taking white tails?

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    I think a section for muzzle loading would be great I own 5 shoot all the time and an area to talk to other enthusiastic shooters would be nice

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    I would like some info on a 200 yd. load with a cast bullet w/o a sabot in a 50 cal. T/C Encore. I'm currently using a 180gr. ser. jhc, with sabot and 90grs. of t-7. Would it be possible to buy these bullets and test them until I find one that I like and then buy a mould and cast them? I can consistinly hit a 8"x8" plate with the 180gr. sabot load, but I would like to try cast bullets.
    Thanks Mike

Top Bottom