Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    A swamped barrel has an hourglass shape like a fine woman......wide at the breach, tapered in the middle and flaring back out at the muzzle. It shaves unnecessary weight off the barrel and improves balance. Looks sexy too.

Dirty Steve

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    A swamped barrel has an hourglass shape like a fine woman......wide at the breach, tapered in the middle and flaring back out at the muzzle. It shaves unnecessary weight off the barrel and improves balance. Looks sexy too.

Dirty Steve

I guess you spend a lot of time with your guns .. :)

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I just realized that I never got around to posting up the pics of my Northwest trade musket that I finished a year ago. NOt the best of pictures but it's all I've got right now. Not perfect, but the originals weren't either. 20 gauge, 42" octagon to round barrel, walnut stock. I consider this to be a work in progress and as my skills improve I will improve this cool musket. Next build is just starting and it's going to be a .58 Hawken.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Nice, I've been thinking about doing my first build and the consensus is that a Trade Musket is the best for one's first build. Hope my turn out well as yours.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Nice, I've been thinking about doing my first build and the consensus is that a Trade Musket is the best for one's first build. Hope my turn out well as yours.

Yes, I would tend to agree. I ruined the LOP on my first rifle attempt, while trying to do the butt plate. So I regrouped and tried this trade musket. It's all really straight forward and in this case does not have to be prefect looking to be correct. I have come to the conclusion that I wish more "kits" were offered with the lock area not inlet. Not a lot of maneuver room when trying to get the lock and barrel in correct when both are pre-inlet. I plan on doing another trade musket down the road, just because they are rather cool and very historic, especially out west. I think there is even one that has provenance to use in our Revolution.

EPeter213

Expert
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Just getting into shooting as a hobby since buying my first SD gun. Always loved the Black Powder shoots when I was in scouts, and thought I might look into it now that my kids are grown.

I saw a 'ready to shoot' starter kit at RK for about 230 and thought that might be a good starting point, then wondered where I would go to shoot it.

What's the policy on BP at most ranges? and has anyone with experience seen those starter kits?

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Most ranges have no problem with BP so long as you follow all the other rule. And as far as those starter kits go, after getting used to copies of real stuff, I'd almost rather use them as fence posts. But I do understand the whole cost thing. My very first build many years ago was a CVA "Hawken". It shot OK but it wasn't close to nice. Nicer kits start around $800 and require lots of hand work, cheap kits much less and it's slap together and go have fun.

I'm older now and have more patience than I used to.

Darthur

Plinker
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Good Morning guys,
    Anyone near Bargersville that likes to shoot? All my friends that shoot are not into muzzle loaders. I started shooting as a kid with my dad back in the late 70's down in Kentucky. I think he may have been into muzzle loaders when he was young because that is what was around and available for him to shoot. I know that he started building and shooting in a big way in the late 60's and 70's. I still have some of his guns as well as some that he made for me and ones that I have made. I would love to find some like minded people nearby that also enjoy building and shooting. Dwayne

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Darthur,
    Check out the Blue River Longrifle club in Greenwood. They have a Facebook page or you can do a Google search.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Good Morning guys,
    Anyone near Bargersville that likes to shoot? All my friends that shoot are not into muzzle loaders. I started shooting as a kid with my dad back in the late 70's down in Kentucky. I think he may have been into muzzle loaders when he was young because that is what was around and available for him to shoot. I know that he started building and shooting in a big way in the late 60's and 70's. I still have some of his guns as well as some that he made for me and ones that I have made. I would love to find some like minded people nearby that also enjoy building and shooting. Dwayne

Not so close but MCFG MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range start monthly M/L Shoots 22 Apr 17. MCFG Indy Range - Official Events Calendar and Schedule

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Took my Parker Hale .451 Rifle out to MCFG to do a little 100 Yard Shooting. What a nice day. Forgot how much fun BP shooting can be, I'm shooting 450 grain bullet, the barrel is marked for 90 grains of BP and 560 Grain Bullet. I can't find any, so maybe I need to get into casting mine own. The 450 grain bullet smacked the steel pretty hard at 100 yds, so can't wait to see what a 560 grain bullet does.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Thanks for the offer, I'm going to the BP Gun Show in Noblesville this weekend, I see what I can find. Right now leaning toward getting some .452 45 Long Colt Bullets and resizing them to .451. Missouri Bullet Co. has them for $58 per 400.

Top Bottom