• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    I'll have a table set up at Noblesville, this weekend. Going to put out something to identify me as an INGO member. Stop by and say hello and chat about BP.
    I'll be in period attire, btw.

Darthur

Plinker
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Scout6a, I will keep my eyes open for your table.

Singlesix, a tour would be awesome thanks. Spring is just around the corner. Although the with current weather it has been nice enough to shoot lately.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like shooting black powder I have everything but a shot gun, but have a friend trying to sell me one that he painted camo just not sure if I can clean it up or not.
    If he used rattle cans, you can use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the paint safely. Should not damage the finish on the metal, but may strip the finish on the wood. I would avoid leaving it on anything that may be brass or other soft metals for too long.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Didn't have any INGO members, that I'm aware of, stop by the table at the Conner show in Noblesville, today.
    We are on the far right side, across from the Log Cabin Shop tables. Maroon wool blanket on our table.

Darthur

Plinker
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Scout6a, Enjoyed meeting you guys. The show was great, spent a lot of time at Schipper's table looking at all the awesome engraved pieces and I really enjoyed the table with all the ballards and schutzen pieces. I also met some guys from Wetzel trace longrifles, looking forward to metting up with them and doing some shooting nearby home.
    D Arthur

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I think I may be going with a friend. We usually go Spring and Fall. If you have not been recently, you will be disappointed by how small it has become. They still have the vendors row, AKA "The Sheep Sheds" but many stalls are vacant. The primitive area, across the street is smaller too. Many of the vendors who would attend both Spring and Fall are either absent or attend only once a year. Still worth attending and you can often find some deals on supplies or locate that "special item" you have been searching for. Just not as big as a few years ago. Guess it's a sign of the times. Fewer young people taking up the traditional muzzle loader. I do credit the new NMLRA leadership for making an outreach to the in-line muzzle-loader community and opening up range dates for black powder cartridge meets. If membership decline isn't addressed the organization will fade away.

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I think I may be going with a friend. We usually go Spring and Fall. If you have not been recently, you will be disappointed by how small it has become. They still have the vendors row, AKA "The Sheep Sheds" but many stalls are vacant. The primitive area, across the street is smaller too. Many of the vendors who would attend both Spring and Fall are either absent or attend only once a year. Still worth attending and you can often find some deals on supplies or locate that "special item" you have been searching for. Just not as big as a few years ago. Guess it's a sign of the times. Fewer young people taking up the traditional muzzle loader. I do credit the new NMLRA leadership for making an outreach to the in-line muzzle-loader community and opening up range dates for black powder cartridge meets. If membership decline isn't addressed the organization will fade away.
    Membership is strong. They have competition shoots almost every weekend. They also have .22LR competitions, youth competitions, lots of classes on anything from leatherwork to basket weaving on a monthly basis. Membership is very strong - my in laws are members and keep a camper on site year round. The Spring & Fall shoot might be smaller than before in regards to vendors but that is because a lot of the riff raff trying to sell Chinese garbage no longer sell their wares (there are still some of the flea market type junk sellers, just not as many as before). To those of us who live in the area and see the weekly & monthly activities we know that the membership is strong & that they have a very good youth outreach and there are many young kids learning muzzle loader both here and at our local 4-H program. To out of towners who only poke in once a while or so it probably seems that the shoot is smaller & probably to big city Indy people there are no urban youth shooting old fashioned muzzle loaders in their areas, but the organization is not going to fade away in Friendship. Also, the overall shooting competitions during the Spring & Fall Shoot are still well attended.

Darthur

Plinker
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    I plan to go this spring. Have not been in many years. As I understand it the first weekend is the best for the commercial row vendors these days. I will be looking at parts kits from Chambers for a build. They said they will be there when I emailed them. Looking forward to the shoots particularly the long range ones.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Restroyer:
    Glad to hear NMLRA and Friendship are doing well. I can only base my opinion on what I read in Muzzle Blasts every month, what I observe and what people say at local meetings. Muzzle Blasts has had several letters and editorials concerning the ageing membership and the need to get younger people interested in muzzle loading activities. Maybe I hang around the wrong crowd. What I have seen over the past few years is the same old guys doing the same old thing and very few younger people. Again, maybe I didn't see the big picture. I think NMLRA is a great organization and want only the best for it's future. The friend I normally shoot with and attend Friendship with recently put on a traditional shooting program for his grandson's Cub Scout pack in the Cincinnati area. Was well received and included flint and steel fire making and other traditional skills. We have tried a similar program at our local club gatherings but attendance wasn't good. Again, glad to hear I was wrong.

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Jimbo - Indy: You make good points - especially about the average age of the Muzzle loader members being older. I think NMLRA are trying to play catch up somewhat and get younger members and I hope that their youth outreach program continues doing well. I think they are heading in the right direction now but in the past may have been a little slow to realize the importance of the youth programs. There is a lot of misconceptions by the general public that muzzle loading is not fun. Example at our youth 4-H shooting club there are 5 stations (archery, .22LR rifle, .22LR pistol, shotgun 5-stand, and muzzle loading). The Muzzle loading station is always the least attended. Kids can go to any station during the 2 or 3 hour programs. Lots of kids walk up to the muzzle loading stations and I hear their moms & dads say "no you don't want to shoot a muzzle loader because they have too big of a kick or recoil too hard. Let's try those shotguns instead and shoot some skeet". But the instructors only load 35 grains of powder in the black powder rifles and the kick / recoil is less than the 12 gauge shotguns they use at the skeet station. Uneducated parents are part of the problem. So hopefully people like you and your friend and other muzzle loader instructors can keep teaching the younger generation because that is great that you guys are passing on your knowledge to keep the hobby going. Hope you have a great time at the shoot this year.

Top Bottom