• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrtdrew

Plinker
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    What is everyones thoughts on using a single barrel 12ga as a muzzel loader versus just buying a designated muzzel loader? versatility vs. coast effectiveness

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    No, I don’t think it would work too good.

Like using a plane like a submarine.

What kind of ignition system are you planning on using??

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    What is everyones thoughts on using a single barrel 12ga as a muzzel loader versus just buying a designated muzzel loader? versatility vs. coast effectiveness
    You can buy a brand new inline muzzle loader for under $150 so I don't really see the point of messing with that sort of conversion. Unless you are just the kind of guy who, like me, likes to tinker and wants to see what they can accomplish. If that is your point, go for it.

CVA Buckhorn Blackpowder Rifle PR4300, 50 CAL Black Powder, Black Composite, Blue, Break Open Action - Able Ammo

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If you're just starting out, a single shot pistol is a lot less initial investment and can still be a ton of fun.
    I too think a single shot could be a blast to mess with, but as far as price on new stuff, you don't get a lot better than the specials that Cabla's runs, with regularity, on Pietta percussion revolvers.
    Right now they have brass frame 1851s for $150, Steel frame 1860s for $240 and two different sized 1858 for $230.

Cabela's: Pistols & Revolvers

Big R

Plinker
    Oct 10, 2012
    Sooo.... I've never owned a BP firearm before, but i figured i might as well dive in head first.

I got these:
    Left to Right:
    .31 5 shot cva
    .44 colt cva
    .45 derringer cva
    .45 cal Jukar
    .50 cal traditions
    0415121435.jpg

I can't wait to get started with these!

I'm thinking one or two of the single shots will become projects. Maybe make a new stock or two, try to make the tiggers suck less, or just polish them up a little.

Any and all advice on getting started in all theings BP is much appreciated!

Very Nice!

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Very Nice!
    Thanks!

The .31 is all kinds of messed up and can't be shot.
    The .44 revolver has a bad spring and can't be shot.
    The .45 Derringer needs a better path from flash hole to barrel and can't be shot.
    The .45 Jakar likes to stick cleaning patches in the barrel, but shoots great!
    The Traditions .50 shoots like a sniper rifle, er pistol. er like a big, heavy, akward, mildly accurate muzzle loading pistol.

Edit: Actually re-reading this thread makes me want to try these things out again! I've almost forgotten how much these little things can------ upset me. Especially when shooting at a range that charges by the hour!! I need to fix the derringer, i was really looking forward to shooting that and i was pretty bummed it didn't work! The .44 is just a parts order that hasn't happened and is a very low priority. The .31 is a lost cause. The jakar was fun to shoot, as was the .50 but the .50 was just too heavy. It'd be more fun slimmed down like the jakar.

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    A lost cause because you can't get parts or because the frame is damaged?

The frame is not damaged and i am sure the parts exist. However, at this point in my shooting career i cannot justify spending money on this gun. It might actually just need a spring and a front sight. And some general polishing/clean up. Come to think of it, the trigger is also dangerously light. I havn't had the gun apart, but i suspect something was filed to much. Even if it did lock up(it doesn't) i wouldn't shoot it wihout fixing the trigger. I've considered giving it away to someone as a wall hanger, but so far it's only sat in the safe, occasionlly brought out to fondle and then put away.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Who will be going to the Pre 1840's Trade Fair in Greenfield?

This is being put on by Blue River Longrifles and will be held at the National Guard Armory at 400-416 N Apple St. in Greenfield.

Hours are 9-5 on Saturday (Nov 17) and 9-3 on Sunday (Nov 18).

I plan on getting there early on Sunday.

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    What could an attendee expect to see at this event? Lots of for-sale tables? How many people? Proceeds go to anyone(the Longrifles, for exampe.

Does pre 1840 mean no percussion, or just no brass casings?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    What could an attendee expect to see at this event? Lots of for-sale tables? How many people? Proceeds go to anyone(the Longrifles, for exampe.

Does pre 1840 mean no percussion, or just no brass casings?
    I've not been to one of these, but from the flyer available on their web site and their add in Muzzle Blasts, it should be much like most gun shows but limited to muzzle loading era firearms and related items.

You can have a look at their web site here.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Where do you get 3F and 4F GOEX close to Muncie?
    I used to get mine at Lundco. As far as I can determine, there are no other options near Muncie

Now that the shop is no longer in business, I will most likely order from one of the distributors.

If anyone in the Muncie area would be interested in a group buy, let me know.

D-Bo

Plinker
    Oct 26, 2009
    Funcie
    Thanks Vedearduff. I got a new flitlock coming in two weeks and am trying to get some soon. I am going to have to go to Indy and pick some up I think. I hate driving in Indy!

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I got out and shot my BP Jakar .45 pistol this weekend! It was fun, shot with two people who'd never shot a BP pistol before(one had never even seen BP fired!). It was a blast! We were shooting out of a barn, on account of the rain and HAIL, so we filled the barn with smoke on every shot! good fun! Thank you guys for making me love these things again!

tnrick55

Plinker
    Oct 27, 2012
    bluffton
    For the money a CVA Wolf starter kit is hard to beat. Got one in my safe now that is a good shooter and dropped several dear with it. You should be able to find em on clearance online now or real soon, as seasons are ending. Best part there is, you can buy muzzle loaders online since no background check is needed.

Let us know what ya get, when you make the jump!

i have a wolf i mite sell.:ar15:

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I looked up Goex BP and the only distributor they list is Deer Creek Products in Waldron, IN just southeast of Shelbyville. DCP used to be owned by Erwin Fagle but not sure he's stiill with it. Their hours ar M-F 10am till 4pm (sunds like bankers hours to me) and the number is 765-525-6181. If that's too far they may be able to set you on the path to someone closer to where you are. HTH
    Bill

Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    omBill -- Welcome to the forum & the BP sub-group.

The Goex website maybe out of date; I know the The Outdoorsman (south of Greenwood) carries Goex BP.

Top Bottom