• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Here is a early Thompson Center Hawken I recently picked up that had dark tarnished brass thoughout but the bore was in excellent condition. I spent a couple hours cleaning up the brass, new nipple, cleaned up the double triggers and tuned them and rubbed out the stock with Murphys Oil Soap. As you can see the brass was worth the effort!

Thawken_leftCustom_zps3ae329ae.jpg

Thawken_rightCustom_zps2add2d64.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Here is a early Thompson Center Hawken I recently picked up that had dark tarnished brass thoughout but the bore was in excellent condition. I spent a couple hours cleaning up the brass, new nipple, cleaned up the double triggers and tuned them and rubbed out the stock with Murphys Oil Soap. As you can see the brass was worth the effort!

Looks like she cleaned up nice. I still have the TC Hawken that I bought new in 1985. I can't tell you how many patched round balls I've put through it, nor how many miles I've walked in the woods deer hunting with it. It's probably my favorite gun. Mine has a braided deer hide thong on the trigger guard from the first deer I killed with the gun back in '85.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Jun 2, 2013
    Do a pol see how many ML lovers such as myself would find a ML forum useful and spend time at it. I shoot my MLs (all inlines) more than any other long gun I own. In 20 years of owning inlines I've fired well over 3000 loads out of them. Crap thats allot of money;) up in smoke so to speek.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Jun 2, 2013
    Always wanted a T/C Hawken, should have bought one back when they were still on the friendly side of $400. I own a Encore, a T/C Scout, a Knight Extreme, and a 10ML-II. Love the look the Hawken.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Always wanted a T/C Hawken, should have bought one back when they were still on the friendly side of $400. I own a Encore, a T/C Scout, a Knight Extreme, and a 10ML-II. Love the look the Hawken.

If you watch GunBroker there are some deals. I don't know where you live but I know of a Thompson Center Hawken in Indy for a great price. They can ship directly to your door.

I just returned from the range and put 21 rounds through the Hawken. Unfortunately I found that my .018 ticking patches I had with me are too thick. Luckily I had a piece of material with me that I use for a cleaning cloth that was .008, it was on the thin side of what I would have wanted but it worked with a small amount of Ballistol I had. I found that for paper punching it likes 70 grains of Goex FF.

I ordered some 18"x36" ticking material online as soon as I got home. Some at .015 and another at .010, I'll then see what it likes.

Last edited:

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Apr 21, 2011
    Got the flintlock out a couple of days ago & had a great time dialing it in. Cant wait to get back to the range.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just returned from the range and shot both the Traditions and Thompson Hawkens. For a plinking load they both liked 50 grains of Goex FF throwing a patched round ball and proved to be very accurate at 50 yards. Unfortunately I wasn't able to move over to the 100 yard benches since it was busy there today. In lieu of this I concentrated on getting setup for a 3 inch high shot at 50 yards. The Traditions liked 80 grains and the Thompson was a bit more finicky but shot well at 85 grains. These should get me close at a 100 yards.

Only thing missing was a small camp fire and some bacon in a cast iron skillet!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I HATE IT WHEN THIS HAPPENS!! Which way to go now? I have been out of the BP arena now for about 15 + years but have still maintained somewhat of a fondness for the sport.I gave it up when I gave up deer hunting (lack of free time) and moved on to other firearms. Well as of lately I have been watching and looking for a Marlin 39a Mountie .22 lever action to go with my Marlin 39a standard lever action .22. Well today I spotted a BEAUTIFUL Traditions Pennsylvania BP rifle and now I am contemplating ditching the Marlin 22 idea and getting back in to the BP world again with the Traditions. Not hunting...just shooting (same as I would have done with the 22 Marlin). What do you BP lovers think I should do? Thoughts please.BTW getting both right now is not even an option (not rich enough):dunno:

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I HATE IT WHEN THIS HAPPENS!! Which way to go now? I have been out of the BP arena now for about 15 + years but have still maintained somewhat of a fondness for the sport.I gave it up when I gave up deer hunting (lack of free time) and moved on to other firearms. Well as of lately I have been watching and looking for a Marlin 39a Mountie .22 lever action to go with my Marlin 39a standard lever action .22. Well today I spotted a BEAUTIFUL Traditions Pennsylvania BP rifle and now I am contemplating ditching the Marlin 22 idea and getting back in to the BP world again with the Traditions. Not hunting...just shooting (same as I would have done with the 22 Marlin). What do you BP lovers think I should do? Thoughts please.BTW getting both right now is not even an option (not rich enough):dunno:
    Go with the Traditions, especially if it's a flintlock.

What caliber is the traditions?

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Just received this beauty in the mail. Would have been cool if the mail would have come by horse to make the occasion even more special but the mail truck will have to do!

BNIB from a gentleman in New Mexico for a very nice deal...

Uberti Walker
    DSC_0697Custom_zpsfef0c300.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Very nice gun....It does not look like it was used much. Have you shot it yet?????

That Walker is such a big wonderful gun, Shows you what happens when a soldier helps design a gun he wants. :)

A photo I have always loved is an old picture of a young man in California sporting his Walker by his side... And as if the Walker is not a big gun now...

160 years ago it was even bigger for those who carried it because of their smaller stature.

walker-colt-holster-2.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Gosh Streight-shooter, You have me on a Walker kick.. Another photo of a Walker, But God that Holster is to die for...

I would love to know how glove tight that holster was, In the photo you can see the wedge and loading arm so clearly it makes you wonder if the holster was formed on that gun..

walker-colt-holster-1.jpg

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Awesome photos guys and those holsters are great! Talk about carrying some weight around on your side. Back in those days I guess you needed to be prepared. Although these days it's no different.

fireman1212224

Plinker
    Dec 30, 2009
    I miss my old cap and ball revolver. I want to get back into it soon as I can find one cheap. I even had a flintlock. I would kimd of like to see a seperate group for them

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've got a new in the box Uberti 1851 London Navy open top on it's way here in the mail. I'll be sure to post photos of it when I get it. All steel frame, back strap and trigger guard on this one. No brass trimmings to be had. I like the look of brass especially with a heat treated frame but figured I'd go with something a little different this time. Wild Bill Hickok would be proud!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom