• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Screenshot_2015-08-23-15-35-41_zpsnrzu4g2r.png
    [/URL][/IMG]

Anyone else using black powder on tree chickens?

Nice, what cal?
    Got this one last week. .36 cal Only 10 snots yet but it looks very accurate and shoots nice.
    DSC_3379.jpg

DSC_3376.jpg

Got it for the Gathering at 5 Medals but will be taking it to the woods too.

Attachments

• DSC_3379.jpg
      DSC_3379.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 5

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    ScouT6a:

Good job on the limb bacon, and I like the rifle, bag and horn.

Digital_photog:

I think I've seen your rifle before, in a thread on another forum. I didn't realize, there, that we were located in the same state. When, and where, is Gathering at 5 Medals?

Edited to add: I just found the web site, looks like I need to do some trip planning.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    ScouT6a:

Good job on the limb bacon, and I like the rifle, bag and horn.

Digital_photog:

I think I've seen your rifle before, in a thread on another forum. I didn't realize, there, that we were located in the same state. When, and where, is Gathering at 5 Medals?

Edited to add: I just found the web site, looks like I need to do some trip planning.

Gathering at 5 Medals is just a few miles from my house. If you come up look for a friend and me at the blacksmith shop. It is a good little event.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have decided to sell my Colt 1860 Army second generation .44 black-powder revolver set. I want to use the money from that sale as "seed money" to purchase a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with 24" barrel and checkered stock and forearm. My only dilemma is... do I get a .357/.38 or a .45 Long Colt? I will be target shooting with it mainly. I do not reload because I have limited space. Which one to choose?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Looking forward to trying out the .52 fast twist bore on a TC Renegade stock.
    Paper patch, of course. And flintlock.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    The rifle in the picture with the squirrel is a Jacob Dickert in .36 caliber that I built. Made the whole kit, rifle, bag and horn.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    The rifle in the picture with the squirrel is a Jacob Dickert in .36 caliber that I built. Made the whole kit, rifle, bag and horn.

Nice, I like it. I still want to build a Christian Beck. J. P. Beck and 3 different Christian Becks all made rifles. They were all related. In fact they all are related to me. One of them is my Great-great-great grandfather. I had the privilege to shoot one of his original rifles owned by my Dad's cousin. All 4 of the Becks built their rifles very similar. My Great-great-great grandfathers were usually a little less ornate than most of the J. P. Beck. Very few had patch boxes or much brass. More in line with the trade rifles.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Winamac, in my opinion, if you are mainly looking at target shooting with the new Marlin lever gun and you don't reload, I would go with the .38/.357 Cheaper ammo costs would be my biggest sell. If you did decide to hunt with it, look toward a good cast, heavy bullet in .357

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Digital_photog, My first rifle build was a J.P. Beck rifle in .45 caliber. I like the lines of J.P.'s rifles better than the Christian Beck guns. Getting to shoot the original gun had to be an amazing opportunity for you. Someone has definitely taken good care of the rifle but be extremely careful. The wrought iron barrels with full length forge welded seams are iffy, at best, after 200+ years.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Digital_photog, My first rifle build was a J.P. Beck rifle in .45 caliber. I like the lines of J.P.'s rifles better than the Christian Beck guns. Getting to shoot the original gun had to be an amazing opportunity for you. Someone has definitely taken good care of the rifle but be extremely careful. The wrought iron barrels with full length forge welded seams are iffy, at best, after 200+ years.
    We shot it with very light loads and not very often. Didn't want to damage the gun or injure anyone. It has been a prized possession in the family.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Digital_photog,
    If you check Pennsylvania records, you'll find several more gun builders named Beck.
    Abraham Beck
    Ashbury Beck
    3 - Christian Becks
    Christopher Beck
    Gideon Beck
    Jacob Beck
    John Philip Beck
    John Valentine Beck
    William Beck

I have more info on the three Christian Becks, if you are interested. DOB, DOD, birthplace, burial locations, etcetera.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    It would be interesting to see if the Christian Beck and Jacob Beck are the same ones that are the closest related to me. Some of those names are used over so often that it gets difficult keeping them all straight. I do have the information in my Great-great-great grandfather and great-great grandfather so I could see if you have the same ones. Both of them did make rifles, both were born in PA.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    The following info is from the book, Arms Makers of Pennsylvania.

Christian Henry Beck 1754-1843 Born in Bethlehem, PA on 7/17/1754 died on 2/21/1843. Buried at the Moravian graveyard at Nazareth. Married to Anna Christina Eyerly.

Christian Beck 1787-1845

Christian Beck 1813-1886 Born in PA died in Marion County, IN Capt. in the Union Army

Jacob Beck born 1818 Lebanon county PA died 1870 Montgomery County, IL

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    The following info is from the book, Arms Makers of Pennsylvania.

Christian Henry Beck 1754-1843 Born in Bethlehem, PA on 7/17/1754 died on 2/21/1843. Buried at the Moravian graveyard at Nazareth. Married to Anna Christina Eyerly.

Christian Beck 1787-1845 My Great-great-great grandfather. Buried Lauber Hill Cemetery, Archbold, Ohio

Christian Beck 1813-1886 Born in PA died in Marion County, IN Capt. in the Union Army

Jacob Beck born 1818 Lebanon county PA died 1870 Montgomery County, IL

My Great-great grandfather was named Jacob Beck. Now do you see why this gets confusing?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Winamac, in my opinion, if you are mainly looking at target shooting with the new Marlin lever gun and you don't reload, I would go with the .38/.357 Cheaper ammo costs would be my biggest sell. If you did decide to hunt with it, look toward a good cast, heavy bullet in .357

ScouT6a, Thanks for the input. I was kinda leaning in that direction or 45LC, but what you say makes logical sense. Thanks

REDBIRD

Plinker
    Jan 28, 2014
    INDIANA
    Sounds good. Blackpowder very popular in my area. Local club has very large event every labor day weekend. Stones Trace.

Top Bottom