• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am not as deep into this mad science experiment yet to go French press but the whole bean/grinder thing is a leap up from pre-ground. I have a blade style grinder as that was all I could find on the shelf but brother it is worth the effort.

Dont overthink. Run to Meijer and buy a Bodum. They are only like $15-30 depending on the size. not a huge investment. Just not Target, they charge half again as everyone else.

Good catch on the water.
    That's like one major ingredient for coffee to be overlooked.

And if you don't have access to good water, maybe you're camping, you could always use beer. Lets face it, nobody's without beer. I once used beer for my Cap'n-Crunch because of no milk. Yes it was just awful but breakfast in the afternoon is the most important meal of the day.
    And when you run out of beer, you could always use.....

Water is EVERYTHING to a drink. Ever wonder why the best bourbon comes from KY? Its because of their hard water. That extra dissolved limestone helps the living organisms do their jobs and make an excellent bourbon.

On a related note, remember 2-3 grains of salt (also minerals) can enhance the taste of the coffee without making you taste the salt itself.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dont overthink. Run to Meijer and buy a Bodum. They are only like $15-30 depending on the size. not a huge investment. Just not Target, they charge half again as everyone else.

Water is EVERYTHING to a drink. Ever wonder why the best bourbon comes from KY? Its because of their hard water. That extra dissolved limestone helps the living organisms do their jobs and make an excellent bourbon.

On a related note, remember 2-3 grains of salt (also minerals) can enhance the taste of the coffee without making you taste the salt itself.

Again with the salt…….Man I need a lab coat.

Lets see.…..
    -lab coat...Check
    -Pocket protector...Check
    -Graph paper...Check
    -Slide rule...Yup
    -Poindexter mad scientist glasses tapped at the bridge...OK

-Ceramic nob grinder.....on the list. Blade style will have to do but will skew the curve on the results.
    -French press...on the list.
    -Gold mesh screen :coffee: brewing device....Check
    -Fresh beans....Check
    -Filtered bottled water...Check
    -Salt...…...WTF

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

At home I use R/O water to make coffee. At work the water is unfiltered. The coffee I make at home is way better than work. Hard water does add some flavor to coffee, but believing that it makes it better is only a matter of taste.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again with the salt…….Man I need a lab coat.

Lets see.…..
    -lab coat...Check
    -Pocket protector...Check
    -Graph paper...Check
    -Slide rule...Yup
    -Poindexter mad scientist glasses tapped at the bridge...OK

-Ceramic nob grinder.....on the list. Blade style will have to do but will skew the curve on the results.
    -French press...on the list.
    -Gold mesh screen :coffee: brewing device....Check
    -Fresh beans....Check
    -Filtered bottled water...Check
    -Salt...…...WTF

That’s just a stereotype. I’ve never had to duct tape the bridge of my glasses. It’s usually the hinge. But only if I don’t have a screw on hand that fits to replace the one that fell out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OT

Really Apple? “fellacio”? :facepalm: I start keying in “fell” and you suggest “fellatio”? :rolleyes: Have they gone mad?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    maybe you use the term frequently.
    Well. When I post about Obama’s relationship with Putin, I did tend to use the term.

Sorry for the threadjack as this one is about making coffee great again.

So about that. I may try the 3 grains of salt in a cup. But I’m gonna stick with the RO filtered water.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For the record, I only use salt on the rare occasion and only if it’s the good coffee. I usually forget it most mornings.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Hmm... Salt. I've got some of that pink Himalayan stuff around here somewhere. I'll have to give tomorrow's batch a touch.

For water I've been buying the bulk Primo filtered water at Meijer. It's $.59 a gallon if you need the jug and refills are $.39.
    Indianapolis tap water murdered two machines before I started doing that. My new machine isn't having any calcification issues now.

Top Bottom