• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Just built one using foliage green and I love the color. There's really no difference. Getting ready to start a 300BLK build, which will probably use all black parts.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    After I saw a snow camo SUV at the local great wal... well, it seems naturally to follow that AR's should get paint jobs to suit terrain, season and locale.
    Vaya con dios muchachos.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    You do realize the AR was developed in brown, first adopted (very briefly) as OD and then it was changed to black back when it should have spent another few years in development, doncha? Black may now be "traditional" but brown and OD were the original, and not only look much better, but also tend to blend much better. I paint every black rifle I get, so I don't bother buying black if other options are available.

Yes, I am aware of that history. For a range or home defense gun, color is simply a matter of personal preference, beyond that it doesn't matter unless you are talking about a rifle for "serious field use." For that purpose I heartily agree that a rifle should be painted to match the intended terrain...which is why in either case I don't worry about picking parts colors and just go with black. It either fits my tastes and purposes as-is, or it's going to get completely painted to match the terrain (in which case the original color didn't matter). As always, YMMV.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a OD green AR and I love it but it still is not "flashy" enough :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Yes, I am aware of that history. For a range or home defense gun, color is simply a matter of personal preference, beyond that it doesn't matter unless you are talking about a rifle for "serious field use." For that purpose I heartily agree that a rifle should be painted to match the intended terrain...which is why in either case I don't worry about picking parts colors and just go with black. It either fits my tastes and purposes as-is, or it's going to get completely painted to match the terrain (in which case the original color didn't matter). As always, YMMV.

Most of my rifles are set up for possible serious usage, outside my hunting shotguns. One of the advantages of wood, is it often is finished a color that miraculously blends well with the forest floor, and it seems to not have the plasticy sound when vegetation rubs against it. My next AR is still in the infancy of the planning phase, and I'm slowly getting parts. I'm still debating the stocks I want.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have 2 OD Green ones, a FDE Colt 6920, and an all black Windham MPC. I got tired of spending the money to change out black for OD so I got a FDE, then an all black. They all shoot good, so it does not matter on color to me any more.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Most of my stuff is in black, but I don't really care; parts is parts. They're just tools, and I'm not the guy that has my tools outlined on the pegboard. You can tell mine are used. I don't have anything in neon colors so far, so none of it screams out "hey UN guy, I'm over here". I do have a juglans nigra tree out front I'm going to be cutting down, and I want to make one of those pretty wood stocks from that.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Most of my stuff is in black, but I don't really care; parts is parts. They're just tools, and I'm not the guy that has my tools outlined on the pegboard. You can tell mine are used. I don't have anything in neon colors so far, so none of it screams out "hey UN guy, I'm over here". I do have a juglans nigra tree out front I'm going to be cutting down, and I want to make one of those pretty wood stocks from that.

If you only knew how many times I've sat down and designed a walnut collapsible stock, you would laugh your behind off. Someday I might really do it.

Top Bottom