• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    No discussions of race on INGO. Violation of the rules. I guess as long as the OP simply leaves the link and it is not actually discussed in the following thread, it is OK.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I thought the WSJ article that OP's article references was a better read.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323869604578366882484600710.html

The article explains that, while some groups are disproportionately represented in the effects of gun violence, being a member of those groups isn't the cause of the violence.

Murders with guns are the No. 1 cause of death for African-American men between the ages of 15 and 34. But talking about race in the context of guns would also mean taking on a subject that can't be addressed by passing a law: the family-breakdown issues that lead too many minority children to find social status and power in guns.

"Last year there were 443 murders with firearms in [Chicago] and 65 were people under 18," Mr. Obama said. "That's the equivalent of a Newtown every four months. This is not just a gun issue. It is also an issue of the communities that we are building."

The shame and silence is enforced by civil-rights leaders who speak in support of gun control but never about a dysfunctional gangster-rap culture that glorifies promiscuity, drug dealers and the power of the gun.

The author's article indicates that he is concerned with gun violence being a byproduct of socioeconomic problems that many people in our country face. But he makes it a point that those people affected are disproportionately minorities.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OP's article is hilarious, as it implies that President Obama, by inviting Jay-Z to the White House, is condoning the murder of black Americans.

The president is wasis!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Kutnupe14 -

I agree - it has EVERYTHING to do with the breakdown of the family - but nothing to do with the gangsta rap or the color of someone's skin or anything of the kind.

Break the family structure down in ANY particular segment of society and you get violence and acting out.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why IBTL? I'm not sure what freedom outpost is maybe that's why? However, a cursory look at some of the data within CDC indicates that the numbers in the article are not incorrect. Is it because it's an article about a specific minority group?

Discussions about race, like discussions about religion, ALWAYS end poorly on INGO, which is why the topics were proscribed. People couldn't have rational discussions without devolving into racial slurs, name calling, and so forth. There was even a thread a few months ago just asking to have the rule re-examined and it almost immediately turned into a "my god is better than your god!" scream fest. It was embarrassing.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Discussions about race, like discussions about religion, ALWAYS end poorly on INGO, which is why the topics were proscribed. People couldn't have rational discussions without devolving into racial slurs, name calling, and so forth.

And what's wrong with an occasional knock down , drag out , snot slinger ? It's how we learn to communicate , it's for everyone's edification .

I've advocated for a members only "free fire zone" for just those reasons .

A special thread where only members of that section can go to hash things out as best they can on a computer .

That way there's no neg reppin or crying to mods and nobody has to be banned .

There was even a thread a few months ago just asking to have the rule re-examined and it almost immediately turned into a "my god is better than your god!" scream fest.

It was embarrassing.

Says the guy who's avatar clearly mocks the pope and the catholic faith !

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    50cent_0420.jpg

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    When a void is created it must be filled by something! While I do not hold rap music, violent video games, promiscuity, alcohol/drug use or even slavery totally for the situations in our inner cities the existence and glorification of these are strong contributing factors.

Solutions anyone?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    40,000 years ago crime probably got started when one caveman bashed another over the head with a rock in order to take his food, or his mate.

It's always been about money (possessions). Haves and have-nots.

It's a genuine social dilemma. We're capitalists. We want to encourage competition to bring out the best in us. But winners need losers .. yin/yang. So we're always going to have haves and have-nots. As the gap between rich and poor gets bigger, social/economic tension increases. This gap has grown a lot in the past 40 years.

It's not about race .. it's about money and the things that go with it .. power, prestige, a feeling of success, a feeling of satisfaction, contentment, self-worth, etc ... and the LACK of those things in people without money. But people have to find ways to feel good about themselves .. it's wired into us to not walk around feeling like failures. So we create sub-cultures of people in similar circumstances, and we act to make ourselves 'successful' within that subculture .. so you end up with gangsta rappers, or hippies, or low-riders, or even INGO gun owners and we identify with those groups. It's all about feeling good about ourselves.

Social giveaway programs have tried to lessen the imbalance, but they don't work well. Most people receiving charity are not proud of it .. it doesn't make people FEEL good about themselves. And those of us who have had greater success need to remember that everyone has a place in society .. even the poorest of us.

What we really need is jobs, and for each of us to feel that we're making a contribution. How we get there, I have no clue. But I think the answer is there somewhere .. and it's all about the money.

Top Bottom