Blow out bag, stop the bleed bag, trauma kit-What to get? How to set it up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks. I wouldn't be doing it for a job, just the knowledge and ability to help if needed. And one thing I have learned from my 92 year old mom is that learning new things keeps your mind sharp and life more interesting.

I'm nearing the twilight years of career work. I have about 7 more years left in the full time work force if things work out okay.
    I recently (2019) completed EMR. Certainly some very useful info learned. I'm definitely interested in a "wilderness responder" type course.

I will take a pic/rundown this evening of what is in my kits, and we can compare notes. I'm fairly new to all this myself, within the last 5 years. Varying items depend on where they are kept. (Vehicles have boo-boo stuff for kids, vest loadouts are trauma only)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I recently (2019) completed EMR. Certainly some very useful info learned. I'm definitely interested in a "wilderness responder" type course.

I will take a pic/rundown this evening of what is in my kits, and we can compare notes. I'm fairly new to all this myself, within the last 5 years. Varying items depend on where they are kept. (Vehicles have boo-boo stuff for kids, vest loadouts are trauma only)

that would be great! Thanks. Sorry you couldn’t make the STB class.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Ok here goes, so bear with me. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, and these kits are not all inclusive for every scenario. I build them based on my experience and current knowledge base.
    All kits are "piece mealed" together from various sources. I will do my best to list everything within. With a little of your own research you can find many valuable items at a lower cost than most premade kits.
    I hope this helps those just starting, and appreciate constructive feedback from more experienced members.

Kit 1 (Primary Rig):
    3x Super Sponge
    3x rolled gauze
    2x gel absorbent pad
    Ace bandage roll
    Small bottle h2o2
    2 pair sealed gloves
    Hyfin Chest seal 2pack
    Chem light
    Tampon
    Ziploc w/ alcohol wipes, aspirin, etc.
    Israeli bandage, sealed
    Oral Airways (3 sizes)
    *TQ w/ shears mounted to rig directly
    166401dde6eb2c6e41995c68d140dc55.jpg
    773123ca7bcdc50927173a726d1581ad.jpg

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Kit 2 (Secondary Rig):
    2x Super Sponge
    2x rolled gauze
    2 pair sealed gloves
    Hyfin Chest seal 2pack
    Israeli bandage, sealed
    Chem light
    Tampon
    TQ w/ shears mounted to rig directly
    1dcb0465abeb515ead57d0f50789c70f.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Kit 3 (Truck & van each):
    3x Super Sponge
    3x rolled gauze
    2x gel absorbent pad
    Ace bandage roll
    Small bottle h2o2
    2 pair sealed gloves
    Hyfin Chest seal 2pack
    Triangular bandage
    Chem light
    Tampon
    Israeli bandage, sealed
    Oral Airways (3 sizes)
    CPR mask
    Ziploc w/ alcohol wipes, aspirin, boo-boo stuff
    TQ w/ shears mounted to pack directly
    Stethoscope & BP cuff in adjacent bag mounted
    "EMT knife" w/ belt cutter
    Flashlight
    b50af057ba7065ae4086aeaa917bcf84.jpg

94857a3de57478daad30a7b8872cc980.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ok here goes, so bear with me. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, and these kits are not all inclusive for every scenario. I build them based on my experience and current knowledge base.
    All kits are "piece mealed" together from various sources. I will do my best to list everything within. With a little of your own research you can find many valuable items at a lower cost than most premade kits.
    I hope this helps those just starting, and appreciate constructive feedback from more experienced members.

Kit 1 (Primary Rig):
    3x Super Sponge
    3x rolled gauze
    2x gel absorbent pad
    Ace bandage roll
    Small bottle h2o2
    2 pair sealed gloves
    Hyfin Chest seal 2pack
    Chem light
    Tampon
    Ziploc w/ alcohol wipes, aspirin, etc.
    Israeli bandage, sealed
    Oral Airways (3 sizes)
    *TQ w/ shears mounted to rig directly
    166401dde6eb2c6e41995c68d140dc55.jpg
    773123ca7bcdc50927173a726d1581ad.jpg

Do you have info on the bag?

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Not sure if you are up for the added weight, but a skin stapler, steri strips, and skin glue (Dermabond or equivalent) is what we use in surgery and are fairly cheap online.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That Condor bag is on my short list along with the NAR kits.

I would stay away from the Condor pouches. I have one and the metal snaps on the Velcro base pad that hold it to the Molle webbing broke off almost immediately after I attached it to a rifle bag. I can still use the pouch with out the "tear away" feature, but the isn't really any other way to attach it to anything.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would stay away from the Condor pouches. I have one and the metal snaps that connect the loops to the body of the bag ripped off almost immediately after I attached it to a rifle bag. Now I can only loop one strap through Molle webbing. Complete junk.

Good to know. I understand that they are lower end product. I have one of their chest rigs which is probably not that great. But for my purposes it will be fine. But the med kit will get used more.

I am now looking more at the NAR and the ITS Tallboy, though that one my get crossed off due to the high price.

NAR is running a sale on their kits, but so far it appears not on the bag only. I'll have to get my calculator out and see if I should just buy the kit and add/subtract to get it where I want it or buy the bag only and fill it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good to know. I understand that they are lower end product. I have one of their chest rigs which is probably not that great. But for my purposes it will be fine. But the med kit will get used more.

I am now looking more at the NAR and the ITS Tallboy, though that one my get crossed off due to the high price.

NAR is running a sale on their kits, but so far it appears not on the bag only. I'll have to get my calculator out and see if I should just buy the kit and add/subtract to get it where I want it or buy the bag only and fill it.

Lol. Same here. I only bought the med pouch because my Condor chest rig has held up pretty well. I was warned about Condor quality before I bought it, but I had no issues with the chest rig. I rolled the dice on the med pouch and the snap broke like the third time I tried to 'tear away' the main pouch from the Velcro base pad.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I would stay away from the Condor pouches. I have one and the metal snaps on the Velcro base pad that hold it to the Molle webbing broke off almost immediately after I attached it to a rifle bag. I can still use the pouch with out the "tear away" feature, but the isn't really any other way to attach it to anything.
    I typically remove fabric fasteners strip and use malice clips whenever possible. More durable and slimmer profile. This pack was given that treatment.

Top Bottom