• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    As far as product goes - next time your in the store give them your email and they'll set you up on their email sales list. They seem to come out weekly and have pretty nice deals. Their last one offered a box of Remington Golden Spear +p .45 ACP ammo for 14.99. Limit one box per customer though (per day I guess)??

As far as transfers go - do yourself a favor and find a local guy (out of his house) that has his FFL to do your transfers and sales. Most guys charge $15-20 for transfers.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I've followed this forum for a while, but finally decided to register and post something. Maybe Blythe's has tried to improve over the past year or two... I've been going in there on and off for about 25 years. I agree that they have been sort of "standoff-ish" to talk to, but maybe they're working on that, too.

I was looking around to trade in a Colt Woodsman for a compact to subcompact sized auto for conceal carry. After looking around at a few different shops in the area (the big ones), as well as the internet, I decided to go with something in the 9mm. It was a toss up between a Walther PPS and the new Ruger LC9... the Ruger was more around my price point for what I wanted it for, and I've had few other firearms from Ruger that I was really happy with.

I had already brought the Woodsman into the store to get an idea of what they would take for it, and it was very much in line with the valuation of a 3rd-series target model in it's condition (taking into consideration trade-in value, not selling outright). That being the case, I was willing to overlook Blythe's typical markup on their firearms, which in the price range for the LC9 to PPS, looks to be about $50-$100 more than the internet prices.

This is where it gets interesting... when I finally decided to go in and give them my business, they were very courteous, attempting to get the paperwork going and done as quickly as possible (I was on my lunch break and didn't have a lot of time). When the gentleman pulled the pistol down from the wall, I said, "I think it was tagged at $429 when I looked at it last", and he took a look at the tag and said, "How about I give it to you for $399?"

That really floored me that I didn't even have to enter into bartering with them... they just gave me a break from their tagged price right from the get-go. I know that $399 is a little on the high side compared to LC9 internet prices, but when you add in a transfer fee, it really starts to get very close to what you can order online.

Anyway, who knows, maybe their coming around some from years past... at least it was a positive experience for me. :)

I agree 100%.

I had always been told they were high priced and would not deal. I was wrong!

I was working in Valpo yesterday and stopped in and bought two guns unexpectedly. $599 price tag on one and I said how about $509 and the response was how about $499. Second one tag says $899, I ask best price and told $799 (but I paid $794 because I said $850 with tax). These were two HK's that I know the prices of very well and they were great deals.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I was reminded today why I hate dealing with Blythes in Valpo. I was looking for a S&W Bodyguard 38. Midwest has them on sale for $399.00. I have also seen them online for that price or less. I thought I would give them another chance based on the post 2 above this one. I live in the Valpo area, and thought I would try to patronize the local merchant. That was a big mistake. They had the item tagged $499.00, and basically laughed at my offer of $399.00 cash. That offer would effectively be $412.00 if I were paying with a credit card, and most merchants pay ~3%. They made no attempt to negotiate or make counter offer, it was simply NO we can't do that. I travel to South bend on a regular basis as my son lives in that area. Midwest will get the business, and Blythes can KMA. That is the last time I will attempt to do business with them.

Last edited:

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    just bought a s&w bodyguard 380 the other day from griffith for $329 not sure if the 38's we're higher tho, no idea. always been happy with griffith

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I've bought two pistols from the Griffith location. my MKIII 22/45 and my KT P3AT. Both were very competitively priced. But that's not usual. Their prices on most guns tend to be quite high. Same at Westforth. And the transfer fees are nuts. How could they charge that much to make a phone call? Wow.

They'd rather sell the gun themselves? Well gee whiz, I'd rather get it for free but it doesn't work that way. If I'm a savvy enough shopper that I'm informed on online gun purchasing and am shopping around for price that much...here's a hint: I'm not gonna pay $150 more to buy from you just because your transer fee is tremendous. I'm ordering from Bud's. Now you can take $30 to make a 2 min phone call, or you can get nothing and I'll go somewhere else. :twocents:

Casey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I bought my first pistol at Blythes in Valpo recently, the prices didn't seem that bad to me and they ended up coming down on the price of the one I purchased. It took a little goading but they did. I asked if the price listed was firm, the guy said that was the sale price, so then I asked if the price was firm (again), and they ended up knocking off enough to cover the tax.

Bass Pro is nice to look at if they are having a sale on a gun you want but otherwise their prices are pretty high.

I was only looking at pistols in both places though, so maybe the reverse is true on long guns?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    bought one handgun there. $600, Blythes in Griffith told me $720 for same gun and 3 weeks... Went to Valpo had the gun same DAY.....

The range SUCKS though.... I wouldve rather burned my free day pass for heat in the winter than shot there

Casey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Valparaiso
    bought one handgun there. $600, Blythes in Griffith told me $720 for same gun and 3 weeks... Went to Valpo had the gun same DAY.....

The range SUCKS though.... I wouldve rather burned my free day pass for heat in the winter than shot there

I am going sometime next week to do some shooting, what's close and cheap that's a good place to shoot? In or near Valpo?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i went yesterday and thought the selection was a lot better. lots of black rifles, AK's and tacticool shot guns. they seemed pretty high on some things and ok on others. i did see a good deal on shot gun shells. i guess it depends on what your looking for and their mood?

jake

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I've been to Blythe's several times. Have alway's had good service. They know me by name whenever I go in there. When I am looking at a particular gun, I always ask if they can do any better than the marked price. Let's say $500.00 marked, they come down $30 or 40. I'll say $450? then I usually get it for that. Never had a bad time in there. I will definatly go back.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Don't spend much time near Valpo, but went to Griffith for a safe. Was looking for a 23cu.ft., and walked out with a 50, for a steal of a price. Service was great, was even gonna slash price of delivery. My wife was with me and got a some helpful info on handguns for her(she's very inexperieced with any firearms), 45min. or better, knowing she wasn't going to be purchasing one, and we hadn't mentioned the safe yet. I could have just caught them on a good day, but they weren't short customers, and still took a lot of time with us. I know i would recommend they for a visit in Griffith.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I have had excellent service and prices at the Valpo store. Beat the price of many places by several hundred dollars on my Browning Citori bought last fall.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    The sales guys at Valpo Blythes always ask if I want to see the pink guns. That's pretty annoying. They treat the boyfriend well though, always very helpful for him. I prefer to spend my time and money at Griffith. They've always treated me with respect, even when I didn't know anything about guns and was just buying a gift card for my dad.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    may have to do because they work on sales comission, and they wan to sell the big ticket items to make the day, but informed buyers shop arround and get the best deal.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Yes? No? What do you guys think? I have used them several times since I really don't have anything close. Kinda high on ammo. No reloading supplies! Seems they like to use fear tactics as selling points. Price on long guns seemed O.K, Handguns Sorta inline. Used guns forget it way to high. Black guns and any other "Assult" type seemed way to high. :twocents:

what do you mean by fear tactics?

Top Bottom