• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I clicked the link and read thru some of the comments on Facebook. Its sad to see all of the negative comments about the cat being hurt. That's just not true. I use the same trap he shows in his video...caught my thumb in one on Sunday and no broken bones or bruises. Traps today are made to hold the animal, not hurt it. I wish more people were educated about trapping. Its not like the 30s and 40s anymore when it was all about money. Trappers who are still trapping today do it for the joy and the animals. If all of the animals are injured or dead, there's nothing left for us to trap...

And no one cares to think about the fact that that cat was outside in the rain and cold when they and their house cat was curled up on a warm couch. When they pour a bowl of kibble for their kitty that Bobcat is out trying to catch food with its face. And every time that Bobcat eats, something else dies...eventually. No one is mentioning how that Bobcat will catch its food and start eating it before its even dead. They only see the cute kitty with its paw in a trap....

Rant over. Thanks for stopping by

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had to release one from a leg hold trap a few years back. He was proper pissed off but we got a storage tote over him and he immediately went quiet. Pulled the trap off his leg and he pulled his leg back under the tote and just sat there. We eventually knocked the tote over and he ran off into the woods, never looked back.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Let your house cat or dog put its paw in one and let it sit for 12 hours and see it is unharmed. Unless it's a softcatch or has offset jaws, I'd bet it has broken toes. And if a cat has injured front paws, it will not be able to catch anything to eat and starve.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Let your house cat or dog put its paw in one and let it sit for 12 hours and see it is unharmed. Unless it's a softcatch or has offset jaws, I'd bet it has broken toes. And if a cat has injured front paws, it will not be able to catch anything to eat and starve.
    Any trap in indiana over 5-3/4" diameter is required by law to have offset jaws. The trap used to hold this Bobcat has 1/4" offset CAST jaws. Most states today have similar laws. And most trappers go even farther and will laminate the jaws so there is more contact surface, causing less damage. "Softcatch" traps allow the animal to move their foot within the trap, actually causing more damage than a standard foothold. And once the temp drops low enough those rubber softcatch jaws get pretty damn hard. I put my thumb in an MB550 (same trap as the one on this bobcat) over the weekend and didn't even have a bruise.

I'm curious...how many animals have you trapped? They don't fight for 12 hours. Its pretty common to find Fox and coyotes asleep when checking traps. Once they realize they're not going anywhere, they give up. They don't know its a trap and a trapper is on his way to end it. The animal just knows there's something on its foot and can't leave.

Again, people forget these are wild animals. Just because they resemble your house cat or dog...theyre not. They spend their life fighting for survival. Every day is a struggle. NONE of them are dying from old age curled up in front of a warm fireplace. Theyre either going to catch some kind of disease (often due to over population), they get too old or injured to feed themselves and they starve to death, or something else eats them. Thats the only options. I promise trappers are far more humane than mother nature. A trapped animals has a few bad hours and then its over. Mother nature may let it go on for weeks before ending their suffering.

Does anyone enjoy watching river otters in Indiana? How do you think they brought them back? Mother nature? Nope. Trappers brought them back, using guess what....TRAPS. Foothold traps.

Trappers care far more about these animals than PETA, and that's a fact.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I clicked the link and read thru some of the comments on Facebook. Its sad to see all of the negative comments about the cat being hurt. That's just not true. I use the same trap he shows in his video...caught my thumb in one on Sunday and no broken bones or bruises. Traps today are made to hold the animal, not hurt it. I wish more people were educated about trapping. Its not like the 30s and 40s anymore when it was all about money. Trappers who are still trapping today do it for the joy and the animals. If all of the animals are injured or dead, there's nothing left for us to trap...

And no one cares to think about the fact that that cat was outside in the rain and cold when they and their house cat was curled up on a warm couch. When they pour a bowl of kibble for their kitty that Bobcat is out trying to catch food with its face. And every time that Bobcat eats, something else dies...eventually. No one is mentioning how that Bobcat will catch its food and start eating it before its even dead. They only see the cute kitty with its paw in a trap....

Idiots like those are why the bobcat plague continues unabated and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We are soooooo soft these days.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Im pretty shocked, I would have bet against Bobcats being within 10 miles of Dyer. Does that mean that they are also in Cedar Lake, CP, Lowell, or might that be an isolated loner? Do they look at a house cat as a rival to fight to the death, to chase away, or as a meal?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The first Bobcat i ever saw was not too far south of Dyer on 231. Ran across road at dusk and wife and I looked at each other and said, 'WTF was that?" Then in unison we said, "BOBCAT!" That was close to 30 years ago.

Very cool.

Last edited:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Im pretty shocked, I would have bet against Bobcats being within 10 miles of Dyer. Does that mean that they are also in Cedar Lake, CP, Lowell, or might that be an isolated loner? Do they look at a house cat as a rival to fight to the death, to chase away, or as a meal?
    I am in town lowell and have seen a bobcat on a trail cam a few years back.

Theres been a few sightings out by 65

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm in Brownsburg and ran a bobcat out of my front bushes and 20 feet up into a tree in about 2.2. seconds. Freaked both me and the dog out.

Ran in to get a flashlight and by the time I got back, less than 15 seconds, it was gone.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    "Cat is king"...from one of the most well known predator bait makers. And yes, he was referring to house and feral cats. Canines and bobcats both love them. Cats are very cannibalistic. Pretty common to see snared lynx in Canada eaten by their own young.
    I can see this happening. I have lived in lowell since 2000. The population is booming, yet you would think the wildlife would be dieing off more. I have seen more wildlife come back around here. More people = more little dogs and cats. (dont take any of this 100% serious, im just typing out loud)

Top Bottom