• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I've often heard that "bobcats" or "cougars" live in Indiana, but usually it was considered an old wive's tale and nothing more. Maybe some big cat activity in southern Indiana in the hills, but not to the north. This last weekend my mind got changed:

bigkitty.jpg

This picture was shown to me by a friend of mine that I work for. He took the picture the day after opening morning from his "deer stand" northeast of Crawfordsville. The flash was from his cell phone camera. I thought that wasn't too bright considering that cat could have easily had him for breakfast if he wasn't fast enough to hit it with his bow had it decided to go after him.

I would have told him he was an idiot and to go pound sand except the next day the Journal Review in Crawfordsville reports that a bobcat was struck in Southwestern Montgomery County by a car while it fed on a dead deer. The cat was a female. The cat in the photo was taken about 12 miles across the county on the east side of Crawfordsville. I doubt they are the same cat.

Allegedly there have been no intentional releases of these type of animals in Indiana, which I believe. However, they suddenly seemed to have shown up. I'm not afraid of them, in fact I'm somewhat fascinated by them. While on duty, I have responded to calls of a woman "screaming" in the middle of the night. This has happened twice in the last couple of years in the Thorntown area. Nothing was ever found although there were rumors to big cat activity up that way as well.

Anyone else have any big cat experiences in Indiana? :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I thought that wasn't too bright considering that cat could have easily had him for breakfast if he wasn't fast enough to hit it with his bow had it decided to go after him.

I've never heard of a bobcat "going after" a human being. :dunno:

Allegedly there have been no intentional releases of these type of animals in Indiana, which I believe.

IIRC, bobcats are native to Indiana; they've been here all along.

However, they suddenly seemed to have shown up. I'm not afraid of them, in fact I'm somewhat fascinated by them. While on duty, I have responded to calls of a woman "screaming" in the middle of the night. This has happened twice in the last couple of years in the Thorntown area. Nothing was ever found although there were rumors to big cat activity up that way as well.

Do you know the difference between a bobcat and a cougar? Because it sounds like you're getting the two confused. Bobcats are hardly "big cats".

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The DNR have been repopulating Indiana for the last 10 years or so.

Funny that in texas they are shot on sight and left to rot.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I've never heard of a bobcat "going after" a human being. :dunno:

IIRC, bobcats are native to Indiana; they've been here all along.

Do you know the difference between a bobcat and a cougar? Because it sounds like you're getting the two confused. Bobcats are hardly "big cats".

Referring to the screams being that of the cat. I was under the impression that the cats were larger than I guess they areally are :n00b:

They are still neat little critters though. My understanding was they were nearly wiped out. The rumor this week around here has been that IDNR released some like they did with turkey several years ago. The DNR press release states they did not.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was under the impression that the cats were larger than I guess they areally are :n00b:

Bobcats, while beautiful and amazing creatures, are only a little larger than the average housecat (but with a really bad attitude). They can't rightly be described with the same "big cat" label used for lions, tigers, leopards, cougars, etc.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Bobcats, while beautiful and amazing creatures, are only a little larger than the average housecat (but with a really bad attitude). They can't rightly be described with the same "big cat" label used for lions, tigers, leopards, cougars, etc.

I see that now. didn't realize they were that small. I have a 23 pound Maine Coon that lives in my house so now I'm not nearly as impressed. Still neat though to see them making a come back...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So are these things as mangy and nasty to have around as Coyote?
    I wouldn't think so. They'll even take a lone coyote for a snack. Bobcats will prey on about anything smaller than them, but tend to go for rodents and birds. They certainly aren't above taking a chicken or a small house pet, though.

I'm pretty sure they are not legal to kill in Indiana. Anyone know for sure?

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I wouldn't think so. They'll even take a lone coyote for a snack. Bobcats will prey on about anything smaller than them, but tend to go for rodents and birds. They certainly aren't above taking a chicken or a small house pet, though.

No they are still protected in Indiana.

Sorry about being a bobcat "newb." I'm surprised they are here though. Spent many years of my childhood hunting and trapping in Montgomery County and never encountered any wild cats.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

Taken from the article you linked

The bobcat has been on endangered species list since 1969, and has full protection as a rare species in Indiana.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Taken from the article you linked

The bobcat has been on endangered species list since 1969, and has full protection as a rare species in Indiana.
    Aha! Guess I need to scroll all the way through next time! I was just looking for a citation when I linked it.

I've never gotten to see one outside of captivity. I assumed they would still be protected.

Top Bottom