• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Got to keep my IBA from the Army, have 2 full size AR1500 plates front and back that cover my whole torso.
    Heavy, but is better to sweat than bleed IMHO.

I'm planning to use my 'spare' flak jacket from the Corps with level iv plates for when I know i'll be doing more driving or 'last stand' protection of my castle, but buying a carrier and level III or III+ for foot patrols/ambush.

Last edited:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    We wore full vests in the Army, and they had trauma plates that went in them as well. Guess what, the plates were about that size. Just big enough to cover the vitals. The rest of the vest was only rated to stop fragments. It would only protect you from flying debris, and maybe some grenade fragments... if you weren't too close to the blast. The price you pay for that is weight, and worse... HEAT. You get hotter than hell wearing a full vest. I just ordered my first civilian body armor tonight.

Plate carrier only. Vest will NOT stop bullets, so I'm not gonna get heat stroke again wearing one. Now I have to save up for the plates to go in the carrier...

Probably nothing I can do to prevent myself from getting hurt, (other than to stay out of the fight altogether) but if I can prevent from getting dead... that's good enough.

Yeah I mean everything is a compromise at the end of the day.

I opted for vests with more coverage and pockets for the heavier plates. The vests are 3A which will stop pretty much every handgun round and buckshot outside of 5.7x28 I think. The level 4 plates are there if god forbid I'm taking rifle rounds, but honestly at that point I'm probably screwed anyway but /shrug.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yeah I mean everything is a compromise at the end of the day.

I opted for vests with more coverage and pockets for the heavier plates. The vests are 3A which will stop pretty much every handgun round and buckshot outside of 5.7x28 I think. The level 4 plates are there if god forbid I'm taking rifle rounds, but honestly at that point I'm probably screwed anyway but /shrug.
    I just picked up an IOTV vest. Should be 3A, had the soft armor inside and the groin protector and one for the rear. Was not familiar with it but didn't want to pass it up. The carrier I had was too small and plates were very heavy.
    Not sure what I have but hope I did ok.
    Any input? Gem or junk?

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I just picked up an IOTV vest. Should be 3A, had the soft armor inside and the groin protector and one for the rear. Was not familiar with it but didn't want to pass it up. The carrier I had was too small and plates were very heavy.
    Not sure what I have but hope I did ok.
    Any input? Gem or junk?

It's all relative. What did you pay for it and does it fit your "need?"

I paid $300 for my Level 3A vests but wish I would have got the ones with MOLLE system. I can sew on a MOLLE attachment so it's not a big deal but in hindsight it would be more useful. They cover the majority of the chest area. I mean plates are great because the cover the "vitals" but I also don't want to take a bullet period. There's some side coverage too which plates don't offer and you can easily die from getting shot in the side.

TheQuietMan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2020
    Morocco
    Got to keep my IBA from the Army, have 2 full size AR1500 plates front and back that cover my whole torso.
    Heavy, but is better to sweat than bleed IMHO.

As much as I hate to sweat, had I been able to keep my IBA, I'd have been ok with it. Mainly because it would have been free...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It's all relative. What did you pay for it and does it fit your "need?"

I paid $300 for my Level 3A vests but wish I would have got the ones with MOLLE system. I can sew on a MOLLE attachment so it's not a big deal but in hindsight it would be more useful. They cover the majority of the chest area. I mean plates are great because the cover the "vitals" but I also don't want to take a bullet period. There's some side coverage too which plates don't offer and you can easily die from getting shot in the side.
    $400, and there is MOLLE all over it.
    I will let you know if it meets my need as soon as I’m shot or shortly thereafter. Hopefully never.
    My understanding is it can carry hard plates if I wanted.
    It also seems like a lot more coverage than my previous plate carrier, and seems like it will be much easier to wear and be cooler. Just so much better designed. These are just my initial looks though.
    Thanks for the input.

Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Warsaw
    Nice! I’m running a grey ghost minimalist carrier with 2 ar500 level IV plates, 3 30 round magpul mags up front, a CAT and dark angel trauma kit. I agree with the fella that mentioned medical training as well. Certainly a good start towards bettering your chances of surviving a firefight but knowing how to keep your life ketchup inside you is of utmost importance. Have you taken any classes or had any kind of training? I’m looking into those things myself, I’ve no real world experience and have nothing to go on besides the research I’ve done.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    When I complete my set up it will also include side plates, I'm not able to afford the best of the best like some but I'm doing best I can, thankfully the riots haven't hit my area so I have time

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    1278c728688cab83711b47dccc4f443a.jpg

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Any suggestions for brands that are currently available (meaning not a 2-3 month wait)?

For $300 or less, are you looking at the heavier hard plates?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since we're talking about sales at AR500.com, they have their Phoenix armored backpacks on sale currently. For a pack that gets left in the vehicle with some get home items and doesn't stick out like a tactical sore thumb I can see one these being a good idea.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I ordered a set of III+ plates and a carrier back in early June. Lead time was supposed to be 4-6 weeks...by the time week 11 rolled around and after a few tense emails, I decided to order another set of plates (level III) and carrier from a different company. This outfit said they were in stock and would ship within 5 days. I figured once I received that set, I would cancel my order that I'd been waiting on for months. As luck would have it...both orders shipped the same day!

I still planned to return one set after they arrived, but once I talked it over with my wife, she said we should go ahead and keep both, just in case. So I put a III+ plate in front and III plate in back of each carrier and fitted one for her and one for me. Hope we never have to use them, but glad we have them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom