• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I ordered a set of III+ plates and a carrier back in early June. Lead time was supposed to be 4-6 weeks...by the time week 11 rolled around and after a few tense emails, I decided to order another set of plates (level III) and carrier from a different company. This outfit said they were in stock and would ship within 5 days. I figured once I received that set, I would cancel my order that I'd been waiting on for months. As luck would have it...both orders shipped the same day!

I still planned to return one set after they arrived, but once I talked it over with my wife, she said we should go ahead and keep both, just in case. So I put a III+ plate in front and III plate in back of each carrier and fitted one for her and one for me. Hope we never have to use them, but glad we have them.

Just an FYI. A lot of places won't accept returns on armor or ballistic panels since they can't ensure the plates haven't been compromised prior to you returning them.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Spartan Armor has a package deal.

Spartan™ Omega™ AR500 Body Armor and Spartan Shooters Cut Plate Carrier Entry Level Package
    (Choose a color: Tan)
    SAS-AR500PKG-SPC-CT-SPEC-KIT1$249.99 USD$249.99 USD
    8-10 weeks out per the web site. Kit has carrier, front, back and side plates. Level III
    https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/

use: this-is-sparta for 10% off and believe it or not...no tax.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm concerned with the trade off of armor vs weight especially since I'm disabled and using a cane.

I looked at UHMWPE plates but:
    1)5 year shelf life. Is this limitation listed because of SWAT officers in Phoenix, carrying their armor in the trunks of their squad cars?
    2)NIJ standard 0101.06 that guarantees the plate will stop a bullet that hits no closer than 2" to the edge. That has these plates seeming to have the coverage of the 9x9 plates in AR500's "freeman" mini plate carrier.
    3)How many hits can it take?

Does anyone here have any info about UHMWPE?

Thanks, INGO

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Spartan Armor has a package deal.

Spartan™ Omega™ AR500 Body Armor and Spartan Shooters Cut Plate Carrier Entry Level Package
    (Choose a color: Tan)
    SAS-AR500PKG-SPC-CT-SPEC-KIT1$249.99 USD$249.99 USD
    8-10 weeks out per the web site. Kit has carrier, front, back and side plates. Level III
    https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/

This does look like a good deal, dollar wise, but I am confused.

Per Spartan, they are offering the package with "base coat" only, no substitutions and no option to upgrade to "full coat" on the plates.

Yet on their own website they do not recommend the use of "base coat" only plates, that the purchaser should always select the full coat option.

So they are knowingly offering an inferior product as a "good deal"?

:dunno:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    So I will confess I ordered up this deal after much thought and consideration.

Maybe I will just get some of the anti-spall bags eventually.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Someone linked this to me a couple months ago. I watched it and immediatly bought level 4 multi curve ceramic plates from tri state armor. Use the code armor for 10 or 15 % off. It still works because I was just looking yesterday. Very comfortable and I feel reasonably certain a ricochet wont take my dome off.
    [video=youtube_share;An6aM8zL-U8]https://youtu.be/An6aM8zL-U8[/video]

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Someone linked this to me a couple months ago. I watched it and immediatly bought level 4 multi curve ceramic plates from tri state armor. Use the code armor for 10 or 15 % off. It still works because I was just looking yesterday. Very comfortable and I feel reasonably certain a ricochet wont take my dome off.
    [video=youtube_share;An6aM8zL-U8]https://youtu.be/An6aM8zL-U8[/video]

I got 2 lvl 4 polyethylene / ceramic from Botach a while back...only $100 each..took a while to get them, doubt you'd ever get them if you ordered now.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I'm just gonna relax and cross my fingers I get my order, I'm sure the company's are all working around the clock to fill orders, it's not as easy as ordering take out

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I got 2 lvl 4 polyethylene / ceramic from Botach a while back...only $100 each..took a while to get them, doubt you'd ever get them if you ordered now.
    At 2.52 in the video you see spall striking the watermelon using their plate but the rep total ignores that and off camera turns the watermelon to hide the damage. It was no where near as bad as the first plate but it still happened.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm appreciating the ideas in this thread. Also wondering if there are some good references that give an overview on components, selection, etc.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    So yesterday I made a I'll say big purchase I got a level IV plate from ar500 they are having a sale and I decided to jump on it, yes it's just the one plate but it's a start I'm very excited, of course I'll need another plate, trauma pads and a vest but in time, and I'm sure I'll get good or bad comments
    dont break my balls please,
    If you're dead set on trauma pads, I would put them dead last on the list of things to buy since you went with the stronger steel plate. I have two of the Testudo Gen 2 carriers. I ordered the trauma pads with my first carrier. After seeing how thick the carrier padding was VS the trauma pad, I didn't feel the need to order the trauma pads with the 2nd carrier. The pads offer ZERO ballistics protection.

As far as the spalling issue shown in the video in Post #51, personally I'm not sure where I stand on that yet. The plate is going to be in a carrier and that's going to catch some of spall should it happen along with the other stuff on the carrier. Speaking of other stuff on the carrier, should a round come at you, it's mostly likely not going to be dead on like in the video because it will also have to go through your mags or whatever else you have on your carrier. If you're really concerned about spall like I was at first, spend $50 on some used soft body armor and cut it to fit over the front of your plate. It's a total PITA to cut with Trauma Sheers or even a Leatherman Raptor, but it can be done.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I have the ceramic/poly plates in front and steel plates in back. I got the lvl 3 steel bogo from ar500 for $65

Trauma pads.... don’t need them with steel/ceramic. I have a lvl 3a vest behind the plates.

Ideally I don’t need any of this garbage and it collects dust.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I'm appreciating the ideas in this thread. Also wondering if there are some good references that give an overview on components, selection, etc.

Just personal opinion based off some of the "scuffles" I was in as a Police officer, don't strap a handgun to the carrier. It just may be I haven't really looked for one but I haven't seen any holsters meant for a carrier that have decent retention on them. I don't want to be rolling around on the ground with a gun that can easily be pulled off my chest. It's much easier to roll onto your side and smash their fingers should they get a hand on your sidearm using a holster with decent retention.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Just an update, Spartan delivered Saturday 9/5 for an order placed on 9/2.

So much for the 8-10 week lead time.

My only complaint is that I didn't find my stuff until this morning when I was leaving for work. I didn't even think of checking my front door for anything the last two days.

Top Bottom