• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Just seems like a terrible format to me. I used to watch, but all the changes drove me away. Consistency doesn't crown a champion any longer (Kenseth being the last one that brought about the change). Now it's run as hard as possible, tear up whatever equipment you need to so long as you just win one race. From a cost analysis perspective, seems like they're spending multi-millions for no reason other than to fulfill contractual obligations. If I were an owner, this would drive me insane. Unload, qualify, and then park it for the weekend.

I wont disagree, I wish it could be like the days where if its driven on the track then you can buy it at the dealer.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I would like to see the unlimited, really unlimited. Not Death race 2000 unlimited, but no restrictions on horsepower, restrictor plates, tire pressures, yada yada yada.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thats why they wouldnt be FWD V6 cars, they can be whatever they want them to be. then at least when a manufacturer wins something it actually means something.

They brand loyalty is gone. It is on the drivers to have a fan base now.

Oh for the days when chevy/ford/dodge/Plymoth/pontiac/Olds/and I believe Amarican motors at 1 point all fielded teams

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I loved those first few years of the truck series. No restrictor plates, just raw horsepower and driver skill. I wonder what the current Cup series would look like at Daytona if they raised them up 6" and narrowed the contact patch to 10" instead of 12"?

Seems like there's an identity crisis. If they want Saturday night short track racing, then by all means, set it up that way. Run heats, features, & mains. But don't sell me on a 500 mile endurance race, only to red flag it and give three chances on a green/white/checkered. Honestly, a Saturday night format may be what they need to bring people back. They already have the demo-derby qualifications thing figured out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Restricter plate racing sucks.

Yes and no. It's almost like an IROC race since the cars are all so closely matched, but watching the field running close to 200 mph 3 wide has gotta raise the pucker factor. I know I get nervous running 3 wide on 465 at 65 - 75 mph. You wouldn't be able got get a needle up my butt at 200! :):

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    The best restrictor plate race I ever watched on television was the Spring 2001 race from Talledega. The field ran the entire 500 miles WITH NO CAUTIONS! All pit stops were done under green flag conditions. No yellows for 'debris on the track'. There was no "Big One". Just 500 miles at full speed all the way. You could tell from the interviews after it was over just how tired and worn-out the drivers were. It was something that may never happen again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The best restrictor plate race I ever watched on television was the Spring 2001 race from Talledega. The field ran the entire 500 miles WITH NO CAUTIONS! All pit stops were done under green flag conditions. No yellows for 'debris on the track'. There was no "Big One". Just 500 miles at full speed all the way. You could tell from the interviews after it was over just how tired and worn-out the drivers were. It was something that may never happen again.

That was possible then because they had not yet "Dicked" up the Aero on the cars.

Yes, that was a barnstormer.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area

I remember that race. Every lap I was saying "This is going to be bad" I was worn out watching it. I still felt some of it watching Daytona last Sunday when they were 3 wide for a good long stretch.

It is true they have changed NASCAR. Nowadays it is more of a Show than a race. Various storylines and showing history and such. I'm still OK with it. I'm always blown away when they roll the bowling ball down in the corners at Bristol. Rusty Wallace once said "It's like flying a jet fighter in a gymnasium"

When I get in the mood for real racing I head to Bloomington Speedway on a Friday night. Sprint cars: Real power, real drivers. Bloomington Speedway | 5185 S. Fairfax Rd Bloomington Indiana | 812.824.7400 | Sprint Car Racing

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That took out a lot of fence.

Have to admit, I have not watched a race for a while and do not seem to notice it.

They lost me with the C.O.T. and have done little to put the racing back into the crew chiefs hands.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :rockwoot: Go SMOKE, go...

Smoke_zps2oc3mayw.jpg

Top Bottom