• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That has always been an issue with me. Going to the extreme with stuff.

The world is so PC right now. A race track is not a kid friendly environment. Not in the small local tracks so why try to make it kid friendly in the big circuits. Non PC racing. After all burning tons of fuel and

The monster energy girls take a step in the correct direction. Now if drivers could get away from being so clean cut. Seek out a bad boy sponsored car. Bad Brad, Kyle Busch, have a bit of the bad boy image but the sponsor always keeps them in check. Maybe we need a driver with a sex tape leak. Bad publicity is publicity. Add a bad boy sponsor or two. Make sure the car is black. Start with a driver then maybe a team. Let the clean cut drivers wear the white hats. Good verses bad just like the WWF. When a late caution for debris comes out for a white hat the black hat fans can always say they want the good guys to win. Same with the reverse.

Now indycar needs so much more. Open wheel has always been my favorite racing. Izod shirts and wrist watches are not good sponsor for the series. We have sell phones who buys watches today. We need euro drivers and we need American drivers. We need female drives F1 drivers and nascar drivers. We need to open up the cars to the way things were before it was a spec series race. Let lotus Honda Toyota chevy Ford Mercedes bring the very best 3 liter engines in the world. Have one that can run at speed and do the race in 3 stops for fuel. Fine. Have a car that can rock the lap speed but needs 20 fuel fills fine. If we don’t do something soon other than the “greatest spectacle in racing” the series is done. I do like the idea of two races in a weekend in some cities like they did this year. Let Hoosier tires, Goodyear tires compete with firestone. Bring back interest that different chassis tire and engine combo’s made the public wonder about practice days and qualifying days. There was a time I had a pager that spit out ever cars lap times all month of may ling.
    Well again I like where you are going but not 100%. First off I agree the world is too PC but I don't see that xhanging anytime soon.
    Now, I 100% disagree with your statement that racetracks aren't kid friendly. You said not local tracks, so why try to make it kid friendly at the big circuits. Well, I don't know what tracks you been hanging out at but I have NEVER been to a track that wasn't kid friendly. As a racer, we need motorsports to be kid friendly or we won't have the next generation to carry it on.

You are right though sponsors/owners/NASCAR all work to keep drivers in check. And again it goes back to marketability and selling an image. NASCAR, Indycar, NHRA all of them have the ability to deny sponsorship on a car. To a degree they should it's their game as sanctioning bodies to steer their own image. It has kept a number of businesses out of motorsports. There has to be a fine line somewhere of acceptable and unacceptable.
    But I would like to see more drivers with personality and their own style, working class type guys. Currently (since J Gordon really) the push has been to have the "young gun" and they have become cookie cutter.

But I do think there needs to be some changes to increase the excitement

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Lots of the drivers that are younger have testosterone levels that allow them to drive on that edge that older drivers cannot. It is the same with Danica. That razor edge between death or a major crash and a win. I took major risks more often as a young man than as a true adult. I had zero still as a driver. I jump with a bungee cord from the new river gorge bridge. Today nothing would let me do that stupid thing again. Then I would have done it over and over. That is why the newer crop get younger over time. Sliced bread joey was the youngest. He is older now and as of a few days ago is a father. Those fatherly issues will have him taking less chances in the future. Veterans win still maybe by taking less chances or simply the odds of a certain numbers of cars in the field and the number of races with the best machines.

I think jeff Gordon does a horrid job on the TV. DW is ok. He has a tempo that is hard to match in the booth.

Who does the best announcement and broadcast job? I think danaca could be a shoe in for that role in the future. Much nicer to look at than DW, Jeff ect. Since much of the season is now on cable TV maybe getting some entertainmwnt value (eye candy) in the booth would be a good idea.

That said aid they had a female announcer/ playcaller in the NFL this year and her voice drive me to near madness. Just did not get a good vibe from her. Danaca might be the same. Like the wife droning in the background about washing cars and mowing the grass instead of watching cars go in circles.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My first race at the then sun valley speedway now Anderson speedway was quite the shock to my father. We sat in the family friendly section (no beer sales in that stand) and a guy was stabbed in the back during the race. We went often and I the fact that it was an adult sport that dad let me attend was what made it cool. I slept though my first race at Watkins glen F1 as a child. Dad could not see why anyone could sleep with the cars but I was very young. Kids want to be adults not kids. The crowd and the stupid things I saw driver crews and the fans do at the race was what became racing experience to me. I did not need cartoon sponsor on the car. I did not need a playground in the third turn. I wanted to go every Saturday night because I wanted a taste to what it was like to be an adult. Anderson speedway was not a kid friendly place in the late 1970’s. Ido not Think much has changed to this day.

(Used as a parable ) Take cuban cigars. I have a much nicer Dominica from plants smuggled out of Cuba which smokes so much nicer than the Cubans smuggled into my collection via Canada. Those who come over for a pour and a cigar want the Cubans. The opus x or a Cuban and they choose the Cubans. The opus x smokes much better and is rated far higher by the snobs in the mags. Basic human personality makes one want what they can’t have or is forbidden. Same as the PG13 to r rated movies. Given a choice the basic 13 year old wants to see the rated r movie. Use the fact that racing is an adult sport and the younger fans will be wanting to attend.

Some things like a good single barrel bourbon do not need to be watered down to be impressive.

Did we become fans because of the kid friendly entertainment value of racing when we were introduced. No. We wanted to go because it was what the adults did. Same with firing off those first rounds of 22 with grandpa in back of the barn. Mom said don’t touch that gun in the closet. Grandpa said hey want to fire a few rounds at a can. Instantly hooked.

I am not saying make it a rated x or even r type of endeavor not even close. Just make it an adult sport and then those younger will want to attend. Add a playground stupid stuff like digger the rat in turn 4 you add to much water to the bourbon and you have something that tastes like water with a weird amount of charred wood in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All of the changes we see in major motor sports is big money sponsor/media driven as a few have stated. I saw this coming in the early 80's when I went in the garage to build the cars instead of watching them from the snake pit at the speedway. It was a life changing deal for me. It gave me a view of things I did not have as a fan. Going back to the roots would most likely not work in this PC world. The governing bodys are an example of how things are going to be presented. The rules packages reflect this.
    In all of that standing as close as you can to the straight and experiencing a flock of flying bricks roar buy at 200+ is just to awesome to pass up. Regardless of the badge on the engine listening to 800+ HP at full song on the banking at Texas is just hard to beat. The newer exhaust systems have toned down the visceral attack of a set of headers roaring under the car. But the sweet song of HP still comes through. Those systems were developed at Howerton fabricating on Gasoline alley. They were ran out at Speedway engine development right next door. The 180 degree design makes amazing power. They are unique and so well thought out. Give men enough time and the resources and they will ring out every ounce of available power from any package put in front of them. Sometimes as with the current Indy car package the limits can easily be found. Those turds are not going any faster in the present design.

NASCAR is a full on race car now. It is the end result of the development of safety and performance. I am so glad they put the "Car of Tomorrow" in the dumpster where it belongs. Some of that turd was designed right here in Speedway as well. The new package is so much more pleasing to the eye and it will actually go fast with out running sideways down the front stretch.

I hope this season draws some real attention.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Going back to the roots would most likely not work in this PC world. The governing bodys are an example of how things are going to be presented.

NASCAR is a full on race car now. It is the end result of the development of safety and performance. I am so glad they put the "Car of Tomorrow" in the dumpster where it belongs. Some of that turd was designed right here in Speedway as well. The new package is so much more pleasing to the eye and it will actually go fast with out running sideways down the front stretch.

I hope this season draws some real attention.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you CM. The old days are done and gone. Sure, I wish we could bring some aspects back but it won't happen. In large part racing is a rich mans sport. Money will always win influence and sponsors paying the bills will always have a say in what is acceptable or not and along with the sanctioning body they will steer the ship.

Jmarriott - I agree that kids want to be like adults and want a taste of the pie (so to speak) but that isn't what builds a fan base. At least not long term. I grew up at Anderson speedway, Muncie speedway ( back when they had a high bank oval) and others. Sure I have seen plenty of stupid adults at the tack but that never appealed to me. As a kid, it was going into the pits with dad after the racing was done and looking at the cars, listening to the stories, getting asked wanna sit inside and getting to flip switches and push buttons starting those engines up. Back then, no bounce houses for the kids but it was cool. Now, believe it or not the bounce houses and kid friendly stuff is for the racers kids as much as it is for a casual fan. I'm glad it's there. Kids have short attention spans and it helps break up the day and gives them more to do. That's why I almost always offer any little kid that comes by, a chance to sit in the car. The smile on their face is priceless and they are hooked. They will keep coming back.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Free NASCAR poster schedule. (Couple bucks shipping.)

Gotta pick a favorite driver. I picked Larson. :rockwoot:

https://products.onmc.com/2018sched...ast__pt151845014&campaign_id=8ahffh99xxgxqb0l

1d39583b-calendar.png

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    [FONT=&amp]Patrick will drive for Premium Motorsports in next month's Daytona 500, her final NASCAR race. She also plans to race in the Indianapolis 500 in May. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A reasonable candidate at this stage would be Ed Carpenter Racing, which always fields competitive cars at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The team is in partly owned by Tony George, the head of the family that owns the speedway, and ensuring Patrick is in the race helps with the success of the Indy 500.[/FONT]

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    [FONT=&amp]Patrick will drive for Premium Motorsports in next month's Daytona 500, her final NASCAR race. She also plans to race in the Indianapolis 500 in May. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]A reasonable candidate at this stage would be Ed Carpenter Racing, which always fields competitive cars at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The team is in partly owned by Tony George, the head of the family that owns the speedway, and ensuring Patrick is in the race helps with the success of the Indy 500.[/FONT]

Wonder what level the RCR support will be? Info I heard on talk radio suggest RCR chassis, full RCR aero support, full RCR technical support and of course RCR engines.

I've always been of the opinion that Danica has never lived up to the hype that OTHER folks have put on her. Further, there's a whole heck of a lot of venom spit her direction on racing forums - so, I personally, would love to see her win both the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500 just to sit back and watch all the heads explode.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Driving an Indy car and driving a nascar are not at all alike. So different in how you drive them. She would have done better sticking to Indy cars. The money and fame were in nascar. You have like Tony Stewart JP Montoya Kurt Busch and Robbie Gordon cross over. Robbie Gordon could drive anything with wheels and was just to much of an ass to drive for anyone but himself. Kurt Busch did well in a race going from nascar to Indy. JP did ok in nascar but mainly on the road courses turning right and left. Tony Stewart did well in both. He also raced everything growing up from go carts to stock cars. I guess go back and include AJ Foyt and that Italian guy who’s kids/grandkids still race in Indy car a bit.

Danica did about average for a open wheel to nascar cross over. Maybe it would be easier to go from nascar to Indy.

As far as spitting some venom at Danica I would not mind.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Obviously there are differences in how one drives an Indy car and a stock car (Cup car). There are plenty of great drivers out there but it takes so much more to make a car run up front consistently. I'm not going to say that driving one of these (Cup) cars is easy, because it does take talent. However, if the crew pretty much hits on the right set up, just about any reasonably talented throttle jockey can wheel one of these cars.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The world has tipped up on it's side.

Yes it has... Just because a woman has beauty and is willing to put herself on display in this manner, I don't see the sexism issue being relevent. Besides, if they can get a sponsor and enough $ backing they can give driving a shot if they'd like. Morons are ruining the world and sucking anything enjoyable out of our lives

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes it has... Just because a woman has beauty and is willing to put herself on display in this manner, I don't see the sexism issue being relevent. Besides, if they can get a sponsor and enough $ backing they can give driving a shot if they'd like. Morons are ruining the world and sucking anything enjoyable out of our lives

Step back and take a good long (long as you can stand it anyway) at the groups who are pushing this crap. The answers are right there.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    You still still have the ME girls if I am not mistaken.

O66B2SA.jpg

Attachments

• NASCAR-Monster-Energy-Girls-have-Upset-Some-People-1300x800.jpg
      NASCAR-Monster-Energy-Girls-have-Upset-Some-People-1300x800.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 2

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When F1 was still coming to INDY the smoke show scale of the fans was so much higher than Indycar or nascar.
    Those female fans of F1 were smoking hot. No grid girls needed. Nothing against our nascar and Indycar female fans but made I like the look of the euro ladies.

Top Bottom