• ...and so much more!
  • Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    Today is Vietnam Veterans Day.
    I just wanted to let you "boomers" who are Vietnam vets know THANK YOU for your loyal service to our country. Vietnam vets have a special place in my heart and are an inspiration to me. And my family members who served in Vietnam had a huge impact on me joining the Army. You paved the way for modern members of the military and hopefully because of your sacrifices both abroad and at home other veterans will never again be treated that way.
    I Salute you all! :patriot:

1949 here. Thank you for that! I wasn't actually, "In Country", but tried to take care of all the brave fighters who came back from there when I was a Navy Corpsman stationed at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda Maryland, 1970 - 72. Was in the plastic surgery ward for a while - amazing what they could do for those who came back even in the 70's. Was also on two carriers in the Med. USS Shangri-La (CV-38), and FD Roosevelt, (CV-42).

On a lighter note, (not going to talk about Zippos). How about some Py-O-My Puddin' Cake for dessert? Have to put up my Lionel Train Set around the Xmas tree, while wearing my Davy Crocket Coonskin cap.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did like my leisure suit... nice brown corduroy, silky shirt, boots that zipped on the inside, just over the ankle...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Born in 1957, graduated in 75. I wore a burgandy leisure suit in my senior picture.

Hey, polyester was the sh** back then.

2 years out of Key West High a bunch of us used to go to "adult" skate night on Wednesday nights. This was in '79 so Saturday Night Fever was on most everybody's brain. One of our runnin' buddies was big into the whole "JT" look; gold chain, shirt open to his belly, platforms and of course tight polyester pants. We called him Disco Johnny as his name was John and it fit "the look". We were at the local skating rink one Wednesday evening and Disco was doing his usual exaggerated moves on the floor (not entirely fair, he WAS a great skater). He like to do jumps, spins all of the crazy skater moves but for this one particular set he wanted to go for the big finish and he timed it so as the song finished he'd drop to the floor and slide to a magnificent finish perfectly timed to stop when the music stopped.

Remember the polyester pants?

It appears that the friction created when you slide across the floor on your knees is enough to melt the polyester and adhere it in a most painful way to the skin on your knees and the inside of your calves. We off course being his friends busted out in loud laughs as he ran for the nearest cup of iced beverage to attempt to soothe the burning sensation.

He ended up going to the ER for 2nd degree burns.

We still thought it was funny.:laugh:

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Navember 72, just before I left for the Navy...
    84145402_10217039364631060_199591180399280128_o.jpg

Top Bottom