Both of my daughters have requested pistols for protection!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Both of my daughters have requested that I help them get a LTCH, and help them buy a pistol for protection. After giving it some thought, I have decided that a revolver would be the most practical...and the safest in terms of loading and unloading. As well as clearing and operating under stress. I'm thinking 38 special +P or maybe a Judge. The older girl shoots my 1911 very well. I don't think recoil will be an issue for either of them.

Am I missing anything? Let me hear some thoughts.

Yes, you have missed something, you have missed the fact that these are grown adult children who may have other beliefs about the type of gun that is suitable for them.

Let them pick their own gun after visiting a gun store (or two) and handling different guns. Let them make up their minds about what gun type is suitable for them to carry. You said they were getting a LTCH so given the types of clothes worn by women, exactly how will they carry something like a large Taurus Judge on their person? You seem to be concerned about easy of operation, but not ease of carry??? If you expect them to carry it in their purse will you also remind them that purse snatchings occur more frequently than assaults so they should not carry in their purse? How else would they carry something like a Judge if not in their purse? And as for a revolver, that again will be harder to conceal than a flat sided auto-pistol given that many younger ladies wear tighter clothes and the lumpy revolver will print far more noticeably than a flat auto. But let's say they do purse carry, will you also buy them those special "holster purses" that allow for the gun to be accessed quickly or will they be hunting around in the bottom of their purses like they do when they are looking for the lipstick or cellphone because there is so much crap in there they can't find the gun???

I'm not saying get them pocket pistols, I'm simply saying they need to be informed of ALL the upsides and downsides of each type of gun AS WELL AS the various carry methods for each. Then they need to decide.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, I have and so has my wife

Have any of you fired a Judge? or Public Defender?
    They would be good for close range defense....but I don't know about the recoil.

My wife has a Judge and she loves it. The recoil is not a problem for her and she is recoil sensitive. The Judge's weight takes care of the recoil which also makes it a a burden to carry, so there is the trade off.

I hope all goes well in your choice.

Best regards,

Terry

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I second the G26 or something simpler. Simplicity is a user's best friend, particularly for those who aren't bitten by the gun bug. Though revolvers are simple, their weight, capacity, and profile can make them less desirable than a semi-auto.

Hard to beat a Glock for simplicity. Point and shoot. No grip safety, no manual safety, no hammer. Just shoot. And the slim frame models mean even short-fingered individuals can get a good/comfortable grip.

Of course, if the Glock doesn't feel right in their hands. But I think keeping it simple is one of the higher priorities if they aren't regular shooters with a real interest in firearms.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    But I think keeping it simple is one of the higher priorities if they aren't regular shooters with a real interest in firearms.

If they aren't regular shooters with an interest in firearms, then they have no business carrying a firearm in the first place. Carrying a handgun (in my opinion) imposes a responsibility to be proficient with said firearm, in order to NOT endanger the general public, should that firearm have to be employed in public for self defense.

:twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If they aren't regular shooters with an interest in firearms, then they have no business carrying a firearm in the first place. Carrying a handgun (in my opinion) imposes a responsibility to be proficient with said firearm, in order to NOT endanger the general public, should that firearm have to be employed in public for self defense.

:twocents:

So only those who really like firearms should be allowed to have and use them? :n00b:

It's a farking tool. For some it's more than that. But it doesn't make a difference one way or the other. It's not *my* place to tell someone she doesn't like firearms enough to be able to carry them.

And just how often does one have to go to the range to be "regular" shooter?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The key word is proficient. Try to get a job that involves using a specific tool if you're not proficient with that tool.

I didn't say "have and use"... I said carry. I know more than a few folks who own firearms, that would concern me greatly to think of them carrying a handgun on a regular basis. Folks most certainly have the right to carry, but I also believe that they have an implied obligation to do so safely... for themselves and others.

Just my two cents worth

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    To echo what others have said. The young ladies need to hold the guns and feel what is comfortable for them. My guess is LTCH most likely means concealed carry? If so how and where they would prefer to carry will play a big part in the selection. Not going to be able to carry a Judge in a clutch purse! hammerless 38 would work well to carry in a purse, but hammerless means double action/ heaver trigger pull. I happen like semi auto better than a revolver. Not sure why but I hit what I aim at with my cheap Hi Point .45 better than I do with my friends S&W .38 special. I don't know why!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Chances are that they will not be shooting in "flat range" conditions. They will be shooting at arms length, or less, and under the most frightening conditions imaginable. A simple, goof proof gun is mandatory under those conditions. Especially if the user does not practice drawing, and firing, from the carry mode, which is likely a purse.
    I would arm them with a .357/38, short barreled, five or six shot revolver that has a hammer shroud or is hammerless. Anyone who has looked into their wife/girlfriend/significant other's purse knows why. The less things on the gun to snag during the draw, the better.
    Just my :twocents:
    Mike

I agree that they will not be shooting in flat, square range conditions. If you cannot shoot a firearm well in those conditions then you most certainly won't be able to shoot it well when the chips are down. There are no goof proof guns. You are welcome to arm your family with whatever you want. I will not be arming anyone I care about with a small hammerless revolver because they are expert weapons, and these type of folks are not usually firearms experts. But to each his or her own.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I agree that they will not be shooting in flat, square range conditions. If you cannot shoot a firearm well in those conditions then you most certainly won't be able to shoot it well when the chips are down. There are no goof proof guns. You are welcome to arm your family with whatever you want. I will not be arming anyone I care about with a small hammerless revolver because they are expert weapons, and these type of folks are not usually firearms experts. But to each his or her own.
    True.
    As stated earlier, practice with whatever gun they choose is a must.
    How proficient someone becomes with their chosen firearm hinges a great deal on their perceived "intimidation factor" of the gun in question.
    I've taught rather small ladies to shoot .45's and .357's. It just takes a little longer to acclimate some people to the recoil and muzzle blast of a larger caliber gun.
    If the OP has the time, patience and money to provide such training for his girls I would say let them carry Howda Pistols, if they can handle them. :D
    Mike

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have two daughters and the oldest one just received her carry permit, she hasn't purchased a handgun yet. My advice is to get them some training starting with basic gun handling and marksmanship.
    If your daughters are like mine , this training should be administered by someone other that you.
    Let them try every hand gun you own and ask them how it feels and if they like to shoot it. The answers to those questions will steer you in the right direction. My daughters HATE shooting my snubbie and it is not an air weight. They don't like glocks or XD's because the grips are too large for them to manipulate the controls easily.
    The oldest is now leaning toward a Springfield EMP or a Taurus 709 Slim.
    I would never have suggested either of those weapons to her at the beginning of this journey.

To sum up my recent experiences ,Get them into some defensive pistol training that includes marksmanship.
    Let them shoot as many different types and sizes of guns as possible
    Let them choose what feels right to them, as long as its 9mm or greater, because if they enjoy shooting it they will practice and become proficient.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Have any of you fired a Judge? or Public Defender?
    They would be good for close range defense....but I don't know about the recoil.
    No, they are not. Marketing gimmic. I have had great luck with Ruger GP100's and G19's/17's for the women. But they each picked what they liked best and some of them do very well with a G21 (.45) so in the end they can shoot all guns in the house from .380 to .45, carbine and shotgun.

The Judge is just a new spin on a 40+ year old idea.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Get them into some defensive pistol training that includes marksmanship.
    Let them shoot as many different types and sizes of guns as possible
    Let them choose what feels right to them, as long as its 9mm or greater, because if they enjoy shooting it they will practice and become proficient.

:yesway: This is your answer!:yesway:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    To echo what others have said. The young ladies need to hold the guns and feel what is comfortable for them. My guess is LTCH most likely means concealed carry? If so how and where they would prefer to carry will play a big part in the selection. Not going to be able to carry a Judge in a clutch purse! hammerless 38 would work well to carry in a purse, but hammerless means double action/ heaver trigger pull. I happen like semi auto better than a revolver. Not sure why but I hit what I aim at with my cheap Hi Point .45 better than I do with my friends S&W .38 special. I don't know why!
    I have an idea, it is because, you own the hi point, and you handle it
    all the time, your friends, S&W, you probably, only handle it at the range...

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yup.
    A firearm is like a spouse.
    If you spend a lot of time with them, you realize how comfortable you are with them. :)
    Mike

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Except that it was the case the first time I fired the Hi Point, and I had fired the S&W Several times before that. My buddy who owns the S&W had the exact same experience and went out and bought a Hi Point .45. I have talked to others that shoot better with autos than revolvers.:dunno:

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Except that it was the case the first time I fired the Hi Point, and I had fired the S&W Several times before that. My buddy who owns the S&W had the exact same experience and went out and bought a Hi Point .45. I have talked to others that shoot better with autos than revolvers.:dunno:

Does he want to sell the S&W, then? ;)

Top Bottom