Both of my daughters have requested pistols for protection!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    its hard to beat a .38 special. but there are just so many great guns to choose from. makes for one hard decision after another

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I should probably stay out of this, but . . .

Lightweight snubbies in .38 are huge mistake for a new shooter. They're easy to carry, but that's about it. They're fine for experienced shooters who know what they're getting and are willing to accept the discomfort of shooting them to practice. Most new shooters will fire a couple of rounds from a lightweight .38 and in most cases will be done for good with guns. It's unlikely they will achieve any significant level of proficiency with it.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have two daughters and the oldest one just received her carry permit, she hasn't purchased a handgun yet. My advice is to get them some training starting with basic gun handling and marksmanship.
    If your daughters are like mine , this training should be administered by someone other that you.
    Let them try every hand gun you own and ask them how it feels and if they like to shoot it. The answers to those questions will steer you in the right direction. weMy daughters HATE shooting my snubbie and it is not an air ight. They don't like glocks or XD's because the grips are too large for them to manipulate the controls easily.
    The oldest is now leaning toward a Springfield EMP or a Taurus 709 Slim.
    I would never have suggested either of those weapons to her at the beginning of this journey.

To sum up my recent experiences ,Get them into some defensive pistol training that includes marksmanship.
    Let them shoot as many different types and sizes of guns as possible
    Let them choose what feels right to them, as long as its 9mm or greater, because if they enjoy shooting it they will practice and become proficient.

I should probably stay out of this, but . . .

Lightweight snubbies in .38 are huge mistake for a new shooter. They're easy to carry, but that's about it. They're fine for experienced shooters who know what they're getting and are willing to accept the discomfort of shooting them to practice. Most new shooters will fire a couple of rounds from a lightweight .38 and in most cases will be done for good with guns. It's unlikely they will achieve any significant level of proficiency with it.

I would like to know what they chose as well
    It would maybe give us something else to look at

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    We should be a session here shortly for ladies to wanting to purchase a handgun. Discuss the options and let them shoot a variety of handguns. Northwest of Lafayette. Provide them with enough info and experience to make their own choice.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Interesting. Just went through this with my oldest. She has been shooting since she could hold a firearm. I have "several" pistols and she can shhot any of them but not well enough. I trend toward larger framed and higher caliber myself.
    Everyone assumes that a 38 snubby is the best 1st pistol for a women. Why? Long trigger pull, heavy trigger pull, low capacity, difficult to reload worse under stress, short barrel less accurate and harsher recoil. Where is any of this of benefit to a NOOB lady shooter?
    My oldest already knew she wanted an autoloader but needed something less than one of my 10mm or 45's. So I took her shopping/rental range testing. She picked a Gen4 Glock 19. She shoots well with it, combat accurate first outing. Sis is a petite thing, the chemo for the Lukemia at age 7 kinda slowed her growth, 5 foot 85#'s at 17. No she can't and dosen't carry yet. She will be ready when the LTCH comes back when she turns 18!
    Point is don't choose for her, work with her help her choose what works best for her.
    It is our job as a Dad to keep our kids safe, that includes teaching them to protect themselves when we aren't around!:draw:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Everyone assumes that a 38 snubby is the best 1st pistol for a women. Why? Long trigger pull, heavy trigger pull, low capacity, difficult to reload worse under stress, short barrel less accurate and harsher recoil. Where is any of this of benefit to a NOOB lady shooter?

Point is don't choose for her, work with her help her choose what works best for her.
    It is our job as a Dad to keep our kids safe, that includes teaching them to protect themselves when we aren't around!:draw:

I agree heartily with all three points above.

Terry

Top Bottom