• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Did you have any trouble changing out the rear stock? Mine are stock, but Colt went crazy when they staked the Castle Nut. Bill T.

No need to mess with the castle nut to change the stock ;)
    Pull the lever down and slide the stock body off of the receiver extension.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    LWRCPaulHowe3-1.jpg

My LWRC CSAT Edition came with a Daniel Defense Rear Swivel. I like it about the best of any I've seen. Bill T.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    What???????

Pull the lever down and slide the stock off.

Ok,,, well, I just pulled on the pin and it came off, pretty easy,, I will chek out the lever, but when I was pulling on the lever, it was very stiff

IDCC, I saw the LMT makes one for $13.99, I will order one from them

EDIT: WOW, I was not pulling on the lever hard enough, it only took an extra 1/8" and the stock came off, thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased an LE6940 last year, but was really disappointed with the finish on the lower. It was a little bubbled in one spot about an inch in diameter. Didn't seem right for a $1500 rifle

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I purchased an LE6940 last year, but was really disappointed with the finish on the lower. It was a little bubbled in one spot about an inch in diameter. Didn't seem right for a $1500 rifle

can see why you'd be upset. It seems common though that Colt rifles often do not have the best fit and finish. this irritates some buyers, though many dont care as long as the rifle works. The defenders of Colt argue that Colt is in the business of making guns that work, even when ridiculously hard. Perhaps this is just their justification, but to a certain degree it makes sense. Did you contact Colt about it? Did your FFL and the dealer offer to send it back?

Mine had a bit of rust on the birdcage when I got it. i admit I wasn't thrilled, but I still took her home. Even though she is just a tacticool weekend plinker, i am glad i kept her. She eats everything i feed her and is far more accurate than I am.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

ColtAR-15s006.jpg

I'm not tickled with the finish on my Colt 6920 either. If you look where the front pin is located, you can see some of the finish is starting to flake off the upper. (Click to enlarge it to full size). I took this photo as the gun came from the box. This is inexcusable on a $1,300.00 rifle. Especially when I compare it to the near perfect finish on my $780.00 Bushmaster. I get sick of hearing guys defend this kind of crap from Colt. "They make guns that work!" Big deal, Chevrolet makes "cars that run". Would you accept a new Corvette with flaking paint? Bill T.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It makes me sad to see a fine American company putting out something like that. I mean, come on. I don't want to buy a rifle that arrives looking like I threw it down the driveway. Take pride in your work. Is that too much to ask?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm not tickled with the finish on my Colt 6920 either. If you look where the front pin is located, you can see some of the finish is starting to flake off the upper. (Click to enlarge it to full size). I took this photo as the gun came from the box. .

did you send it back? i see the new car analogy a lot, which is valid. but if you order a car and it has a scratch in the paint, do you buy it anyways and then complain on the internet? or would you make the dealer fix the issue?

seems a lot of the guys on ARF.com who complain about Colt never actually deal with the issue. instead they just whine about their disappointment. Like i said before, my gun wasn't perfect when I opened it at the dealer. I didn't send it back; but i didn't complain about it either.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    did you send it back? i see the new car analogy a lot, which is valid. but if you order a car and it has a scratch in the paint, do you buy it anyways and then complain on the internet? or would you make the dealer fix the issue?

seems a lot of the guys on ARF.com who complain about Colt never actually deal with the issue. instead they just whine about their disappointment. Like i said before, my gun wasn't perfect when I opened it at the dealer. I didn't send it back; but i didn't complain about it either.

No I didn't send it back. And for what it's worth I didn't notice it until I brought it home. But you are missing the whole point. I, or anyone else for that matter, shouldn't have to send back a $1,300.00 "Top Tier" rifle because of a cosmetic issue that never should have left the factory in the first place! Who's running the Q.C. Dept. over there, Mr. Magoo? As I said, I own many lesser priced AR-15 rifles from Bushmaster and Rock River Arms who's fit and finish is exemplary. There is no excuse for this kind of crap from a company that is supposed to be producing one of the best weapons of it's kind.

Don't try to turn this thing around and make me, or anyone else with this problem, the bad guy here. If Colt gave a damn about their civilian customers in the first place, (which they haven't for years), this kind of crap wouldn't happen.

If I'm guilty of anything here, it's listening to all of this nonsense that flows all over places like ARFCOM and coltKool-aid.net about how wonderful these rifles are. I deserve a double kick in the ass because I bought 2 of them. A 6920 and a 6940. The guns run fine. Big deal, so do all 5 of my Bushmasters, and have for years. As I said in a previous post, the fit and finish on every one of those guns is perfect. So if a manufacturer who's quality is supposedly "slipping", can produce weapons with a quality, durable finish, why can't Colt?

Personally, I would rather live with the blemish rather than send a rifle back to Colt, who's customer service is certifiably crap, and has been for years, than be forced to wait weeks or perhaps months for the gun, only to run the risk of them screwing something else up worse in the process. (About the only stories that are more plentiful than the slobber fest over Colt, is how bad their C.S. is). Simply put, I have zero confidence in them. It just says something when a supposedly "Top Tier" company can't match the finish of a company that produces the exact same rifle for almost half as much. Bill T.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    No I didn't send it back. And for what it's worth I didn't notice it until I brought it home. But you are missing the whole point. I, or anyone else for that matter, shouldn't have to send back a $1,300.00 "Top Tier" rifle because of a cosmetic issue that never should have left the factory in the first place! Who's running the Q.C. Dept. over there, Mr. Magoo? As I said, I own many lesser priced AR-15 rifles from Bushmaster and Rock River Arms who's fit and finish is exemplary. There is no excuse for this kind of crap from a company that is supposed to be producing one of the best weapons of it's kind.

Don't try to turn this thing around and make me, or anyone else with this problem, the bad guy here. If Colt gave a damn about their civilian customers in the first place, (which they haven't for years), this kind of crap wouldn't happen.

If I'm guilty of anything here, it's listening to all of this nonsense that flows all over places like ARFCOM and coltKool-aid.net about how wonderful these rifles are. I deserve a double kick in the ass because I bought 2 of them. A 6920 and a 6940. The guns run fine. Big deal, so do all 5 of my Bushmasters, and have for years. As I said in a previous post, the fit and finish on every one of those guns is perfect. So if a manufacturer who's quality is supposedly "slipping", can produce weapons with a quality, durable finish, why can't Colt?

Personally, I would rather live with the blemish rather than send a rifle back to Colt, who's customer service is certifiably crap, and has been for years, than be forced to wait weeks or perhaps months for the gun, only to run the risk of them screwing something else up worse in the process. (About the only stories that are more plentiful than the slobber fest over Colt, is how bad their C.S. is). Simply put, I have zero confidence in them. It just says something when a supposedly "Top Tier" company can't match the finish of a company that produces the exact same rifle for almost half as much. Bill T.

on the contrary i didnt miss the point. here's what i posted: "can see why you'd be upset. It seems common though that Colt rifles often do not have the best fit and finish." I admit that the word "though"might imply that I think it's ok to have a rough fit/finish, i will say now for the sake of clarity I do not think this the case.

my experience with Colt's CS has been very positive. I found them to be polite and prompt. When I had to return one of my 1911s, FedEx had it back to me in 7 days. Perhaps the Colt Defense division is a different animal; I can't say.

Allow me to make this clear: I am not disagreeing with you that Colt should be able to have a better fit and finish. your opinion (and others i have read elsewhere) raises a few points.

1) you don't believe the tiers have any relevance
    2) you claim to know firsthand that Colt treats it's customers like crap and has "for years".

my question is why would you even buy a Colt if a rifle that is half the price is equal or better in terms of function, fit and finish? Why would you even waste money on a company you "have zero confidence in"? Why would you buy a second one if the first one had issues?

I bought a Keltec a long time ago. The gun was such a POS I haven't bought another one and I never will.

on second thought, i don't really care. you've been *plonked*

Last edited:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    1) you don't believe the tiers have any relevance.

I didn't say that, you did. I think the whole "Top Tier" issue is simply overplayed, mostly by people who seem to regurgitate whatever their favorite "trainer" puts forth, or what they read in the latest issue of their favorite black rifle gun rag. The fact of the matter is that AR-15's are one of the few generic rifles out there. All major parts interchange regardless of brand. A lot of these people put forth that Colt uses, "the best parts" that are all Mil-Spec, which I don't doubt. At least the Mil-Spec part of it. What I do doubt is that plays out to be any kind of important issue with most all civilian AR-15 rifle shooters.

I purchased my Colts based on the constant never ending claims coming from most every black rifle site and magazine known to man, about how great they are. I also wanted to add a couple to my collection to have a more increased depth and representation in it. There is nothing wrong with wanting a good, solid, well built AR-15 rifle. While I have always been critical of Colt in the past, I was willing to, "put my money where my mouth was" so to speak, and find out for myself. I was disappointed in the quality of the finish on one of the 2 rifles I received. That should not have happened.

Also, regardless of what you happen to think of Colt as a company, much like Harley Davidson, their products seem to hold their value better than most comparable products for whatever reason. That made their purchase a somewhat of a safe bet. At least from a financial standpoint.

2) you claim to know firsthand that Colt treats it's customers like crap and has "for years".

Look, it is no deep dark secret that Colt's customer service is lacking, and has been for years, if not decades. Colt Industries couldn't make money on a bet. They survive based solely on their government contracts from Colt Defense. That is where their bread is buttered. Colt's current civilian models read like a catalog of what customers don't want.

Colt Industries discontinued good, high quality civilian models like the Python, Diamondback, Woodsman, and Detective Special, in favor of crap like the "All American", and the "Colt 2000", which were nothing more than dogs with fleas they couldn't give away on a bet. They then poured millions into the supposed development of a "Smart Gun" that no one wanted. They have been descending into this engineering and financial abyss since the 70's, staying afloat on whatever scraps Colt Defense would throw to them. Even their Colt Crucible Metals Division was turned into a financial disaster. Through all of this foolishness their AR-15 rifles produced by the parent company, Colt Defense were known, or at least said to be, top of the line.

Why would you buy a second one if the first one had issues?

Both were purchased at the same exact time, from the same dealer.

I bought a Keltec a long time ago. The gun was such a POS I haven't bought another one and I never will.

That purchase has no relevance what so ever in this conversation. I once bought a Chinese floor jack from Harbor Freight that leaked fluid.

Look, you said, and I agree with the fact, Colt should produce rifles with a better fit and finish, period. The fact of the matter is they don't for whatever reason. Perhaps they don't care, or perhaps my gun was made on a "Monday at 7:30 AM", I really don't know. I do know that if you are going to spend 50% to 70%+ more on a Colt over most other D.I. AR-15's, it's quality should reflect that. It doesn't. I don't purchase guns, or much of anything else for that matter, based on how good or bad their customer service is or supposedly isn't. I buy based on the alleged quality of the overall product. Colt AR-15 rifles are claimed to be a cut above the others in quality. It would not appear so in this case, would it?

I'll be the first to admit this bit of flaking finish isn't a very big thing. I touched it up with some Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black", and overlapped it a bit to hold the peeling and flaking in check. I'm at or around the 2,000 round count with both rifles, give or take, and thus far it has held up. But it is something a buyer of their weapons should not have to deal with. Anyone can make a mistake, but with that said if you are charging your customer considerably more than your competitors are for what is basically the same product, it's quality should reflect that. Here it doesn't. I'm not the first guy in this thread to have this issue, and I suspect I won't be the last. That is unfortunate. Bill T.

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't realize the finish on my 6940 was blemished until I got it home. Upon further inspection, after the initial buzz of having a new gun in my hands wore off, I realized also that the fit between the upper and lower was sub-par. I didn't measure the play, but it was noticable enough that you could hold the lower, shake it a little, and the upper would "flop" around on the lower. I was severly disappointed, as this was my first Colt rifle and I had high expectations. I never sent the rifle back or contacted Colt; ended up selling it a few months later (when they were hard to get your hands on) for what I paid (I had the purchaser inspect it in person before buying so that he could see everything, not sure if he ever sent it back to Colt).

With that said, I would never again buy a new Colt AR sight unseen. My other ARs, Rock River and S&W, fit up nice and tight and have excellent finish. I wouldn't trade my Rock River for anything. The next AR that I buy (unless a spectacular deal comes around on another) will be a Rock River; I will be a customer of theirs for life.

Top Bottom