• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    1. I know! I feel like I have bought above my "station" in life with the FNS, and so the CZ, FNS, Dan Wessons, and other brands of a "tier up" from my S/W, Ruger, Walther, and Beretta tier brands that I usually indulge in get looked at but the price is so much higher than the brands that I mention I buy.
    2. The seller told me that it wasn't in the same class (but above) as the Ruger P89SD that I bought that I love, so that is exciting to me.
    3. I can't wait to see it it shoots better than my Glock 26 that I enjoy, but even if so, the Glock would not be in danger of being sold (possible CC), just the Ruger P89SD that is strictly a range toy.
    4. I feel such confidence in it as a used gun b/c of the seller (ex LEO) and his knowledge about everything guns (I've bought from him before, also).
    5. My research still indicates this was a stellar purchase since everything here and Armslist is higher by a healthy margin (even if prices listed are just "asking").
    6. Anytime I can get top-tier (to me) gun in the $300s: I'm there!
    7. I have been looking at Glock 42 and 43, but I won't pay the same price for them as I paid for my 26, so evidently I'm going to do w/o. :laugh: (which is why I hadn't bought a Glock earlier): healthy prices, and I was happy enough with my "lesser" tier guns.

I wouldn't say that the Ruger is a tier below the FNS, there is a refinement to a well broken in da/sa as opposed to the soulless polymer strikers. I wouldn't give a prestige edge in either direction, I think you'll find the fns to have a less refined less mechanical feel that the metal frame pistols give you, but polymer makes some gains in the felt recoil due to the polymer absorbing a bit. The FNS 9L is competing against the Glock 34, MP 9L (or whatever sw is calling the comp slide mp nowdays), etc.. In the 300's it is a solid buy, but they have a tendency to sit for sale for a while if you ask a fair price (around 400-450). A lot of people considering them end up in a glock 34 because of the cheaper magazines and massive aftermarket. It should be fun for you to take to the range and compare your full sized da/sa against a full size striker fired pistol. I have found that I prefer a striker for a carry pistol, but am just as happy on the range with my sa/da cz75 as I am with my glocks. The longer I spend with both types of actions the more I respect their intended roles, strengths, and shortcomings. I wouldn't be too hasty to get rid of the ruger or the fn.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ggreen, good solid input and I have read what you said 3 times in the past couple of days now.
    Especially the last sentence: "I wouldn't be too hasty to get rid of the ruger or the fn."
    I have reached the point that I have sold off most of the "extras" in most calibers (except 22LR) and can keep what I have if I want.
    I wasn't looking for another "range toy" when I bought the FNS, but for the price, I had to, just like I would buy a CZ or Sig priced below $400 to see if it could beat out my Ruger P89.
    I was going to buy a Springfield XD or XDS? a couple of weeks ago b/c the price was "WOW" ($250ish, don't remember exactly) but it was gone in 15 minutes
    If this FN is an entirly different feel from the Ruger, giving me pleasure, I can keep both since the price of them together is the price of just 1 gun for most people, and probably much less than the big boys that run here. :laugh:

Still haven't been to the range: too much to do before surgery in 22 days.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You should buy Frank's friend's fn, which sits at a very reasonable price, as a companion to your longslide version

1. There are about 4-5 different ones for sale between here and Armslist.
    2. I did own two S/W 64-7 and 64-8 b/c I bought one for $400 and then later I saw the same thing for $300 so I did what I had to do. :laugh:
    3. I sold one to Townmarshall for $350 (would have sold it to him for $400, but he had treated me so right on some other deals we had done together), and the other I was going to ask $400, but it had to have the extractor rod replaced, and maybe the cylinder, so I sold it short to a member here who fixed it for $10.
    I just didn't have the time to mess with it and took the easy way out: I was afraid it could be the worst and the buyer wasn't afraid to take a chance.
    4. He gave me some ammo, which helped with the loss that I took selling it to him: we were both happy with it.

5. All that to say, when the day comes that I own two of the same gun, the price on the 2nd one was beyond stellar. :laugh:
    6. I don't buy a gun just to resell, but just buy so that if (when) I do resell, it's not going to hurt (unless I really want it like my Ruger GP100 .22LR SS 10 shot revolver).
    7. I have almost bought another Shield 9mm b/c of the price (even thought I have one) b/c the package has so many accessories with it that I don't have, but I regain control of myself. :rofl:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    5. All that to say, when the day comes that I own two of the same gun, the price on the 2nd one was beyond stellar. :laugh:

I always buy 2 and sometimes 3 of my carry guns. I definitely look for good prices as well, but once I vet a gun as a carry gun, a clone quickly finds its way into my possession and sometimes a 3rd.
    One is none, two is one, and well three is even better... I just factor it into the cost of what I carry.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I always buy 2 and sometimes 3 of my carry guns. I definitely look for good prices as well, but once I vet a gun as a carry gun, a clone quickly finds its way into my possession and sometimes a 3rd.
    One is none, two is one, and well three is even better... I just factor it into the cost of what I carry.

1. That sounds like a "matured" state and not one that would come in just 1 yr. experience like myself. :laugh:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

I resemble that remark.

00p0p_5e1GTYCrDyJ_1200x900.jpg

doddg, I let you look at one of these (Glock 43) when we met up (6mos. ago).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I resemble that remark.

doddg, I let you look at one of these (Glock 43) when we met up (6mos. ago).

1. Wish I could remember. :ugh:
    2. With all the rentals at Point Blank that I did in big 9, small 9, and .380s, (after doing all their .45s, it starts to run together in my mind.
    3. If you remember any of my comments: pm me, perhaps it will stimulate a memory! :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had hopes for the range today, but..................
    Everyone got to bed around 3pm since they didn't get here till 1:30 am.
    The day was spent picking up a sectional for my son 35 minutes from here, had to make 2 trips.
    Afterwards we went to Best Buy to get a printer, range extender and a monitor, which took the rest of the day to install and the range extender still not working properly.
    Steaks are ready to eat however.
    Range time is not in my future until next week.
    I did go through the safe and put in 2 more shelves and organized shelving distance and putting the guns in relative distinct places with small calibers on top (22LR: about 3 shelves, and then going to .38 and .357, and on the bottom the 9mms.

I am really hankering to get some time with the FNS and compare it to the Ruger P89SD and Shield 9mm and whatever the other 9mm is that I can't even remember.
    I want to get some time with my 22LRs, there are some I have neglected lately b/c of trying out the different 9mms.
    I am going to give the Bersa Thunder about 1 more chance to play well with others or I'm going to sell it.
    I like it b/c it's all metal, but it is REALLY finicky about ammo, and I'm tired of it!!!!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I had hopes for the range today, but..................
    Everyone got to bed around 3pm since they didn't get here till 1:30 am.
    The day was spent picking up a sectional for my son 35 minutes from here, had to make 2 trips.
    Afterwards we went to Best Buy to get a printer, range extender and a monitor, which took the rest of the day to install and the range extender still not working properly.
    Steaks are ready to eat however.
    Range time is not in my future until next week.
    I did go through the safe and put in 2 more shelves and organized shelving distance and putting the guns in relative distinct places with small calibers on top (22LR: about 3 shelves, and then going to .38 and .357, and on the bottom the 9mms.

I am really hankering to get some time with the FNS and compare it to the Ruger P89SD and Shield 9mm and whatever the other 9mm is that I can't even remember.
    I want to get some time with my 22LRs, there are some I have neglected lately b/c of trying out the different 9mms.
    I am going to give the Bersa Thunder about 1 more chance to play well with others or I'm going to sell it.
    I like it b/c it's all metal, but it is REALLY finicky about ammo, and I'm tired of it!!!!

It's gotta be your Glock, right ??? :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's gotta be your Glock, right ??? :):

1. That's sooo funny! I can't believe I didn't remember my favorite/first/only Glock! :ugh:
    2. And, my wife moved my Glock mag loader from on top of my dresser and I looked for it for 10 minutes till I broke down and asked her where she put it: sure enough, it was in a drawer I had looked in twice!
    3. By the way, I saw in another thread where you had said, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!" and saying your Dad was an Elder in the Church.
    I had 2 Dads, and the one that mostly raised me (about every other year of my life) was also an Elder in the Church.
    Didn't you just hate after supper the Bible reading, when you were chomping at the bit to go out and play "army!" :laugh:
    4. Well, I'm still reading my Bible (have to go teach a class on Acts 14 and 15 this am), and at the range I still "play army!" :lmfao:

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Will be curious how you like it. I've had the FNS9 since ~6 months after release, daily carry with no issues. Probably about four thousand rounds through it now.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    1. That's sooo funny! I can't believe I didn't remember my favorite/first/only Glock! :ugh:
    2. And, my wife moved my Glock mag loader from on top of my dresser and I looked for it for 10 minutes till I broke down and asked her where she put it: sure enough, it was in a drawer I had looked in twice!
    3. By the way, I saw in another thread where you had said, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!" and saying your Dad was an Elder in the Church.
    I had 2 Dads, and the one that mostly raised me (about every other year of my life) was also an Elder in the Church.
    Didn't you just hate after supper the Bible reading, when you were chomping at the bit to go out and play "army!" :laugh:
    4. Well, I'm still reading my Bible (have to go teach a class on Acts 14 and 15 this am), and at the range I still "play army!" :lmfao:

Fun stories ...... thanks for telling them ! :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Will be curious how you like it. I've had the FNS9 since ~6 months after release, daily carry with no issues. Probably about four thousand rounds through it now.

1. That is sooo encouraging, since I read somewhere that the FNS has some wear issues in the long haul.
    2. I'll never run 80 boxes of ammo through it, but when it comes to selling, you want to hear your type of experiences.
    3. I don't think I've ever bought a gun and not been able to take it to the range for over 2 weeks. While waiting for family to drive in from TN late Friday night, I could have ran to the range, but since the wife was busy baking and doing last minute things (and I was supposed to be doing more work in the garage but was weary of "garage work," I just went to the safe and finally organized it properly, putting in a couple of 1/2 shelves I never got around to doing. I at least got to fondle every single gun I had and get excited about them all over again since I have not only this "new" FNS Longslide to initiate, but I have some 22LR guns that I have not spent much time with at all (Smith 22A-1, RIA 1911 XT-22, for examples).
    4. Doesn't seem appropriate to leave 6 visiting family members (4 from TN) and sneak off to the range. :laugh: It would give my wife too much "ammunition" toward promoting the idea of my addiction being out of control.
    5. I have behaved myself for the past couple of weeks in working around the house (wife said I played at the range too much during Spring Break at the gun range) getting things done.
    6. I hope to sneak off today when family leaves, but it could be too late in the day, but I am going to make up for it this week after work: maybe go nearly everyday! But, I don't think the marriage could stand up to such an indulgence. :dunno:

Fun stories ...... thanks for telling them ! :)

7. I am full of stories, but I have tried to cut back since I have come under some criticism of my stories on a gun forum. :ugh:
    8. I ran into the same thing on a car forum (S2KCA) that I had so much fun on for 7yrs., till this forum took over my "entertainment."
    9. I love the personalization behind the cars or guns.
    10. I have caught snippets of info about churchmouse and a medical issue with his beloved and have wanted to ask him about it since I care more that situation than picking his brain about gun nuances, but I don't want to be intrusive or impolitic.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report! Finally!
    Now that getting ready for family and friends visiting is over I finally made it to the range after 2 weeks when I fantastic buy from a member here on this FNS Longslide became available for a wonderful price:
    FNS2.jpg

Since I have been criticized for talking about people I have bought/sold from and the price, those have been omitted to protect the innocent (although I never did so w/o permission, and it still disappoints me that a couple of people said they wouldn't buy from me b/c of my posts). :dunno: :ugh:

Now to range time.

The FNS shot low, and I had to learn to aim high.
    I put about 120 rounds through it, but didn't compare it to my other 9mms.
    I'll have to go back and look to see if it beats the Glock 26, Shield 9, or the Ruger P89SD.
    I was using 17 round mags.

At 20':
    4 in 2" circle
    11 in 4" circle
    17 in 6" circle

At 30':
    7 in 2" circle
    9 in 4" circle
    15 in 6" circle
    17 in 8" circle

At 40' torso:
    5 in white circle (heart, I suppose)
    11 in light blue (outside of white circle)
    1 in dark blue (outside of light blue)

translation for above:
    1 in 2"
    5 in 4"
    8 in 6"
    (others were further out)

40' head shots:
    11 in white
    6 in blue (outside white)

translation:
    it's a head, figure it out! :laugh:

I'm too tired to go back and research my other range times with the other 9mms to see if the FNS beat the Glock 26, Shield 9 or Ruger P89SD.
    But, I think it did. :coffee:
    I'll probably take them to the range and try them all out at once to see: more fun that way, and I ordered more 9mm since I'm on my last case of Perfecta 9mm to be sure I can continue with my search for the perfect range 9mm "on a budget."
    I had them with me, but I just couldn't stop shooting the FNS, and I had to do an ammo check on the Bersa that has been finicky the last 2 times at the range. (another thread)
    I did eye a CZ that someone posted for sale new for $419 (plus shipping, tax, FFL), which I won't pay $500, and used prices are as high even w/o the added ancillary charges.

Product Name CZ P-09 – 9mm SKU 91620 Firearm Type Handgun
    MSRP $530.00 Chambering 9mm Luger
    Magazine Capacity 19
    Magazine Type Double Stack
    Frame Black
    Polymer Grips Stippled
    Trigger Mech Omega DA/SA
    Sights Fixed Three-Dot Barrel Cold Hammer Forged
    Barrel Length 4.54 in
    Weight 31 oz
    Overall Length 8.1 in
    Height 5.79 in
    Width 1.46 in
    Safety Interchangeable Ambidextrous,
    Decocker/Manual Safety,
    Safety Stop on Hammer,
    Firing Pin Block Safety

The P09 was recommended to me weeks ago, and I do listen to tips from my experienced gun "brethren."

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    FN is a nice pistol. I really like the FNX Tactical 45 and the 5.7 - what a screamer!

I don't have any experience with the CZ P-09 BUT....If you are going to have just one CZ (for a limited time only), I would start with the iconic CZ-75. All metal, great ergonomics (for most people), generally very accurate and reliable. If you buy a used one at a fair price that has been well care for, should be a fairly easy resale.

Top Bottom