• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice range report! How did you think it shot recoil wise?

It was fine since I only had .38 sp with 158 & 130 grain with me (thought the 158 gr. was the .357 box).
    Even that left indentions on left side of my middle finger behind the trigger guard. :dunno:
    I knew it would be sheer work to run .357 rounds b/c of my experience with the SW 642 Airlite/Airweight.
    I had to really fight to keep from shooting left & low.

I was looking forward to CM's humorous comments about my man-card being revoked using .38s in a a.357! :lmfao:
    Very next range trip after heart valve replacement next Tuesday, I'll man up & take .357. :laugh6:
    Sometimes it would shoot just as good D/A as S/A, thanks to the trigger job you had done! :rockwoot:
    I am the X factor, since I haven't been shooting "larger" calibers except for function checks for my CCs.

By the way, the VZ G10 grips worked well & I was thrilled that the Stealth Gear AIWB holster was "tuckable" since that is what I use.
    The small footprint & lightness is convenient.
    I will sell the Ruger LCR 22 magnum I had for that purpose.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it back with some Herter's .357 magnum, 158 grain SJHP.
    Where do I go to turn in my man-card, or can it simply be mailed! :ugh:
    I couldn't believe the recoil.
    I had to put the gun down & shake & message my hand after every shot b/c it literally went numb! :dunno:
    I had read how bad it was & the seller warned me also, but it was much worse than what I expected.
    It REALLY HURT!!! :wow:
    I actually ended up wrapping a washcloth folder over to put over the grip after a few rounds.
    Thought I was going to pass out. :laugh:

My literary style is prone to hyperbole, but I'm not kidding, not even a little bit! :crying:
    After 5 rds of DA & another of SA in .357, I gladly went back to some .38 special.

It was the worst shooting I've done with any gun, ever.
    I wasn't going to post the range pic, but being able to be laughed at by your peers is a precious gift: enjoy!

all at 21'
    top two with .357 with DA & SA: not 1 rd on the target!
    middle & bottom right with .38 sp. none on target either.
    Middle on rest, bottom right free hand.
    Never done this poor before, embarrassing!
    Range 11.15.2021 1st w.357 magnum.jpg

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    OK here we go again. You bought what I would consider a stellar offering in .357 and you ran 38 special in it. Turn in your man card.
    You guys kill me. If you want to run 38 buy a.........wait for it.......38.

If you buy a hand cannon use it as such.

Man cards are accepted for return at any man card drop box.

:):
    So, are you saying that you drive your vehicle 100 mph everywhere that you go, instead of driving it 55 mph on occasion?

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    Picked this up Sat. b/c it was a good value.
    Never had a Kimber in anything and have read much about this revolver and became available in the Classifieds just low enough to entice me ($625).

It is "identical" in size to my light Ruger LCRx .38 sp, and the Kimber has that additional round in it, so that's a plus for a small CC (but twice the cost).
    But, the SW 10-6 .38 sp. house gun revolver could also be replaced with the Kimber.
    No economic advantage in selling both and keeping the Kimber.
    The Ruger is really light, and the SW shoots so accurate at the range, but none of these are range toys anyway.

20' using 3 brands of .38 sp. ammo.
    CXGNgN9.jpg

30' shooting against the Ruger LCRx & SW 10-6 with the middle target the Kimber using .357 ammo.
    aN8u4uo.jpg

20' with different ammo used for Head & Torso.
    noBRNJq.jpg

20190903-202552.jpg
    20190903-202651.jpg

20190903-202719.jpg
    Nice grouping for a first time shooting. No need to be embarrassed. How's the muzzle flip?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice grouping for a first time shooting. No need to be embarrassed. How's the muzzle flip?
    It was doable enough that I didn't order a grip big enough for my pinky,
    but,
    I did do that later just for control, not so much b/c of the recoil.
    The SW 360 PD (11.4 oz) I shot today though, I must get a bigger grip b/c it was brutal.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was reading :coffee: an article online that was hilarious b/c of the "tenderizing comment."

NRA
    I Carry Spotlight: Six Great 357 Magnum Revolvers
    posted on July 3, 2020

Smith & Wesson Model 360PD:
    "the 360PD launched in the mid-2000s as a scandium-frame, titanium cylinder super-lightweight revolver for concealed carry.
    Tipping the scales at a ridiculously light 11.4 ounces, this J-Frame can be somewhat of a handful when firing .357 Magnum. Affectionately nicknamed the Snubbie from Hell, the 360PD is really best fed a diet of .38 Special.
    Not because the magnum rounds will adversely affect operation, but because your hand can only take so much tenderizing.

I just ordered a set of ERGO DELTA GRIP® after shooting the SW 360 PD today.
    I had ordered these grips back in Sept. 2018 for a SW 642 Airweight that I'd bought b/c I thought I needed a SW & SS & a lightweight pocket pistol.
    I'm hoping it will help ameliorate the pains in my hand today at the range when using the .357 magnum rounds that God intended for the 360 PD, instead of the milder .38 special I used yesterday.

It will be interesting to see if it at least helps my shot placement.
    I'd hope a little less pain placement in my hand as well. :laugh:
    Distracting in their looks, but as a tool, functional, if I remember correctly.

Ergo Delta grip.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Continuing the saga about grips for the "hard-to-hold" 11.4 oz (or 11.7) SW 360 PD .357 magnum.
    I bought some Ergo Delta Grips for it.
    I did this for an Airweight SW 642 .38 special years ago since a 2-finger grip didn't work for me.

Can't wait to go to the range sometime this week to see whether I wasted my money & should have gotten something with an even longer grip.

VZ G10 grips that came with 360 PD that original owner upgraded.
    grip bought wGun.jpg

I can barely get my ring finger on grip.
    my grip on original grip wNo pinky purchase.jpg

Ergo Delta grips installed.
    Ergo Delta grip on gun.jpg

Holding Delta grip showing room for ring finger.
    Ergo Delta grip me holding showing pinky purchase.jpg

Pinky finger with somewhere to go, haha!
    Ergo Delta grip with me holding it.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Put .357 magnum & .38 special rounds through the SW 360 PD .357 today with the Ergo Delta rubber grips.
    I remember taking a pic of the targets using both calibers, but can't find it so you are spared, haha!

The Delta grips helped recoil, but not by much & the rounds were erratic with only 1-2 of 5 rounds hitting decently with the .357 magnum loads.
    The .38 special loads shot fine & rounds were good on target, 4-5 inch spread near "X."

I shot the DAO Kimber 6s today as well & it was a dream to shoot with the .357 magnum rounds after shooting the SW 360 PD.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Comparing the Kimber 6s .357 magnum to the Ruger LCR 38 special. :coffee:
    Short version: surprisingly nearly identical in size. :)
    Today I put the smaller stock grips back on both guns w/o pinky purchase since I'm in a minimalist mood. :lmfao:
    It is convenient to have the light LCR 38 special for a light pocket carry when desired. :dunno:

Kimber 6s vs Ruger LCR 38 special (Ruger LCR 38 special in parenthesis after Kimber specs)
    world’s lightest production 6-shot
    Weight: 23 oz
    (Ruger, Weight 13.5 oz.)
    Grip (GripHogue® Tamer™ Monogrip) (Ruger, also Hogue® Tamer Monogrip®)
    Height: 4.46" (Ruger, Height 4.50")
    Length: 6.62 (Ruger, Overall Length 6.50")
    Width: 1.39" (Ruger, 1.28")
    Capacity: 6 (Ruger Capacity 5)
    Action: DAO (Ruger, DAO)
    Trigger Pull Weight: 9.5-10.5 lbs (Ruger, Trigger Pull Weight 9.5 lbs
    FRAME
    Material: Stainless steel
    (Ruger Cylinder Finish PVD)
    Finish: Brushed stainless
    BARREL
    Length: 2"
    (Ruger 1.87")
    Material: Stainless steel
    Finish: Brushed stainless
    (Ruger, Finish Matte Black)
    SIGHTS
    white 3 dot

Radius: 4.1" (Ruger, Sight Radius, 3.1")
    MSRP: $985.00 (Ruger: Suggested Retail: $719)

view from bottom.jpg view from front bottom.jpg view from left upside down really.jpg view from left upside down.jpg Kimber in holster.jpg Ruger in holster.jpg
    1649195783358.png
    Stock grip compared to a larger one I bought to purchase the pinky.
    1649196062027.png

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I see where this is going and I agree. The ruger is better for half the cost.
    Neither are for sale, but in today's market, I assume the Kimber would probably bring an easy
    $800 & the LCR $400, so you would be correct in your "half the cost" observation. :scratch:
    As far as "better" you'll have to take that up with the Kimber revolver lovers! :lmfao:
    I enjoy having both, but if inflation eats all my fixed income,
    I'll have to part with the more expensive Kimber some day. :dunno:
    I bought the Kimber before Covid & paid less than $800, but paid more than $400 for the LCR 38 last December.
    In the past year selling closer to replacement value has been more the standard since it cost more to replace a gun now. :spend:

From truegunvalue.com :coffee:
    What is a KIMBER K6S .357 magnum STAINLESS PISTOL worth?
    The new value of a KIMBER K6S STAINLESS pistol has risen $318.39 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,313.21.
    The used value of a KIMBER K6S STAINLESS pistol has risen $15.22 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $937.31.

What Is a RUGER .38 special LCR PISTOL worth?
    A RUGER LCR pistol is currently worth an average
    price of $589.59 new
    and
    $477.96 used .
    The 12 month average price is $588.30 new and $450.24 used.
    The demand of used RUGER LCR pistol's has risen 19 units over the past 12 months.

Top Bottom