• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Here is a link to what I think is the correct grip for your Blackhawk on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-83000-...0FSWD0U2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

One reviewer specifically states that it fits his .357/9mm Blackhawk Convertible, which is what you have.
    You could order one and try it out. Nice thing about Amazon, returns are usually very easy.

Personally, I think they are ugly as hell and ruin the lines of the gun. But the gun is kinda worthless if it is no fun to shoot.

Capture.jpg

I had a brief interest in getting a "cowboy" gun for fun, but having owned a couple and handled a few, I find that the grips are just awful, with the exception of the Ruger Bisley grip. I had a standard Vaquero with the "plow handle" grip and a birds head grip Vaquero. The birds head grip was no fun to shoot, and I didn't even put a round through the standard Vaquero, as it was bumping my middle finger from just handling it. Very awkward feeling.

I might pick up a Bisley Vaquero one of these days for fun, as I do like the feel of that grip style, but no way I'd put one of those ugly rubber grip monstrosities on a classic single action revolver. I'd sooner just get rid of it, which is exactly what I did with my 2 Vaqueros.

:twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here is a link to what I think is the correct grip for your Blackhawk on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-83000-...0FSWD0U2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

One reviewer specifically states that it fits his .357/9mm Blackhawk Convertible, which is what you have.
    You could order one and try it out. Nice thing about Amazon, returns are usually very easy.

Personally, I think they are ugly as hell and ruin the lines of the gun. But the gun is kinda worthless if it is no fun to shoot.

Capture.jpg

I had a brief interest in getting a "cowboy" gun for fun, but having owned a couple and handled a few, I find that the grips are just awful, with the exception of the Ruger Bisley grip. I had a standard Vaquero with the "plow handle" grip and a birds head grip Vaquero. The birds head grip was no fun to shoot, and I didn't even put a round through the standard Vaquero, as it was bumping my middle finger from just handling it. Very awkward feeling.

I might pick up a Bisley Vaquero one of these days for fun, as I do like the feel of that grip style, but no way I'd put one of those ugly rubber grip monstrosities on a classic single action revolver. I'd sooner just get rid of it, which is exactly what I did with my 2 Vaqueros.

That's interesting because at one time I considered buying a Vaquero in .357. My hesitation and zero desire to shoot CAS may have saved me some money this time!:)

I never thought that I might not like actually shooting it. The only SA like this that I ever owned was a .22 Ruger Super Six and being a .22 it didn't bother me to shoot it.

And like you, I'd never put one of those grips on it. I'd try a glove first.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's interesting because at one time I considered buying a Vaquero in .357. My hesitation and zero desire to shoot CAS may have saved me some money this time!:)

I never thought that I might not like actually shooting it. The only SA like this that I ever owned was a .22 Ruger Super Six and being a .22 it didn't bother me to shoot it.

And like you, I'd never put one of those grips on it. I'd try a glove first.

Oh, I still really want the Bisley Vaquero 357. Maybe this summer. My wallet is still crying from Christmas. :):

Capture.jpg

All it needs is some rosewood or walnut grips to replace those silly dime novel white grip panels, and I'd be happy. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wallet is still crying from Christmas. :):

i don't think you are alone. I have listed a pistol for sale and though over 400+ people have looked at it, I have only received one offer. I remember that I did this last year and I ended up closing the listing for a few weeks and then in Feb/Mar re-opened it and it sold. Might have to do the same. A lot of people get tapped out during the holidays.:)

I do like the look of those Bisley's better than the standard Vaquero.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. That's the 83000 that Mgderf said:
    "This is what I have on mine, also a .357.They are a perfect fit for my large hands."

www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/single-action/new-blackhawk/rubber

"Please note, these are for a 1/2" wide frame. There is a different model for the 7/16" wide frame.
    Make sure of your frame before ordering."

1. Since he said that his was the 83000 and was for a 1/2" it must not me for mine b/c mine measured 7/16."
    2. When I have time I'll call Ruger about, I guess.
    3. In their search bar I put 84000 and got another grip, but there was no comment about the width, and it might have been the correct one?
    4. Appreciate your help!
    5. Going to bed!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. That's the 83000 that Mgderf said:
    "This is what I have on mine, also a .357.They are a perfect fit for my large hands."

www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/single-action/new-blackhawk/rubber

"Please note, these are for a 1/2" wide frame. There is a different model for the 7/16" wide frame.
    Make sure of your frame before ordering."

1. Since he said that his was the 83000 and was for a 1/2" it must not me for mine b/c mine measured 7/16."
    2. When I have time I'll call Ruger about, I guess.
    3. In their search bar I put 84000 and got another grip, but there was no comment about the width, and it might have been the correct one?
    4. Appreciate your help!
    5. Going to bed!

I don't see a rubber grip listed currently on the Hogue site for the 7/16th inch backstrap... only other materials. I do see the rubber grips listed for the 1/2 inch backstrap models.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/single-action

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't see a rubber grip listed currently on the Hogue site for the 7/16th inch backstrap... only other materials. I do see the rubber grips listed for the 1/2 inch backstrap models.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/single-action

1. Exactly. Welcome to my world. :dunno:
    2. Since Mgderf warned me to make sure before ordering, since his was for the 1/2" backstrap (and mine has the smaller 7/16" backstrap.
    3. But, puzzling to me: I spent hours last evening researching, and I saw no reference to the the 83000 being just for the 1/2".
    4. Oh well, I'll just wait to see what develops. Like I said, when I have time I'll call Ruger, but that won't be this week probably.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The 83000 is for the 1/2" backstrap as you are aware. According to their website, they do not offer an overmolded grip set for your 7/16". You could call them, but the website is probably accurate.

They only offer a variety of hard grips.

When I tried a search for "rubber" grips for your model, nothing came up.:(

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Exactly. Welcome to my world. :dunno:
    2. Since Mgderf warned me to make sure before ordering, since his was for the 1/2" backstrap (and mine has the smaller 7/16" backstrap.
    3. But, puzzling to me: I spent hours last evening researching, and I saw no reference to the the 83000 being just for the 1/2".
    4. Oh well, I'll just wait to see what develops. Like I said, when I have time I'll call Ruger, but that won't be this week probably.

Yep, been a while since I had my Super Blackhawk, and I'm just not familiar enough with these guns, but are you sure yours is 7/16"? I ask because it shows on the Hogue site that the new model Blackhawk, which your original post says the gun is, should be the 1/2" model, but of course that is the Hogue site and not the Ruger site, etc.

I can't see the details printed on the info on your last pic in the OP well enough to read it.

May also want to check out Pachmayr's offerings on these.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, been a while since I had my Super Blackhawk, and I'm just not familiar enough with these guns, but are you sure yours is 7/16"? I ask because it shows on the Hogue site that the new model Blackhawk, which your original post says the gun is, should be the 1/2" model, but of course that is the Hogue site and not the Ruger site, etc.

I can't see the details printed on the info on your last pic in the OP well enough to read it.

May also want to check out Pachmayr's offerings on these.

1. I took the OEM grips off and measured it a dozen times and with two different tapes and it definitely does not have 1/2 inch backstrap and is 7/16 inch.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have no idea where you would get the replacements, but I do believe you can change the grip frame on a Blackhawk.
    It's like 4 screws and the old one is free.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Z

Yours is the same frame as the XR3 which was eliminated in 1973 and brought back a couple of years ago...Any grip that will fit the new Vaquero will fit your gun...

XR3-XR3-RED.jpg

The grip frame you have is basically the Colt SAA size grip frame which is praised the world over for it's perfection......they make some grips called "gunfighter" grips which are very popular......

ruger-new-vaquero-rosewood-gunfighter-ii-grips.jpg

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can't fathom putting rubber grips on a single action revolver...I throw up a little when I shoot my 629 Smith and Wesson with Hogue rubbers but I tell myself it's okay because it's a double action, .44 magnum and has the Hillary Hole......

Just reading the words Hillary Hole made me throw up a little...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can't fathom putting rubber grips on a single action revolver...I throw up a little when I shoot my 629 Smith and Wesson with Hogue rubbers but I tell myself it's okay because it's a double action, .44 magnum and has the Hillary Hole......

I took the Pachmayr's off my 29 and put the factory wood grips back on. It doesn't hurt if you let the gun ride up a little "Dirty Harry" style.:)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I went in and clicked on the site and clickded on the "7/16" example but it did not lead me to where I could order them.

I have no idea where you would get the replacements, but I do believe you can change the grip frame on a Blackhawk.
    It's like 4 screws and the old one is free.

2. I do not want to reinvent the wheel by replacing the grip frame on a perfectly good gun (perfect for someone else, evidently), not that I know what that really means to replace grip frames.

Z

Yours is the same frame as the XR3 which was eliminated in 1973 and brought back a couple of years ago...Any grip that will fit the new Vaquero will fit your gun...

3. "XR3" is a phrase that I have seen plus I seen sites make reference to the "flare."
    4. If I understand the point, any grip fitting the Vaquero will fit, which means the Vaquero must have the 7/16 frame.

XR3-XR3-RED.jpg

The grip frame you have is basically the Colt SAA size grip frame which is praised the world over for it's perfection......they make some grips called "gunfighter" grips which are very popular......

5. "Perfection?" Perfection for what? I didn't like the smallish Ruger SP size grip on 3 different guns that I had, and this has that same smallish grip, so for me, "perfection" must include a good purchase. This is why I always bought "pinky" extensions or extended mags for a full grip of ALL fingers for different guns: too hold it well.

ruger-new-vaquero-rosewood-gunfighter-ii-grips.jpg

6. The above grips don't look any bigger/longer than the ones that are stock.

Doesn't look like Hogue has any overmold grips for the 7/16" frame.

7. That was my experience the last 2 evenings looking for them.

Pachmayr has grips for the Blackhawk, but mixed reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-031...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

8. There is nothing to insure that they are different from the 1/2" and are for the 7/16" grip, and I'm reluctant to order since it's all so confusing to me.
    9. I want order and clarity and don't want the grief of something as simple as a set of grips taking more time to research than buying our last car did. :laugh:

I took the Pachmayr's off my 29 and put the factory wood grips back on. It doesn't hurt if you let the gun ride up a little "Dirty Harry" style.:)

10. Someone else made that reference, and I have no idea what that means. :dunno:
    11. I literally tried holding a higher grip on it, which still did not allow my pinky to get on the handle, and the position of which I was holding the gun was untenable for any shooting.
    :ugh:
    12. Perhaps when I have an understanding of what " let the gun ride up a little "Dirty Harry" style" style means it will someone allow all my fingers on the handle and still be able to aim the gun properly. :dunno:

13. I appreciate everyone's input, truly! :thumbsup: I know I over think everything.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Doddg, didnt mean to add confusion. I was referring to a different style of revolver. It has much different frame/grip design.

Top Bottom