• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg, didnt mean to add confusion. I was referring to a different style of revolver. It has much different frame/grip design.

1. I do like a big frame revolvers.
    2. I thought you were suggesting that a person could put on a big grip frame on a smaller frame gun.
    3. Of course, I'm thinking: sell the gun with the small grip and buy a larger frame gun with a large grip.
    4. My Ruger Security 6 has large wooden grips on it, but it came with some small grips (for CC I assume): I love it (but only a snubbie, not my favorite range gun), but it has a "manly" grip on it. :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like it's DIY time! Go get some plasti-dip, preferably black but if doddg wants to be his flamboyant self then get the yellow!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-14-5-oz-Black-Plasti-Dip-11603-6/202196703

1. I could not quit laughing!!! :rofl:

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

I predict a Blackhawk Convertible in the classifieds soon. :)

2. I said that the 1st night I came home from its inaugural shooting trial.
    3. Everything else is just to delay the inevitable. I wouldn't mind a decent set of grips so I could shoot a few rounds through it first, though.
    4. Since it is after Xmas the market will be slow so I have time to play with it.
    5. I'll even go back to the range to run some .357 through it as someone suggested, and perhaps another round of 9mm and some .38 before my hands start bleeding. :crying:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

4. Since it is after Xmas the market will be slow so I have time to play with it.

You got that right! I keep thinking someone got Christmas money, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It was the same for me last year when I tried to sell a firearm. I had to wait a month or so until credit card bills got paid off before I moved my CZ. It will probably be the same with my Walther.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "5. "Perfection?" Perfection for what? I didn't like the smallish Ruger SP size grip on 3 different guns that I had, and this has that same smallish grip, so for me, "perfection" must include a good purchase. This is why I always bought "pinky" extensions or extended mags for a full grip of ALL fingers for different guns: too hold it well."

Shooting...Perfection for shooting...The grip frame on your Ruger, the XR3, is essentially the same grip frame on the 1851 Navy used later on the 1873 Colt SAA...Ruger beefed it up for the Super Blackhawk and then in 1973 put the beefier grip on ALL their single actions...Shooters complained and bought oversized grips TO MIMIC THE XR3's grip....The reason you can't find no oversized grips for it is they are no longer needed..It's back to perfect...

Pinkies are as useless as our little toe...Make a fist and see where your pinky goes...It curls up exactly like it does on my J frame's with boot grips...the only time I use my pinky is when shooting a revolver upside down to show off....A firearm is an inanimate object whereas our hand can be adapted to do many things....From 1851 to 2019 the grip frame you are fretting over has been praised by everyone from James Butler Hickock, Wyatt Earp, Bill Tilghman, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, his son Bart Skeleton, Mike Venturino, John Taffin, etc...

1851-2019...168 years of perfection in pointability.....

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    "5. "Perfection?" Perfection for what? I didn't like the smallish Ruger SP size grip on 3 different guns that I had, and this has that same smallish grip, so for me, "perfection" must include a good purchase. This is why I always bought "pinky" extensions or extended mags for a full grip of ALL fingers for different guns: too hold it well."

Shooting...Perfection for shooting...The grip frame on your Ruger, the XR3, is essentially the same grip frame on the 1851 Navy used later on the 1873 Colt SAA...Ruger beefed it up for the Super Blackhawk and then in 1973 put the beefier grip on ALL their single actions...Shooters complained and bought oversized grips TO MIMIC THE XR3's grip....The reason you can't find no oversized grips for it is they are no longer needed..It's back to perfect...

Pinkies are as useless as our little toe...Make a fist and see where your pinky goes...It curls up exactly like it does on my J frame's with boot grips...the only time I use my pinky is when shooting a revolver upside down to show off....A firearm is an inanimate object whereas our hand can be adapted to do many things....From 1851 to 2019 the grip frame you are fretting over has been praised by everyone from James Butler Hickock, Wyatt Earp, Bill Tighlman, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and his son Bart Skeleton, Mike Venturino, John Taffin, etc...

1851-2019...168 years of perfection in pointability.....

And I thought Glock fanbois were bad. :):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And I thought Glock fanbois were bad. :):

It's because I am an American...:)

That grip frame is arguably the most American grip frame in the world...1851-2019 and still going strong....From Hickock to Keith and beyond.....

wild-bill-guns.jpg

f38e533212f99f75491ca22953b6ffdf.jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    OK, doddg, this thread has kinda gone in some different directions but let me offer a bit of my limited experiences...

I started out with SW revolvers found the grip that I like. Transitioned into semi-autos and have been shooting those far more than anything else in recent years. Full size semi autos have an easy grip to manage. Lots of real estate to work with and places to have thumbs, pinkies, etc. When I go back to a revolver, I have to slow down and think about my grip.

I recently purchase a Uberti SAA clone in 45 colt. Couples things I have to remind myself. 1) Thumb on nail. This grip works best for me. 2) Let the firearm roll up slightly in the palm of my hand and get back on target. It is much different than say a SW revolver with a target stock or a 22a with tree trunk grips. Forget about your pinky. You can get plenty of purchase without it.

So before giving up on the differences with a SAA grip I would suggest that you (and maybe you already do) experiment with your grip and your expectations of recoil feel. Below are a couple grips to try. I will have the "thumbs crossed" grip with 44 mag J-frames. Don't give up yet.

Those are Jerry Miculek's hands so if it good enough for him...

Jerry2-5.gif

Jerry2-6.gif

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OK, doddg, this thread has kinda gone in some different directions but let me offer a bit of my limited experiences...
    I started out with SW revolvers found the grip that I like. Transitioned into semi-autos and have been shooting those far more than anything else in recent years. Full size semi autos have an easy grip to manage. Lots of real estate to work with and places to have thumbs, pinkies, etc. When I go back to a revolver, I have to slow down and think about my grip.
    I recently purchase a Uberti SAA clone in 45 colt. Couples things I have to remind myself. 1) Thumb on nail. This grip works best for me. 2) Let the firearm roll up slightly in the palm of my hand and get back on target. It is much different than say a SW revolver with a target stock or a 22a with tree trunk grips. Forget about your pinky. You can get plenty of purchase without it.
    So before giving up on the differences with a SAA grip I would suggest that you (and maybe you already do) experiment with your grip and your expectations of recoil feel. Below are a couple grips to try. I will have the "thumbs crossed" grip with 44 mag J-frames. Don't give up yet.
    Thse are Jerry Miculek's hands so if it good enough for him...

1. When you speak: I listen! :)
    2. I will go back to the range and try to get a grip on it and try to forget my pinky is under the grip. :dunno:
    3. I'm not in a hurry to sell this gun, that's why I would guy a bigger grip like I've done with the S/W 642, Taurus Judge and a few more.
    4. My present Ruger Security Six I would not have bought if it only had the original OEM small grips, but it came with a magnificient large wood grip also.
    5. All this gives me something to look forward to in my boring life. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just got off the phone with www.hogueinc.com/grips (800.438.4747) and the lovely lady I talked knew instantly of my pain and affirmed that nothing was available but she has been taking names of those calling for the 7/16" grips.

I don't know yet who to call about the Packmayr 03137 grips that are on Amazon (guess I'll try Packmayr.com).

She also said that even though I think from my research that mine is the XR3 that was eliminated in 1973 but brought back a couple of years ago, it would be stamped XR3, so I'll check that out.

The XR-3 Red for the 1/2" backstrap has a small "ramp" on near the edge of the corner or the grip frame (terminology probably off).

The 7/16" is for the Flat-top Blackhawk, but it also says it is for the Pre 1963 single action as well as the New Vaquero.
    The lady at Hogue warned me that it wasn't that simple and there were many variations out there.

Wow! My inexperience is really coming to a head on this one: I didn't think I could go wrong with a Ruger revolver, and it has been said that it is "perfection."
    I was going to go back to the range this pm for one last try to like it, and at least try out the .357 rounds to see if they shot closer to point of aim.
    I will try everything to get a better grip using the OEM one, but I am not hopeful, but I would like to play with this gun before I sell it. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    https://texasgrips.com/product/ruger-new-vaquero-extended-xr3/

RUGER NEW VAQUERO (EXTENDED) (XR3)
    $80.00 – $125.00

These Extended grips are 1/2″ longer and wrap around the bottom of the frame, adding more grip area for shooters with larger hands and for shooting larger calibers. They give a whole new feel to these pistols. These grips will fit Ruger XR3 Frames including New Vaquero, Flat- Top Blackhawk, Pre 1963 Single Six, and SASS Vaquero . These grips will also fit all XR3 grip frames models with or without the internal locking mechanism.

They are available in a variety of natural and laminated woods and hand finished with six coats of lacquer. Shown here are our stock materials, but we also have custom woods if you wish to contact us. See also our regular version of this type of grip.

Pricey and not rubber, though. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been spending money on upgrades and bought another gun (too boring to admit what, but not a .22LR this time :) ).
    If it would have been a simple matter of ordering grips for this Ruger: I would have done so, but it took way too much time to researching it, and I wasn't willing to take a chance on them not fitting from what I read: so I'm done with it. Moving on for something with less hassle. I have enough stress at work: don't need it in my hobby.
    I have other things getting my attention, anyway.
    The guy that wants to buy this for his Dad (he's LEO) has been looking for awhile and been disappointed in what he's found, and knows this is a good price for a gun still sparkling.
    It is a 2.5 - 3 hr. round trip drive though, so I hope someone closer wants it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If I could still see open sights like I did even just a few years ago I would be the first in line for your Ruger Flat top.
    I would probably have to use a Burris Fastfire /Vortex Venom sight to see well enough to shoot it at longer ranges. I tried a Vortex on a 2 1/2" Smith 357 and ended up removing it not long afterwards. I just had Smith 27 drilled and tapped for a scope mount a few weeks ago.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I could still see open sights like I did even just a few years ago I would be the first in line for your Ruger Flat top.
    I would probably have to use a Burris Fastfire /Vortex Venom sight to see well enough to shoot it at longer ranges. I tried a Vortex on a 2 1/2" Smith 357 and ended up removing it not long afterwards. I just had Smith 27 drilled and tapped for a scope mount a few weeks ago.

1. I'm there with you about the sight issues. I can't see where I'm hitting the target at 40'.
    2. It is a beautiful gun: chrome with wood is my idea of: :wow:
    3. If the grip would have been that of a GP Ruger not a SP Ruger, I would have kept it and played with it a bit.

Top Bottom