• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Man, o, man ..... if she's that good, you'd better treat her right, and hang on to her ! :D
    I will say (and I'm fairly sure that 'Call Center' will back me up): For an indoor range, Point Blank has the greatest air filtration system.
    It's a bummer that your asthma is acting up.

I had the range to myself today and I was able to build up “stuff” in the air around me to be breathing it in. It was enough to trigger attacks through the evening. I wasn’t helped by the gas blowback from the rifle, that was straight to the face. I had fun and wouldn’t change what I did today, but I’m paying for it. :D It’s just gonna take awhile to clear the system back out from the build up and get it back under control. Which isn’t all bad as my preferred indoor range hiked the membership rates again this year and I’m not renewing mine. Gives me time to figure what I want to do for a range going forward.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I had the range to myself today and I was able to build up “stuff” in the air around me to be breathing it in. It was enough to trigger attacks through the evening. I wasn’t helped by the gas blowback from the rifle, that was straight to the face. I had fun and wouldn’t change what I did today, but I’m paying for it. :D It’s just gonna take awhile to clear the system back out from the build up and get it back under control. Which isn’t all bad as my preferred indoor range hiked the membership rates again this year and I’m not renewing mine. Gives me time to figure what I want to do for a range going forward.
    Got'cha .... good luck ! :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You have a LOT to look forward to ! :) I'd take Aero along, and have him show you the fine nuances.

1. I love going to the range with Aero: he lives somewhat close at least.
    2. He always has great toys.
    3. He outshoots me with my own favorite guns though: really hacks me off! :lmfao:

Lol I think I’m done with indoor ranges for awhile. Today flared the asthma up more than I expected it to. Besides you really need my wife for that, I can hold me own with most but she whoops my hurt when she wants to try.

4. I always love hearing the stories about your wife's shooting: I'm truly jealous.
    5. If my wife would go to the range with me once a quarter, I'd be in hog heaven (whatever that means :laugh:).
    5. After meeting her makes it even better! Old people like to see nice young married couples.
    6. Remember the old saying: couples that shoot together, stay together! (Yes, I made that up. :lmfao:).

Man, o, man ..... if she's that good, you'd better treat her right, and hang on to her ! :D
    I will say (and I'm fairly sure that 'Call Center' will back me up): For an indoor range, Point Blank has the greatest air filtration system.
    It's a bummer that your asthma is acting up.

7. Nice to know about Point Blank.
    8. I was just in there 2 days ago b/c I wanted to hold a CZ P-07 in my hand to compare to the P-10 that I'm selling: same size, but I like the hammer and decocker setup better).

9. Makes me wonder if you shouldn't use a "surgical" type of mask or at least a little drywall mask (used when sanding drywall) to restrict inhalants.
    10. Sorry to hear about the range fees. It is further away (by a few minutes) than Point Blank, but was under consideration.
    11. I've been wondering about what I'll do in the context of the range I choose b/c of their air-filtration system.
    11. My 88, soon to be 89 yr. old friend here (that got my Smith 41 working flawlessly) has been going to the range I go to (Post/Washington) forever, but I was warned about their air filtration not being up to snuff, but he has had no complaints.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Air filtration isn’t exactly cut and dry. I’ve not been in a range yet where a full shooting bay can’t make it a bit smokey. I’ve had it happen at Point Blank in Carmel, Indy Arms and I’ve seen it at Indy Gun Bunker. I’ve also seen all three of those ranges have no issues with air quality on days where they have been lightly used. Number of people, ammo, quantity of shots. It all effects how well the system works.

My issue currently is just being stuck between two walls doesn’t let it clear out quick enough. There are other options for me, I’ll just avoid indoor ranges as much as possible and limit my time when I can’t. I won’t let the asthma control me, but I will limit its opportunities to show up when I can.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Turbo smart !

1. I find that Aero's insight into many things on target (yes, all puns intended). I have told him before that I should always check with him before buying a certain gun I'm looking into.
    2. There had been 2-3 times I have not bought a gun simply b/c he asks questions, bringing me back to sanity, or simply says, "Neh," or I have gone ahead and got a gun b/c he gave a :thumbsup:.
    3. We were talking once about my car and he reflected on a negative characteristic about my a roadster that was spot on, and most aren't even aware of the car existing (Honda S2000). If people don't know the car I just tell them its an $80,000 Jaguar. :lmfao:(my lottery winnings next car)
    4. This car I have had nearly 9 yrs. and since 8745 miles (now nearing 90k): it was my biggest splurge of my life since I quit MCs after a couple of "spills" and the wind could still go "through my hair," well, not literally! :oldwise:

YgvXYsH.jpg
    Bo7YiYX.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice car !!!

1. I've posted pics before (I don't need much of an excuse :laugh:).
    2. In the winter it's just transportation, but when convertible weather hits (anything above 50*), it refreshes me again.
    3. I think of replacing it in the winter and getting my last car since there are other convertibles I would like to try, but since this one is paid off and retirement is coming, I thought I'd just hang onto it before going to just 1 car for both of us (never happened since married): I'm not sure either one of us could handle not having a car available on demand, but we'll see.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg ,I did not expect your car to be a S2000! If I recall it is a 2.0 with 240 HP? Very nice!

1. What can I say, I have a car background: mostly with antiques though, but I've always had convertibles from the 1st car I owned at 18 yrs. old.
    2. 1964 Triumph Herald, 1979 MG, 94 Jeep, 94 and 95 Honda del sol (and 20 MCs).
    3. You are correct. Mine is an '04 that went down from the 9000 rpms to 8000 rpms.
    4. I'm in a car club, so I've gotten to drive the 9k, and a personal friend has one (I helped him look for 2 yrs before he found what he wanted: 90k miles for $10k).
    5. I'd love to have a twin turbo BMW Z4 (test drove a couple when my son was looking 4 yrs. ago), but I just wouldn't step up to the $50,000 price tag, and I wouldn't buy a BMW that wasn't under warranty (almost did once but it was an automatic, not manual: perfect profile).
    6. Did someone say, more pics?

tEJ3LVS.jpg
    we8PCk1.jpg
    iomATPF.jpg
    YeVmXK5.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice car Doddg! I picked up one of the new Fiat Spiders back at the end of 2016 and love that thing. It’s hard to stay stressed after a long day in the office when driving a convertible like yours home.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice car Doddg! I picked up one of the new Fiat Spiders back at the end of 2016 and love that thing. It’s hard to stay stressed after a long day in the office when driving a convertible like yours home.

1. I have enjoyed reading of the Fiats; I believe you got one out of the garage lately (unless there is another Fiat afectionado here).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you got to shoot the charger yet?

Hey Ben!
    No, I'm saving it till the summer time.
    I'm too busy trying to trim my .22LRs (and my 9mm as well).

I'm done trimming the revolvers: keepint a Dan Wesson 8" that I bought off one of my favorite members here.
    Struggling to trim down my semi-autos, but I think I can get it down to two (Smith 41 & Browning Buckmark Hunter).
    Then comes the chance for the Ruger Charger with the Red Dot.
    Saving it for Retirement. If it doesn't shoot any better than my pistols: it gets sold and I'll figure out what I should buy in perhaps a .22LR rifle, but I'm hoping that the Charger will take care of that itch.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hey Ben!
    No, I'm saving it till the summer time.
    I'm too busy trying to trim my .22LRs (and my 9mm as well).

I'm done trimming the revolvers: keepint a Dan Wesson 8" that I bought off one of my favorite members here.
    Struggling to trim down my semi-autos, but I think I can get it down to two (Smith 41 & Browning Buckmark Hunter).
    Saving it for Retirement. If it doesn't shoot any better than my pistols: it gets sold and I'll figure out what I should buy in perhaps a .22LR rifle, but I'm hoping that the Charger will take care of that itch.

Something you will want to watch when you jump into the red dot arena is what MOA your dot is. Bigger dot will open up groups but be quicker, smaller dot should tighten up groups but be slower to acquire target. I'd think on that Charger you would want something to allow some precision shooting. Just my :twocents: Some folks with more knowledge on the topic of optics will be able to provide more info.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

The Charger with a red dot and shooting from a rest should allow you to shoot much more accurately than a pistol with open sights. I have Burris 2x-7x on my Charger. At 25 yards it shoots ragged holes but at 50 it has not been as accurate as my TC Contender 10" when it wore the same scope. My Charger has a Kidd 10" barrel.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Something you will want to watch when you jump into the red dot arena is what MOA your dot is. Bigger dot will open up groups but be quicker, smaller dot should tighten up groups but be slower to acquire target. I'd think on that Charger you would want something to allow some precision shooting. Just my :twocents: Some folks with more knowledge on the topic of optics will be able to provide more info.

I have no experience with any type of optic which is one of the reasons I'm putting off messing with my Charger with a red dot.
    I even bought a Bushnell red dot which sits in my closet waiting it's turn on one of my pistols.
    I will go down that road this summer after Retirement.
    I look forward to learning about Red dots, steel shooting and even Bowling Pin shooting.
    Maybe I'll get lucky and I will meet with someone at the range who can give me the Red Dot 101 course this summer.

I just realized that I'd better save one of my .22LR semi-autos that I can mount a red dot on it.
    I've had some that you can't put an optic on, some (like my Mark 4 Target) that have been drilled and you need to buy a rail for it, and then some like the SW 22A that I sold, that have a rail on it already.
    It will be hilarious if I end up selling all the pistols that had a rail, and I end up having to buy a gun just to get a rail to put my red dot on. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is there a rail in the box for the MkIV? If not, I should have several floating around here.

Interesting. Thanks for being helpful. :thumbsup:
    I'll keep that in mind as I look over my pistols I have and see if a rail (or potential) will be a driving force for which I keep, since I must keep at least one for a red dot.
    W/O remembering too well, I don't think the SW Victory has a rail for a place to anchor a red dot, and if the Browning does not, the Mark 4 would have to be a "keeper."
    I'll check when I get home from work: got to get ready now!

Top Bottom