• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Personally I don't worry much about an occasional failure with a .22 auto anything. The ammo is just not manufactured as "tight" as centerfire is and being a rimfire may even contribute a little, I don't know.

I have some really fine .22's and with the exception of my revolver they have all had failures on occasion with certain ammo brands. The key for me is to find that round that doesn't fail, make sure I make a note of it and use it consistently. Stuff that doesn't work gets used up in my revolver.

Your groups look good. Nice to see your getting out to practice.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Personally I don't worry much about an occasional failure with a .22 auto anything. The ammo is just not manufactured as "tight" as centerfire is and being a rimfire may even contribute a little, I don't know.
    I have some really fine .22's and with the exception of my revolver they have all had failures on occasion with certain ammo brands. The key for me is to find that round that doesn't fail, make sure I make a note of it and use it consistently. Stuff that doesn't work gets used up in my revolver.
    Your groups look good. Nice to see your getting out to practice.

1. I do the same thing: there is a particular brand (Something M-22???) that I only use in my revolvers since it doesn't want to work in the semi-autos.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another evening at the range, and going the next 2 days to meet people also: fun, fun!
    Last night 6/150 failures or 1/25 rounds failed.
    I used my Lucas Gun oil, took it apart (easy-peasy) and light/medium oiled it. (already been cleaned and a hint of oil used).
    120 rounds w/o any failures.
    In 180 rounds only 2 failures: 1/90 rounds failed.
    I am getting together with a Smith 41 expert (literally: in his 80s and used them competitively when he had eyes, ha!) tomorrow at the range.
    Can't wait to get his verdict.
    Thursday getting with a favorite member here to shoot: always fun b/c he has something I want to shoot and I have 1 or 2 myself.

50 feet, but I couldn't retrieve it to take a pic. I don't know how to magnify it. I think I see some shots in the red, but not sure.
    eIU942V.jpg

cYjFPln.jpg

ooJIDtc.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got the 41 shooting fine.
    Dealt with the FTE issues.
    My 88 yr. old friend from here (expert and experienced in all things S/W 41) had a tool that he inserted into the chamber and with a few twist and turns had it where a round would slip right in and out, instead of being difficult to extract.

I put 250 rounds through the 41 today w/o barely an issue, just normal .22LR ammo things: 1 FTF round even though there was a good strike, and 1 round that got stuck ejecting: I'll take that in 250 rounds (normal).

Here are some range pics.
    3R3r4h8.jpg

fyjde91.jpg

YudEKDx.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...My 88 yr. old friend from here (expert and experienced in all things S/W 41) had a tool that he inserted into the chamber and with a few twist and turns had it where a round would slip right in and out, instead of being difficult to extract...

Most likely indicating a build up of carbon deposits in the chamber due to it not being thoroughly cleaned. A typical problem.

How do you feel the S&W 41 compares to your other .22's now that you have it working correctly?

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Rest that pistol across some bags, Gary. I scoped mine and it will do 1/2" at 25 yds.

1. I was just talking to someone here that was saying the same thing!

Most likely indicating a build up of carbon deposits in the chamber due to it not being thoroughly cleaned. A typical problem.

2. The previous owner had cleaned it (I've learned not to mention names), and I did a thorough job with it as well, and the barrel was sparkling before I cleaned it and I could see the "rifling."
    3. My 88 yr. old friend explained it to me, but it was technical, ha! (I'd love to sing his praises, but I am paranoid about using names since some object).
    4. I have gotten so much "love" about helping me with me Smith 41 project and am so appreciative.
    5. I have more money in it than I would like, but at least it is running well now. I guess if you buy a gun from a guy who had it in his safe for decades, he could have shot it muchly and didn't know it needed some restorative attention.
    6. If I end up keeping it, it doesn't matter, and if I sell it, I will be able to do so with nice new replacement parts.
    7. I did learn from my 88 yr. old friend that if the extractor needs replacing, do it with a Volquartsen extractor: better than the S/W extractor. I used the S/W since I didn't know any better, but it won't be any issue I imagine until after I'm dead and gone.
    8. In talking to another friend here, he recommends taking a Ruger and putting in Volquartson parts in it, even a barrel.
    9. He has posts about it.
    10. By the way gmcttr: don't think I've forgotten about shooting with you this summer: I'll be retired, so when I get done traveling the world, I'll have time for that. :rofl:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    8. In talking to another friend here, he recommends taking a Ruger and putting in Volquartson parts in it, even a barrel

VQ makes some good stuff - have one of their 10/22 barrels that is a remarkably shooter but the stock 10/22 was the least accurate of all my 22 rifles. In the case of my 5 Ruger Target pistols , all MKII series - they are pretty much equivalent to my 41 in accuracy with their Ruger factory barrels.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time. First time with this gun in nearly 3 months.
    Been busy with other pursuits.
    I had previously got some internals replaced to get it running right with the help of 2 members here.

My shooting certainly shows I haven't practiced at that range with it in awhile.
    I can't see the sights too well since I need to paint the front sights red and maybe the rear white (my usuall).
    I might sell the 41 if it doesn't do much better than my other .22LRs since it is 3 times the cost of the others, I have been reluctant to paint the sights.
    I do have a red dot that I have been saving to put it on one of my deserving .22LRs, but haven't got that far yet.

xD1AVSs.jpg

Last edited:

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    46? I'll have to look that up.
    The Smith 22A-1 has been a very good gun for me (had 3 and still have 1 left).
    The 46 is the less refined version of the 41 plastic grips and less fine blueing. Made between 1957 and 1966. Was originaly done as a less expensive version of the 41 for Military training. The general public didn't buy into it and instead purchased the 41.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The 46 is the less refined version of the 41 plastic grips and less fine blueing. Made between 1957 and 1966. Was originaly done as a less expensive version of the 41 for Military training. The general public didn't buy into it and instead purchased the 41.

Yes, I read up on that.
    The 46 seems to come with a price on it now: collectors item, I guess.
    Loved the part about making 1000 (or was it 2500) for the Air Force as trainers!

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    [FONT=&amp]My 41 has a Clark barrel with an Ultra-Dot. With CCI SV Target this pistol is better than I could ever hope to be.
    I had the trigger cleaned up and a thorough tune up by a preeminent pistol-smith David Sams (He does the Michigan State Police competition pistols).

Sams Custom Gunworks LLC

My grips are by Randall Fung, made for my hand.

Randall Fung Match Grips

This is a fantastic pistol, this handgun will not be sold.

Doug

[SUB][/SUB][/FONT]

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    [FONT=&amp]My 41 has a Clark barrel with an Ultra-Dot. With CCI SV Target this pistol is better than I could ever hope to be.
    I had the trigger cleaned up and a thorough tune up by a preeminent pistol-smith David Sams (He does the Michigan State Police competition pistols).

Sams Custom Gunworks LLC

My grips are by Randall Fung, made for my hand.

Randall Fung Match Grips

This is a fantastic pistol, this handgun will not be sold.

Doug

[/FONT]

I wish you would have posted a pic: you'll hear that much around here, even though it might be a common enough gun, but a SW 41, with a Clark barrel and those special grips: COOL!!!
    In fact, you should post it on the Rimfire thread that Areoflyer started not long ago!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The S/W 41 has been out of commission for months b/c of trying to local a rear sight vertical screw.
    I wasn't satisfied with the rear sight: the screw was stripped some and would work its way loose.
    I have no patience with mechanical things not working correctly, and I set out to replace the screw, but I could not find one anywhere. :dunno:
    I took it to Jeff at J.M. Gunsmithing (he moved his business), but his phone is the same.
    I needed to use his connections to find one.
    This is after trying to find one from my 88 yr. old friend who had helped me tweak this gun, but even with his decades-old connections, couldn't locate one.

It took Jeff calling all over the States to find a vertical screw: noone had one in stock even if online it said they did.
    He kept getting recommendations from dealers to call someone else and finally, when he thought all was lost: BINGO.

I thought I was going to have to put the rail and scope back on it that it had come with the gun.
    The previous owner had bought and put a rear sight back on it, and it worked fine at first, but that vertical screw kept working its way loose the more use the gun got.

Can't wait to put it through its paces at the range against a Ruger Mark 3 that I bought with a Volquartsen barrel and some other refinements.
    I now have $1045 in the Smith 41, so it will have to earn its keep to stay in the safe.
    It is nice to feel it in the hand again: nothing like it! :thumbsup:
    Last time I shot it, my Browning Buckmark Target & my Smith Victory were shooting as well as the Smith, if memory serves.
    That will have to change.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The S/W 41 has been out of commission for months b/c of trying to local a rear sight vertical screw.
    I wasn't satisfied with the rear sight: the screw was stripped some and would work its way loose.
    I have no patience with mechanical things not working correctly, and I set out to replace the screw, but I could not find one anywhere. :dunno:
    I took it to Jeff at J.M. Gunsmithing (he moved his business), but his phone is the same.
    I needed to use his connections to find one.
    This is after trying to find one from my 88 yr. old friend who had helped me tweak this gun, but even with his decades-old connections, couldn't locate one.

It took Jeff calling all over the States to find a vertical screw: noone had one in stock even if online it said they did.
    He kept getting recommendations from dealers to call someone else and finally, when he thought all was lost: BINGO.

I thought I was going to have to put the rail and scope back on it that it had come with the gun.
    The previous owner had bought and put a rear sight back on it, and it worked fine at first, but that vertical screw kept working its way loose the more use the gun got.

Can't wait to put it through its paces at the range against a Ruger Mark 3 that I bought with a Volquartsen barrel and some other refinements.
    I now have $1045 in the Smith 41, so it will have to earn its keep to stay in the safe.
    It is nice to feel it in the hand again: nothing like it! :thumbsup:
    Last time I shot it, my Browning Buckmark Target & my Smith Victory were shooting as well as the Smith, if memory serves.
    That will have to change

Remember when these came out there wasn't a lot of competition, the Rugers which weren't a target gun, some Colt Woodsman's and probably High Standards. New guns may very well shoot as well as the old 41's now!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Remember when these came out there wasn't a lot of competition, the Rugers which weren't a target gun, some Colt Woodsman's and probably High Standards. New guns may very well shoot as well as the old 41's now!

Logical insight & conclusion.
    I wondered why some put Clark barrels on the 41, but that could be it.
    I admit to not being mesmerized by the 41 & its accuracy, even though I love the weight and feel, but it very well could just be me, but in using a rest and the same ammo with my remaining 4 semi-autos, the results are enough for me.

I have a Mark 3 with upgraded Volquartsen barrel and other fineries, but I don't "like" it as well, since it doesn't have the "heft" which I like. :(
    I actually like the "feel" of the Browning Buckmark Target & S/W Victory better than the Ruger Mark 3/Volquartsen barrel.
    At the end of the day, I will keep the one that gives me the greatest pleasure.

I have sold guns that shot well, but it bugged me the way the magazines resisted being loaded (my Colt Target was that way), while some were slick/smooth in loading (like the Victory & Buckmark).
    I was hoping the Mark 3/VL would take the place of the SW 41 since I have less money tied up in it and it is newer (although I've replace "all" the wearable internals in the 41).
    I have the luxury that I don't have a deadline for trimming, and I'm actually ahead in trimming the .22LRs than I am with 9mms.
    I don't know how that happened, since the .22LR is my 1st love. :dunno:

I had trimmed down to 3 calibers, but I got up to 8, but now back down to 5 calibers.
    Got to have a .38 special and or .357 magnum in the house & for CC. (love my "new" Kimber .357 with 6 rounds and nearly identical in size as my Ruger LCRx .38 sp.) :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom