• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    Remember when gas stations had "price wars" to see who could sell it the most cheaply and thus take business from their competitors? Now it seems like it's price wars in reverse. It seems like when one station raises it's prices (say, Speedway or BP), the others immediately raise theirs too. They used to call that price fixing. Now it is called, "business as usual".

I know exactly what your saying. I've been following the price spike with BP in northern indiana. Today marathon in the louisville area announced that their prices are going to spike as well. Due to the BP refinery up north being down for the next few weeks! Wtf. I saw prices go from 2.29 this morning to 2.89 @ lunchtime. Wtf! Either way they have us all by the balls.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Wtf Somebody take too long of a nap and forget to switch a valve and #&%$ something up. Watching for some proud BP home signs!! nice job guys, nice to see all those big wages helping the average consumer out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wtf Somebody take too long of a nap and forget to switch a valve and #&%$ something up. Watching for some proud BP home signs!! nice job guys, nice to see all those big wages helping the average consumer out.

More likely they're seeing the effects of managers running the place during the strike.
    Do you think they got all their maintenance done properly?
    I'm sure quite a few sensors and systems were not properly maintained.
    Modern manufacturing gets by with less people, by having complicated equipment.
    Complicated equipment requires constant care.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    More likely they're seeing the effects of managers running the place during the strike.
    Do you think they got all their maintenance done properly?
    I'm sure quite a few sensors and systems were not properly maintained.
    Modern manufacturing gets by with less people, by having complicated equipment.
    Complicated equipment requires constant care.

Are you telling us that management personnel who don't know anything but how to scream at people to work harder and faster are not adequate to maintain the equipment they ostensibly know how to tell others to maintain?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are you telling us that management personnel who don't know anything but how to scream at people to work harder and faster are not adequate to maintain the equipment they ostensibly know how to tell others to maintain?

Yup........:)

Actually, I won't even go there.
    But it's numbers.
    A small amount of managers can not do all the work regularly done.
    They will concentrate on getting product out the door, and minimal maintenance to accomplish that.
    Then, when the crews come back, a lot of red lined equipment will have been forgotten.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Actually, I won't even go there.
    But it's numbers.
    A small amount of managers can not do all the work regularly done.
    They will concentrate on getting product out the door, and minimal maintenance to accomplish that.
    Then, when the crews come back, a lot of red lined equipment will have been forgotten.
    Maybe there's sarcasm there that it's just too early in the morning to register...but trust me, just because you're a manager, it does not necessarily follow you know how to run anything. You might have enough that know enough to keep the place from blowing up but to actually run it right and keep stuff maintained...hardly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe there's sarcasm there that it's just too early in the morning to register...but trust me, just because you're a manager, it does not necessarily follow you know how to run anything. You might have enough that know enough to keep the place from blowing up but to actually run it right and keep stuff maintained...hardly.

There are industries in which I would refuse to work because of managers who don't have a clue in the universe what they are doing, and I have reached a point in my life that I have no patience with people who a couple of decades ago would have been absolutely unemployable in the field they are in because of their incompetence.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Rest assured. Even though there was a strike, there was a substantial crew of capable workers who were allowed in the plant for safety reasons. Necessary maintenance was never neglected.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Yeah, I would like to see a timeline comparing price drops and shutdowns of the BP refinery and subsequent price hikes. Seems like we always have a "malfunction" or an accident or just "routine maintenance" whenever it appears prices will be low for awhile.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah, I would like to see a timeline comparing price drops and shutdowns of the BP refinery and subsequent price hikes. Seems like we always have a "malfunction" or an accident or just "routine maintenance" whenever it appears prices will be low for awhile.
    Can't speak for malfunctions, but it would make sense to do maintenance when prices are low.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Indeed so. Consistent occurrence leads one to doubt that coincidental nature.

Top Bottom