• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What I want to know is what legal genius didnt see that coming? How do you file suit knowing that a law will get your case thrown out immediately... AND cost your plaintiff big bucks?

I can see the conversation outside the courtroom... "What do you MEAN you didnt know this would happen?"

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What I want to know is what legal genius didnt see that coming? How do you file suit knowing that a law will get your case thrown out immediately... AND cost your plaintiff big bucks?

I can see the conversation outside the courtroom... "What do you MEAN you didnt know this would happen?"

It's a pre-fabricated outrage. Now there will be pressure to repeal the law. If it saves one child...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Or the theater, for having a "gun free" policy?

The theater chain, Cinemark, is being sued, but not for the "gun free" policy. The suit alleges they should have had more "security," e.g. off-duty cops or security company people.
    Cinemark Again Fails To Toss Aurora Theater Shooting Lawsuits | Deadline
    I haven't seen a more recent article on it tho.

Dave Hardy at Of Arms and the Law says the $280K judgment is about 5% of the Brady Mob's assets, or 10% of their budget. If the Brady Mob had any ethics at all (ha!) and/or the family had any smarts, they would have agreed in advance that Brady would pick up the tab for adverse outcomes, but they may not have anticipated an order like this. Hardy points out that the PLCAA doesn't provide for loser-pays, and the commenters are coming up with Colorado-specific laws that provide for such an order. I wonder if the Brady lawyers realized that could happen.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Interesting. No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money points out a discovery by one of his readers that the parents who sued Lucky Gunner et al are employees of the Brady mob.

ETA: The husband lists one of his duties as "Led the department in adding names of gun owners to the database."

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    And more:

Judge berates Brady group in Lucky Gunner settlement
    “Those who ignite a fire should be responsible for the cost of suppressing it before it becomes a conflagration,” wrote Senior District Judge Richard P. Matsch about the Brady Campaign when he awarded $203,000 on June 17 to the retailers the organization sued. He was critical of the group for using the court to publicize its political agenda at the expense of a handful of retailers.

Brady vs. Lucky Gunner
    While it is not yet clear when the $111,971.10 fee reimbursement will be paid, we [Lucky Gunner] are going to donate 100% of what is recovered to groups that support and defend the 2nd Amendment. We will fight to recover these funds from the Brady Center and to hold the Brady Center responsible for yet another frivolous lawsuit.Please tell us where you want the recovered fees to go by voting in the form... [at the link just above].

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Update:
    No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money: Why Do I Suspect A Disinformation Campaign?

The Phillips are apparently making the rounds of sympathetic media (MSNBC) claiming the judgment is forcing them into bankruptcy, ...

At a status conference this past Monday, I met one of the lawyers for Lucky Gunner in this case (firearms cases is what he does). We didn't have a chance to discuss this case, but next time I see him, I'll see how the efforts to collect are going.

BTW- I hear tell that the Brady Campaign has plenty of money, so that's who their whining should be directed to.

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

BTW- I hear tell that the Brady Campaign has plenty of money, so that's who their whining should be directed to.

I suspect the guy at No Lawyers is right in his suspicions -- the Phillips's are employees of the Brady mob, so they are using the bankruptcy plea right now for publicity while the judgment is appealed, and if the crunch ever comes, Brady will fork over the dollars.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Top Bottom