• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It is obvious that I am a fan of the ESEE line but I am starting to branch out a little and looking for other field/survival/camp knives out there. I am not a knife collector so collection value means nothing to me and want something with real life practical ability. There is a few knives out there that have caught my eye and one of them is "The Green Beret Knife" by Chirs Reeve. I could care less what the name is of the knife but the design looks like something that interests me a lot and I know that Chris Reeve makes really nice knives. Here is a link:
    Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    you'll pay for chris reeves, that's for sure. some way cheaper knives that are just as if not more capables are blind horse knives. they are all designed with bushcraft/survival in mind, no nonsense knives. dan and LT are great to deal with as well.

http://blindhorseknives.com/

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have seen the Blindhorse table at the 1500 and have never heard anything bad about them. One thing that I have ran into is that I am picky with how the grip feels when it comes to a bag knife. I like the feel of the ESEE 5 better then the ESEE 4 as I prefer the larger grip. That is one thing that I am struggling to find on another knife. I want something with a good sized blade 4+ inches but also the same grip length as the ESEE 5 or even a little bigger.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have had multiple chris reeves knives. they are all very nice and of great quality but you definitely pay for the name. one of his knives was copied by schrade ultimate survival knive i think it was and during the extreme torture test its actually lasted longer than the chris reeves.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    i have had multiple chris reeves knives. they are all very nice and of great quality but you definitely pay for the name. one of his knives was copied by schrade ultimate survival knive i think it was and during the extreme torture test its actually lasted longer than the chris reeves.

I am by no means a person who has to have the best name. I prefer quality no matter what the price is. As of now I am still a real novice compared to a lot of people here on knives which is why I am open to all suggestions. If you have an idea of something else that fits the grip size and is made with quality in mind then I welcome suggestions.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    it all depends honestly. tops, swamp rat, scrap yard knives, busse, blind horse knives, zero tolerance, strider (a bit over priced imo but great knives and fixed blades aren't to crazy priced if you look around) and many many more. there are a ton of great companies out there with very good history and warranties. honestly get with some knife guys and hold/play with them and see what feels best to you. get with knife lady this 1500 and check out all the fixed blades she has and see what you like the best, and others at the show. unfortunately blind horse, mike (busse, swamp rat ect) and a few others won't be at this show due to blade but there should still be more than enough stuff for you to play with and figure out what you like the best.

also don't leave out the great custom makers (depending can be a bit more expensive) cubby on here, fiddleback forge, horton knives, koyote knives, ban, and many others over on blade forums.

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    If you want to branch out get with Cubby and tell him your ideals and the features you want and then let him build it for you. Grunt soldier has it right there's a lot of knives out there for less money than a CRK that will do everything you want and then some.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'm testing out the CJS Argo right now, well the prototype. The next revision of it is I believe going to be 5/32 or 3/16th thick, and made of O1 Steel instead of 1095. And I believe its going to be an almost 3/4inch longer blade. He is also from what he has told me going to be trying out some micarta grips on it. Should make for an interesting knife. Here is a picture of the prototype i'm testing. The maker is INGO's own Capt. Jeff.

DSC05396.jpg

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm testing out the CJS Argo right now, well the prototype. The next revision of it is I believe going to be 5/32 or 3/16th thick, and made of O1 Steel instead of 1095. And I believe its going to be an almost 3/4inch longer blade. He is also from what he has told me going to be trying out some micarta grips on it. Should make for an interesting knife. Here is a picture of the prototype i'm testing. The maker is INGO's own Capt. Jeff.

DSC05396.jpg

This is an interesting knife, I caught it at the end of the Ironclad review. Looking forward to a review on the production model of this knife. Any idea when this will go into production?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    This is an interesting knife, I caught it at the end of the Ironclad review. Looking forward to a review on the production model of this knife. Any idea when this will go into production?

You will have to ask Capt. Jeff that. I just know that this knife is sharp as the Ironclad and definitely fills the roll of a survival/bushcraft knife. And I love the sheath, its got so many options, i can leave it angled on my belt, or i can mount it anyway I want with paracord.:twocents:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The brands I would look at if I was looking for a quality knife, are Busse/Swamp Rat/Scrapyard, Fallkniven, Crusader Forge, Grayman, Fehrman, and Bark River.

Anything by any of these companies will be a serious user.

I would have included ESEE in that lineup, but you're already a fan of ESEE.

As far as Chris Reeve goes... there is a 5.5" on the exchange I keep eyeballing, but in all honesty I'm just not a big fan of stainless steel, even S30V.

Top Bottom