• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    In my small amount of experience reloading, I have noticed there are some headstamps I prefer not to use. For example, this evening I was priming .223 and every so often I had some that were extremely tight. They were all PMJ headstamps. (Yes I reamed the crimps). All of my lake city was fine. I've also noticed that every federal case is short. They measure 1.735 to 1.745 and it's not that big of a deal for what I'm doing with it but it drives my inner OCD crazy as I'm trimming to 1.75.

What at other brass do INGO reloaders hate dealing with? Any caliber.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    None that I really hate. I find that Federal primer pockets seem to loosen up quicker than others and PPU seems pretty tight when seating them. Something that is surprisingly easy and nice to reload is the Wolf/Tula 45acp. The steel is soft and shapes well, primer pockets are just right. I can usually get 2-3 loading out of them before the coating is gone and they are more prone to rust, or the case mouth splits. It's funny to see the looks on some peoples faces when you pull out a box of Russian ammo loaded with XTP or Gold Dots. "Yeah, they just started doing it. You have to look hard and ask around." I usually reserve that for friends that won't get mad or the occasional range lurker that won't leave me alone when I'm trying to shoot.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    The word I read is ' reamed '. Buy yourself a Dillon Super Swager and with pushing a die into the primer pocket you will get a much better formed primer pocket. And with that you will get a much more uniform pocket.

.when you ream all you cut off is the top of the Crimp, you don't expand and size the inside of the primer pocket that has been reduced in size from the crimping operation.

The only brass I don't load are ones that don't easily go into a shell holder, or ones that have a black ring around the primer where gas has leaked out.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't have any that I hate! I do love the LC stuff though... The only I have had a few issues with is the 9mm brass from freedom munitions is a bit tough when pressing the new primer in. Not anything awful but very noticeable and requires a harder push on the press handle.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have the rcbs swager combo that I use on my press but it's kind of a pain to use. It does make priming lake city brass really easy but I get tired of beating the crap out of my press to get it back out of the primer pocket. That and reaming is so much faster with the Lyman prep center.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    In my small amount of experience reloading, I have noticed there are some headstamps I prefer not to use. For example, this evening I was priming .223 and every so often I had some that were extremely tight. They were all PMJ headstamps. (Yes I reamed the crimps). All of my lake city was fine. I've also noticed that every federal case is short. They measure 1.735 to 1.745 and it's not that big of a deal for what I'm doing with it but it drives my inner OCD crazy as I'm trimming to 1.75.

Well as far as 223 goes I also toss any Federal into the trash. Was totally stoked when a friend showed up with a huge box of brass for me. I looked into the box after he left and it was all FC junk. Sad I had to toss it.

I don't fool with any brass with a crimp either.

For pistol stuff I have run into some tough seating primers with Herters in 45. Other than that I load it all unless it has a crimp.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have the rcbs swager combo that I use on my press but it's kind of a pain to use. It does make priming lake city brass really easy but I get tired of beating the crap out of my press to get it back out of the primer pocket. That and reaming is so much faster with the Lyman prep center.

The rcbs press mounted unit is good for small volume use and that's about it.
    I know it well, I have given mine away a few times already, I just gave it away again to someone here. And I asked him if he's not happy with it to pass it along to someone else. If you are following me its a pos in my opinion. Now I will say mine was a first issue and now they sell a #2 sweger.
    I'm just gonna say, with about 40 years of reloading behind me and cutting primer crimps out for longer than that, the Dillon or the RCBS bench mounted Swageing tool is the Shizzle.
    If I have any lots of brass that have tight pockets, I adjust the Dillon and run them through it. And problem solved. Easy peasy..
    All I can say is if what you are doing isn't working, its time to change how you do it. Or just toss all the brass that doesn't work for you.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well as far as 223 goes I also toss any Federal into the trash. Was totally stoked when a friend showed up with a huge box of brass for me. I looked into the box after he left and it was all FC junk. Sad I had to toss it.

I don't fool with any brass with a crimp either.

For pistol stuff I have run into some tough seating primers with Herters in 45. Other than that I load it all unless it has a crimp.

Please let me know the next time you have a huge box of Federal brass, I'll take it off your hands. My kid will process that Fed and Mil brass stuff toot sweet..

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

ANY brass you don't want, let me know, we can work a deal .....

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Had a bunch of mixed 9mm brass.

All sorts of stuff in the bucket. De-primed and tumbled all of it. Made it really shiny. Mostly Winchester and Federal brass.

Then, when I'm working through the bucket of clean brass, I notice about every fifth one has a headstamp I've never seen before.

Looks the same. Appears to be 9mm. But the headstamp is all wrong.

" NIM WW 6 " is on about 20 percent of it.

Not used to seeing a 6 on my 9 brass. So I set it aside. I'll probably sell it or trade it at some point. Didn't want to reload it. Might be dangerous.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Had a bunch of mixed 9mm brass.

All sorts of stuff in the bucket. De-primed and tumbled all of it. Made it really shiny. Mostly Winchester and Federal brass.

Then, when I'm working through the bucket of clean brass, I notice about every fifth one has a headstamp I've never seen before.

Looks the same. Appears to be 9mm. But the headstamp is all wrong.

" NIM WW 6 " is on about 20 percent of it.

Not used to seeing a 6 on my 9 brass. So I set it aside. I'll probably sell it or trade it at some point. Didn't want to reload it. Might be dangerous.

Lol yea it dangerous all right, the headstamp die was backwards or cut as a mirror image. When reversed it reads WIn 9mm..

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Please let me know the next time you have a huge box of Federal brass, I'll take it off your hands. My kid will process that Fed and Mil brass stuff toot sweet..

Wont be any more. I have moved and am no longer a member of that club. The police officer he was hooked up with retired. It was all police practice once fired.

I noticed most of the stuff for sale at shows is all FC also. Tons of it down at Knob Creek shoot as well.

I have heard it was short and folks having case head separation. I wouldn't load it. Not worth the risk.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I don't care for Blazer Brass for my .45 ACP. Its small primer pockets throw me off when priming the whole lot. I have a minor annoyance with US surplus with its pocket crimps being a little tough to seat the primer.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    As far as 5.56 is concerned, any Fiocchi brass goes in the trash. I've never had one case that had a centered primer flash hole. Had a couple of busted Decapping pins when I've had one.
    Also ANYTHING stamped Amerc. It defines junk.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Federal brass in .308 or .223. I would not give 5.00 for a truck load of it. I like LC for 556 and Winchester for 308.

Top Bottom