• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Federal brass in .308 or .223. I would not give 5.00 for a truck load of it. I like LC for 556 and Winchester for 308.

Thats funny. When I first started reloading for my .308, I bought some Win brass. It was garbage. Now I use once fired Hornady brass from TAP ammo, or once fired Federal brass from GMM ammo. Both from a sheriff friend.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just from personal experience I'm not really a fan of Remington or Federal brass. I've had to may cracked necks with the Federal and the primer pockets in the Remington seem to be very loose. Winchester is at the top of my favorite list of brass to use.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Thats funny. When I first started reloading for my .308, I bought some Win brass. It was garbage. Now I use once fired Hornady brass from TAP ammo, or once fired Federal brass from GMM ammo. Both from a sheriff friend.

If I am not mistaken Hornady uses Winchester brass with their head stamp.
    Federal brass can be reloaded for sure. Just really keep an eye out for case head separation. The stuff is soft.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Anything head stamped in Arabic. It's a crapshoot on berdan/boxer, I usually pitch it all in the recycle bin.

IK 06 stamped 5.56. Prvi 5.56, the flashholes are smaller and the decapping pin enlarges them to when you have to deburr the flash hole.

federal 09 9x19 NATO, every one has a crimp.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Federal brass can be reloaded for sure. Just really keep an eye out for case head separation. The stuff is soft.

I do, especially since I load pretty hot. The Hornady is nice brass, I didn't know it was Winchester. The Win brass I got had primer pockets that ran the gamut from having to mash primers in, to almost falling back out. Many of the flash holes were double punched. It was not a positive experience.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    A-merc the WORST..Scrap ONLY!!

I will load most any brass...I really do not care for several of the "Imports"--PPU-RWS-GECO-(some)S&B==The list goes on.

If I can not get Lake City, Winchester would probably be my Go-To brass in most cases.

I know that I'll get slapped, but SOME Federal is good also...Bill.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I will load most any brass...I really do not care for several of the "Imports"--PPU-RWS-GECO-(some)S&B==The list goes on.

If I can not get Lake City, Winchester would probably be my Go-To brass in most cases.

I know that I'll get slapped, but SOME Federal is good also...Bill.

I'm with you, I have never had a issue with Federal brass, Never.

It would break hearts here if some would go look and see what company's actually own other company's and what company's have run and do run plants for DOD and others. Its funny when you read this stuff sucks and this stuff is the bomb... And all that's different is the headstamp. Same plant, same line.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Federal=ATK.....

I'm with you, I have never had a issue with Federal brass, Never.

It would break hearts here if some would go look and see what company's actually own other company's and what company's have run and do run plants for DOD and others. Its funny when you read this stuff sucks and this stuff is the bomb... And all that's different is the headstamp. Same plant, same line.

Yep, can you say "ATK"??==CCI-BLAZER-SPEER-Most Federal--Same line-SAME stuff..

Love the guy who says they LOVE Speer, and HATE Federal...HA HA....Bill.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    When it comes to handgun brass, I can honestly say that I have just never looked. It's brass colored holds a 9mm projectile, it gets a primer and some powder, then goes into the box.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

So, this had me curious and I went and looked it up. Looks like hornady buys brass cups from somewhere and draws them into the cases for the specific cartridges. Now there is a rumor out there I didn't take time to confirm that Hornady Frontier cases were indeed made by Winchester. The headstamps on my stuff just says Hornady Match, though, and it is some nice brass. I would not have been too surprised though, if it had been true. There is a lot of private label business in the gun industry.

cool video: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/see-how-hornady-bullets-and-ammunition-are-made/28791/

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    When it comes to handgun brass, I can honestly say that I have just never looked. It's brass colored holds a 9mm projectile, it gets a primer and some powder, then goes into the box.

BOOM.... That's how I look at all brass.. When unknown brass enters our loading room, I all gets processed the same way.. Deprimed, sweged, sized,
    ( any rifle cartridge that can go into a bolt,autoloader or lever is sized with a small base die, match ammo not included ) anneal rifle brass, tumble, rifle brass and rimmed pistol are trimmed and then loaded. After loading my son runs it all through a cartridge case guage.. And then it gets boxed or put in GI cans..
    I will honestly say all these brass problems that some members have I have never had. If I was having case head separations or split necks, loose primer pockets, I would seriously relook at how I was loading.

JMHO here, not picking on anyone..

Top Bottom