• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I call dtone strike by Israel.

Sounds like it was no secret about the AN being stored there. Pretty simply to manipulate the relatively innocent-seeming conditions to get fireworks and flame in the vicinity, then make sure there was enough time to get away.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    This article says the blast was 1/5th the power of the Hiroshima bomb. Also, there is a drone photo of the destroyed silos and newly created bay.

Edit: Doing some quick research the Hiroshima bomb was around 15kt so that would put the Beirut explosion at about 3kt. According to Wiki the W54 suitcase nuke used by the United States was 1kt. So this explosion was three times more powerful than a suitcase nuke without the radiation of course.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12311215/beirut-explosion-huge-blast-lebanon-capital-hiroshima/

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    "Lebanon's Year From Hell" - Death Toll Tops 100, Over 4,000 Injured After Beirut Explosion

Some amazing pictures at the link. The blast was so big it dug a hole in the ground that has been filled in with water and created a small new bay in the port.

Looks like I was wrong. One of the pictures from the article above. I'm amazed the grain elevator structure exists at all.

ksCEMeL.jpg

Before the blast. That is some crater considering the blast was minimally contained.

attachment.php

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If the explosion hadn't been on so much video, I'd say that crater looked like an impact....

But there's all that video.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think you have to mix the ammonium nitrate with a fuel to get an explosion like that and mix it pretty well. Just sitting in bags, it's the oxidizer in this reaction although it can decompose on it's own at a high enough temperature. I'm no judge of blasts, so it's hard to say if decomposition caused this or if somebody soaked the material down with diesel fuel before starting a fire and that would have to be a fair amount of fuel oil. Be interesting to see if any tanker trailers were in the area on a surviving camera.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Maybe the grain silos' sacrificial closest wall saved some lives in town.

Top Bottom