Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    If a company wishes to refuse service to anyone for any reason they should have that right. I think discriminating against gay people is a bad business decision as they generally have a greater disposable income compared to their heterosexual counter parts. The gay community is also organized, so anyone who openly refuses them serve will face a backlash form both gay and segments of the straight community. Still, If a business made that choice, I wouldn't create a law which forces the business to provide the service.

It frustrated me that Indiana made the decision to do this, especially since I can't buy vodka on Sundays... which offends my personal sensibilities to no end.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Grenada, MS clerk resigns due to her inability to do her job. She says her beliefs will keep her from doing what she was elected to do, so she's resigning. This, unlike the petulance being displayed in other clerks offices, is the proper response. If you cannot do your job, for whatever reason, then quit and let someone take your place that can do the job.

Same-sex marriage leads Grenada Circuit Clerk to resign | WREG.com

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have a hard time criticizing most any negative responses to an overbearing federal government taking a steaming dump on the rights of states and localities.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Kimmel did a spot on it, asking kids what they think of it.

[video=youtube;jiFDY6N33aw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFDY6N33aw[/video]

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Your analogy doesn't go far enough. In a proper analogy you know whether I'm going to choose to get off the tracks ahead of time.

You're right, that was a lousy analogy, lol. That's what happens when you try to do three things at once. When I get some free time I'll try to do a better job for you. Sorry about that.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So? If they're all consenting adults what's the problem? The bible is rife with polygamy, so it is biblically sound. It is currently illegal in Montana, so I don't see them getting one anytime soon. Be nice to be proved wrong, though.

Consenting adults should be free to enter into any marriage they wish. Why should other people get to stop them?

Nah, it doesn't affect me at all. Same with the gay marriage thing. But like you said, it's currently illegal. I'm just thinking it'll probably get a case and possibly SCOTUS affirming that it is, now, legal.

Not a lot of countries allow it. It'll be interesting to see the US go that route before what I would consider to be more "progressive" places.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    In most cultures in history, and in many cultures today, polygamy is normal, it was seen as normal in the bible. The disdain for it is a very new idea. So if you really want to support traditional marriage then you have to support polygamy.

Personally it's not my thing, but I don't bother with trying to legally impose my will on others.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In most cultures in history, and in many cultures today, polygamy is normal, it was seen as normal in the bible. The disdain for it is a very new idea. So if you really want to support traditional marriage then you have to support polygamy.

Personally it's not my thing, but I don't bother with trying to legally impose my will on others.

Black: Legal and practiced
    Gray: Ambiguous
    Light blue: Generally illegal
    Blue: Fully outlawed.

Not that common. That's why I think it'd be real interesting if this becomes a case, and the US legalizes it before other "progressive" nations.

Legality_of_polygamy.png

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Black: Legal and practiced
    Gray: Ambiguous
    Light blue: Generally illegal
    Blue: Fully outlawed.

Not that common. That's why I think it'd be real interesting if this becomes a case, and the US legalizes it before other "progressive" nations.

Legality_of_polygamy.png

I don't see how the Supremes could hold gay marriage legal under strict scrutiny but not hold polygamy legal under the same standard. The only thing that was preventing marriage from busting open to everyone was the traditional man/woman marriage and child rearing. Once that historical context and child rearing has busted open, I don't see a "legal argument" against polygamy using the same Sup. Ct. opinion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom