Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    mrjarrell said:
    Apparently, you care enough to cast aspersions on an article you disagree with, even though you now admit that they might just be right.

I admitted no such thing. Did you miss the 'who cares' part?

I don't care how many contracts the government has to enforce. That is not how we measure the size of a government. Contract enforcement is a legitimate purpose of government.

Deciding the definition of 'marriage' and making sure nobody's feelings are hurt while doing so is not a legitimate purpose of government.

motlyx1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2015
    greenfield
    i do not force my christian beleifs on anyone and do not beleive theUSSC has a right to force others on me. i have the right to refuse or except.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    :facepalm: Wait a minute. This is just clickbait. It's not a law. It's an employment policy. If you're an employee of the government, don't be surprised that their employment policies restrict your speech. They're not telling pastors what they're allowed to believe or even preach IN THEIR OWN CHURCH! They're telling them what they can't say on the job as a counselor employed by them. No one is going to jail for violating it. They're just dismissed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :facepalm: Wait a minute. This is just clickbait. It's not a law. It's an employment policy. If you're an employee of the government, don't be surprised that their employment policies restrict your speech. They're not telling pastors what they're allowed to believe or even preach IN THEIR OWN CHURCH! They're telling them what they can't say on the job as a counselor employed by them. No one is going to jail for violating it. They're just dismissed.

If you're hiring pastors to council people seeking help, ruling this one thing off limits to the type of council they are likely have a deeply held conviction on is political correctness running amok. Apparently it's ok to do what they're inclined to do regarding other issues, but not this one? Why are you hiring pastors if you want them to follow government approved scripts?

(Unless they're Presbytarian or episcopalian, then there's probably not even an issue--says a guy raised in a Presbytarian family).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you're hiring pastors to council people seeking help, ruling this one thing off limits to the type of council they are likely have a deeply held conviction on is political correctness running amok. Apparently it's ok to do what they're inclined to do regarding other issues, but not this one? Why are you hiring pastors if you want them to follow government approved scripts?

(Unless they're Presbytarian or episcopalian, then there's probably not even an issue--says a guy raised in a Presbytarian family).

If you're a pastor and you want to freely counsel within your beliefs, why would you seek employment with the government? This probably isn't the only area where you're limited on what you can say.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you're a pastor and you want to freely counsel within your beliefs, why would you seek employment with the government? This probably isn't the only area where you're limited on what you can say.

Maybe. But to deny this one issue with which, by many reports people struggle with, might have a biblical/spiritual solution to some, seems to be tantamount to the government withholding a treatment only because some find it icky.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe. But to deny this one issue with which, by many reports people struggle with, might have a biblical/spiritual solution to some, seems to be tantamount to the government withholding a treatment only because some find it icky.

My guess is that the state of Kentucky doesn't see that as a valid treatment, which it gets to decide. But none of that changes the fact that the article is pure clickbait designed to get Christians enraged at the new law banning preachers from preaching God's truth.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My guess is that the state of Kentucky doesn't see that as a valid treatment, which it gets to decide. But none of that changes the fact that the article is pure clickbait designed to get Christians enraged at the new law banning preachers from preaching God's truth.

Close. Based on my observations on how things have evolved, the people running the deal follow the PC stance that no treatment is necessary and is offensive to even suggest. Funny though they can church it up with other struggles people may having though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

As I understood it, this isn't a matter of restricting hired chaplains but rather pastors who are engaged in jail ministry in which their only connection with the government is having the door unlocked so they can walk in the building. At least in Indiana, it is amazing how, well, restrictive this can get, usually with procedural issues rather than censorship, but being picky about people who are not on the payroll can get pretty burdensome.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Ok, ok, ok as much as I love watching straight people debate both sides of the gay marriage issue & wondering when the next holocaust is going to happen. But before we start throwing Christians to the lions & putting conservatives into " relocation camps". On this topic I think I'm going to be polite as ask permission to comment on some of this and field questions on this subject. If the posters on this thread are willing to listen to an often ostracized, and dismissed by the gay community " gay guy" with libertarian leanings that sides more with republicans than democrats. Then I'll post from what I'm going to call a unique perspective. If not interested I'll remain silent.....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ok, ok, ok as much as I love watching straight people debate both sides of the gay marriage issue & wondering when the next holocaust is going to happen. But before we start throwing Christians to the lions & putting conservatives into " relocation camps". On this topic I think I'm going to be polite as ask permission to comment on some of this and field questions on this subject. If the posters on this thread are willing to listen to an often ostracized, and dismissed by the gay community " gay guy" with libertarian leanings that sides more with republicans than democrats. Then I'll post from what I'm going to call a unique perspective. If not interested I'll remain silent.....

I can speak only for myself, but I am a firm believer in the free expression of thought welcome the sharing of such a perspective, compatibility or incompatibility with my own thoughts notwithstanding.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Welcome to the conversation! Yes, please contribute. Maybe I'll start following it again?

Can we keep the gay part without the libertarian?
    Just kidding...
    ...well maybe.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm all ears bro. Everyone should have a voice here.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Ok then well to start I'm not a big fan of gay marriage, when asked why I usually state that straight people need to keep that screwed up institution to themselves. And I really do feel for the ordained couple trying to run a business in I think Idaho where the city is trying to force them to perform gay weddings. I find that abhorrent and a direct affront to their personal rights. The USSC' decision to legalize gay marriage was directly aimed at federal and local government to insure equal protection under the law and not to be applied to individuals or businesses. Goverment entities must see every individual equaly with put exception individuals, bussinesses organizations should be allowed to exercise their conscience. And if it happened here in Indiana I know a small but vocal group of us queers that would stand with the business owner in their defense whether they wanted help from a bunch of homos or not, which I sure would make good liberal news headlines. I'll also quote another of my posts " and as far as in Nevada the gay pride flag should not be flown over any publicly owned building in any state, it's a personal symbol with personal meaning to a select group and not a symbol of all the people of the state that the building and it's purpose represent." But I don't think the majority of people even understand the meaning behind the rainbow flag, just saying. I grew up spending my summers on my grandparents farm bailing hay, running tractors and combines, playing in hay lofts, hiking , camping ,fishing, hunting, I think I am more of a truer representation of some one gay in middle America than any limp wristed, girly acting homo from California. To end this part I am having a bumper sticker made at our local mall of a pic I saw online that said " I'm proud to be an american, but ashamed of my government. " and I think more and more Americans are beginning to feel that way.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ok then well to start I'm not a big fan of gay marriage, when asked why I usually state that straight people need to keep that screwed up institution to themselves. And I really do feel for the ordained couple trying to run a business in I think Idaho where the city is trying to force them to perform gay weddings. I find that abhorrent and a direct affront to their personal rights. The USSC' decision to legalize gay marriage was directly aimed at federal and local government and not to be applied to individuals or businesses. And if it happened here in Indiana I know a small but vocal group of us queers that would stand with the business owner in their defense, which I sure would make good liberal news headlines. I'll also quote another of my posts " and as far as in Nevada the gay pride flag should not be flown over any publicly owned building in any state, it's a personal symbol with personal meaning to a select group and not a symbol of all the people of the state that the building and it's purpose represent." But I don't think the majority of people even understand the meaning behind the rainbow flag, just saying. I grew up spending my summers on my grandparents farm bailing hay, running tractors and combines, playing in hay lofts, hiking , camping ,fishing, hunting, I think I am more of a truer representation of some one gay in middle America than any limp wristed, girly acting homo from California. To end this part I am having a bumper sticker made at our local mall of a pic I saw online that said " I'm proud to be an american, but ashamed of my government. " and I think more and more Americans are beginning to feel that way.

We appear to agree that everyone has the right to chart their own course and beliefs, the right to disagree with the choices and beliefs of others, but NOT the right to impose one's idea of right and proper on others aside from prohibiting acts which cause tangible harm.

As a reasonably conservative Christian, I believe homosexuality to be a sin. That doesn't mean that I am going to treat you like a leper. If I fail to persuade others to reach the same conclusions of their own accord without browbeating or legislating, I have failed as an example. My primary objection to gay marriage is a more practical one than a theological one. I believe that anyone should have the right to contractually share their worldly rights, privileges, and responsibilities. This is a phenomenon new to history and should be treated as such rather than redefining 'marriage' into something it never was. The big objection *drumroll* is that I find it inherently dangerous to allow government to redefine language, especially considering the mischief already done with the redefinition of the words 'reasonable', 'regulate', 'infringe', and the phrase 'general welfare'. I am sure I could come up with a few more, but this is what comes to mind. Given enough time, I am sure that Constitution-twisters could redefine the contents into saying whatever they want it to say even more than they already do.

Perhaps the most significant point you bring up is that you do not allow one aspect of your life to define you. As a result, from what you have said, you are willing to accept me as I am even if you may disagree with some of my positions and I am happy to do likewise.

Now, time to finish my drive-by of the new posts, feed the critters, and get busy! Have a great day!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ok then well to start I'm not a big fan of gay marriage, when asked why I usually state that straight people need to keep that screwed up institution to themselves. And I really do feel for the ordained couple trying to run a business in I think Idaho where the city is trying to force them to perform gay weddings. I find that abhorrent and a direct affront to their personal rights. The USSC' decision to legalize gay marriage was directly aimed at federal and local government to insure equal protection under the law and not to be applied to individuals or businesses. Goverment entities must see every individual equaly with put exception individuals, bussinesses organizations should be allowed to exercise their conscience. And if it happened here in Indiana I know a small but vocal group of us queers that would stand with the business owner in their defense whether they wanted help from a bunch of homos or not, which I sure would make good liberal news headlines. I'll also quote another of my posts " and as far as in Nevada the gay pride flag should not be flown over any publicly owned building in any state, it's a personal symbol with personal meaning to a select group and not a symbol of all the people of the state that the building and it's purpose represent." But I don't think the majority of people even understand the meaning behind the rainbow flag, just saying. I grew up spending my summers on my grandparents farm bailing hay, running tractors and combines, playing in hay lofts, hiking , camping ,fishing, hunting, I think I am more of a truer representation of some one gay in middle America than any limp wristed, girly acting homo from California. To end this part I am having a bumper sticker made at our local mall of a pic I saw online that said " I'm proud to be an american, but ashamed of my government. " and I think more and more Americans are beginning to feel that way.

You are headed to 50 quality posts, bravo!

Top Bottom