• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Well considering that Australia has a gun related homicide rate of .11 per 100,000 people and the US has 2.83 per 100,000, that argument will fall on deaf ears over there. There is little support over there to change the gun laws. Why do these incidents always come to this discussion? It's like you are saying," If you allow the Australians to own guns this would not have happened." It's a significantly oversimplified argument. Giving the unwilling a gun will not automatically turn sheep into sheep dogs. Overcoming anti-gun culture takes more than the introduction of guns into it. We have this issue here in the US and we are awash in guns. It's not a hardware problem. A true sheepdog is never "unarmed" regardless of availability of guns. Look at Flight 93, a plane of "unarmed" sheepdogs. Also, being armed in a hostage situation does not automatically mean you can use it. There are too many factors involved that makes a simple statement like that meaningless.

Your points are valid, but so is the point of gun control.

How often do you see something like this, or any lone person committing violence on a large number of people, in a US location where citizens are allowed to carry?

Predators go after prey. A group of people in an upscale coffeehouse in a city, in a locality where no lawful citizen can carry, are likely "prey" to a guy like this.

Or let's make a more specific analogy. Would the dude try this in a cafe in rural America? If he did, would the news report likely look different?

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dammit....

BREAKING NEWS: REPORTS OF 2 KILLED IN SYDNEY SIEGE. 7 NEWS

RT @cnnbrk: 2 dead, 3 in serious condition after the #SydneySiege, Australia's ABC reports
    cnn.it/1ITi3ON

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's the biggest threat to us in the US from ISIS. They inspire others to act. I think ISIS is a little busy with their current war, but their influence can cross any border.

What is more dangerous and incites more terror, a discrete, organized force with a central command structure operating under military-style control or, for the sake of argument, over a billion people sharing a common philosophy that involves the righteousness of killing unbelievers, many of whom not only share this belief, but want nothing more than to carry it out , independently and without orders or control from anyone?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    What is more dangerous and incites more terror, a discrete, organized force with a central command structure operating under military-style control or, for the sake of argument, over a billion people sharing a common philosophy that involves the righteousness of killing unbelievers, many of whom not only share this belief, but want nothing more than to carry it out , independently and without orders or control from anyone?

:popcorn:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They're definitely saying he's dead. Curious who else was killed, and how...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873855/Gunman-takes-hostages-cafe-Sydney.html

BBC has a profile of him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-30484419?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Here's a statement that he posted online yesterday.

Not embedding it, as is does contain religious material. If you choose to read the religious material that was posted in this short statement, you can click this link to access the picture.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B46JSCTCQAAjo-d.png

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    T.......Here's a statement that he posted online yesterday..........

Always the same "justification"

wanking.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In other words - people.

I will agree that the killing of those who do not agree is not exclusive to one group. I reject that it is universal or endorsed in any fashion, by the vast, overwhelming, majority of the adherents of two of the world's other large philosophical systems.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I will agree that the killing of those who do not agree is not exclusive to one group. I reject that it is universal or endorsed in any fashion, by the vast, overwhelming, majority of the adherents of two of the world's other large philosophical systems.

I guess I should say that my intention isn't to denigrate; but mostly just to try to really look at and think about it.

Yeah, there are big differences in the practiced or publicly spoken endorsement/acceptability, but It's hard to tell if there really is a big difference in the hearts and minds of people. That's because none of us seem to be totally honest in all things, especially controversial things. And I'm mostly convinced that the biggest things that separate people from each other has more to do with circumstances and perspective.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Wow, over a billion people with the same philosophy. BTW, did you personally interview all one billion or was this a random survey with proper statistical controls?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow, over a billion people with the same philosophy. BTW, did you personally interview all one billion or was this a random survey with proper statistical controls?

[edited to stay wide of the rules...but quoted before the edit anyway]

No. I did not. At this point, I'll just quote George Patton (or at least George C. Scott) and let anyone they want draw a parallel if they can:

"Rommel, you magnificent b*****d, I read your book!"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom