• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not quite sure what you'd ban in Japan, you already can't have much of anything and haven't since WWII. However their suicide rate seems to keep climbing. They don't do it with guns typically, but rope and gravity seem to be their top two methods.

My only point is to measure the effectiveness of anything all things must be considered. To state Australia's gun related homicide rate fell after the ban sounds great, but so did ours with no ban and at nearly the exact same rate.

I'll take personal freedom and responsibility for my own safety. Apparently most Americans agree with me.

Suicide, imo, isn't an issue concerning gun bans. I think ones purposeful attempt to harm another is more legitimate. For the individual, the firearm is the most efficient way to dispatch someone... easily, quickly, and without a mess. A ban, while distasteful to us, imo probably works in a number of places. Even if the assaults stay on par with previous years, some would say that injury is preferable to loss of life.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From the Beeb:
    Two women suffered non-life threatening injuries as did a policeman who had been hit in the face by pellets.

So, unless the Aussies for some reason resorted to shotguns or pellet-loaded flash-bangs, it sounds like dirtbag got off at least 1 shot.

Of course, this is early reporting. Officer might've been hit with other debris, which is more common.

ETA:
    Latest BBC updates include:
    Australia's 2EU Radio reporter Leonie Ryan tells the BBC that - according to "well-placed police sources" - the decision to storm the cafe "was completely unplanned". She says: "We're hearing reports that Man Haron Monis actually fired the first shots. Police made the decision to storm into the cafe after hearing gunfire."

-------------------

New South Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione tells the news conference: "We have a male police officer who has been injured as a result of a gunshot wound to the face. I have talked to that officer. He is in good condition. He is currently being assessed and will be remaining in hospital for some time. Not too long, we hope, but he is well and grateful to be alive, let me assure you."

Oh, and a politician said:
    "In the past 24 hours this city has been shaken by a tragedy that none of us could have ever imagined," New South Wales Premier Mike Baird said at the start of the police news conference in Sydney.

Well... I don't know that the whole "none of us could have ever imagined" is quite true. In fact, if their LEOs hadn't "imagined" a scenario like this, I'd make sure someone was fired.

This kind of thing will become more frequent.

ETA2:
    Injured police officer has been released from RNS Hospital. Will have to come back at a later date for surgery on cut to his hand @9NewsSyd

Dude got a face full of pellets, but will require surgery on a cut to his hand? Dude must be uglier than sin. :D

(J/K of course. Fantastic news that his injuries were not more severe.)

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright, this is so bad it's hilarious.

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE

B47Hkv7CcAAS-X0.jpg:large

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Welp, that's it then. All conversation on this event must cease. THe perp invoked the religious exemption.

Well, we're not sure. The PM said it "MIGHT" have been politically motivated.
    It could have been a robbery, possible workplace violence.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    This incident seems to have a common thread with many other incidents in history and around the contemporary world, but I just can't place my finger on it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, we're not sure. The PM said it "MIGHT" have been politically motivated.
    It could have been a robbery, possible workplace violence.

Yes, but there is little doubt about the religious affiliations of the perp. And we can in no way discuss the possibility that those affiliations may or may not have been a part of his decision-making paradigm.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Suicide, imo, isn't an issue concerning gun bans. I think ones purposeful attempt to harm another is more legitimate. For the individual, the firearm is the most efficient way to dispatch someone... easily, quickly, and without a mess. A ban, while distasteful to us, imo probably works in a number of places. Even if the assaults stay on par with previous years, some would say that injury is preferable to loss of life.

We will have to agree to disagree. Guns are by no means "without a mess" and definitely not the only quick and easy way to dispatch someone. From a distance, perhaps, but an automobile works really good. Hammers are popular in ban areas (as we saw earlier this year in NYC and they're used frequently in Japan). Poison is way less messy and easy to obtain from any hardware store and can be administered with a hypodermic.

You are right about suicide, but my point is suicide is almost always included in gun related deaths statistics by the "other side", and you're right, it shouldn't be. However, banning guns does not drop the suicide rate as I pointed out in Japan. The Japanese suicide rate continues to rise in a gun free zone.

I still vote freedom and a way to protect myself and my family.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Japanese culture, as it pertains to suicide, is really not comparable to us, or anyone else for that matter. It's pretty unique.

Well maybe I missed the point, but I thought the point Kutnup originally entered was a culture argument. Bans work in Japan because of culture differences. My point - ok, but not the suicide rate. You are correct about suicide and the Japanese culture, it's more accepted as honorable than it is here or most places.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sydney Siege: 18 Warning Calls Before Attack

Australia's Prime Minister admits "the system let us down" as the government releases the first report into the Sydney siege: A national security hotline received 18 calls about the self-styled cleric Man Haron Monis just days before he took 18 people hostage at a cafe in Sydney.

If they know there were 18 warning calls, the system is fine. The PEOPLE who analyze intelligence (and there seems to be a lot of it) flat out blew this one.

Top Bottom