• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Clarification - TWO OTHER STUDENTS were pat down and had firearms on them, but did not take part in the shooting. They just HAD them.

****ing hell. That solves the multiple shooter confusion, but what the ****. How bad of an area was this in.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Clarification - TWO OTHER STUDENTS were pat down and had firearms on them, but did not take part in the shooting. They just HAD them.

****ing hell. That solves the multiple shooter confusion, but what the ****. How bad of an area was this in.

I wonder why the students had them? Gang members?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From Wiki:
    In October 2007, the results of a Johns Hopkins University study showed Reynolds to be a "dropout factory" meaning less than 60% of students complete their senior year. Former principal Kevin Kannier said that a key factor in Reynolds' dropout rate was due to the school's credit requirement for graduation: 27, the largest in the state of Oregon.

In 2008, 64% of the school's seniors received their high school diploma. Of 611 students, 388 graduated, 130 dropped out, 39 received a modified diploma, and 54 are still in high school.

In 2009, there were nearly 900 freshmen in the incoming class, a record for the school. This was combined with a 25% layoff of teachers, over 40 teachers at the school. This caused class sizes to increase dramatically.

More on Troutdale:
    Population density: 2,687.2/sq mi

2000 Census: The median income for a household in the city was $56,593, and the median income for a family was $62,203.

In terms of population density, Indianapolis has 2,273/sq mi.; Lawrence has 2,285.2/sq mi.; Gary has 1,610.1/sq mi.

Edit:
    Wow, digging a little deeper reveals some of the more complicated issues of running urban cities/towns:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/05/overcoming_objections_troutdal.html

Troutdale looks like they were trying to close their own police force in favor of contracting with the county sheriff.

Edit 2:

Interesting. This link:
    http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Troutdale-Oregon.html
    Suggests that they've run somewhat below the average in crime statistics. Honestly, I'd compare it with a Lawrence or "urban-suburb" type area.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Does this seem like an over-reaction to anyone else? 100+ cops?
    Well, I'm not one to harp on that kind of thing. Hard to know how big the perimeter of the school was. I think of Carmel High School, or the westside school campus, and I'm pretty sure 100 officers wouldn't nearly be enough.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I could easily see 100 plus cops responding to a confirmed school shooting.

Agreed. I believe the police see a need in sending everything and everyone to an active shooter event. Not only to aid in resolving the conflict, or in the control of the massive influx of parents/reporters/etc. but to squash any criticism that might arise that they could have done more. Especially since all these event are now "world wide breaking news"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not to trivialize the victim's death, but they're calling this a "mass shooting"? Really? Two people shot and killed, but one of those was the shooter. Since when is 1 person (I refuse to count the shooter as a victim) a "mass"? Same with Vegas. 3 people killed (again, I don't count shooters as victims) and it's a "mass shooting"! :runaway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not to trivialize the victim's death, but they're calling this a "mass shooting"? Really? Two people shot and killed, but one of those was the shooter. Since when is 1 person (I refuse to count the shooter as a victim) a "mass"? Same with Vegas. 3 people killed (again, I don't count shooters as victims) and it's a "mass shooting"! :runaway:

Makes better headlines. Today was a murder suicide. But since it happened at a high school it is now a "school shooting".

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Latest headline is this is "The 74th school shooting since Sandy Hook" and still no change! Obama saying we need to change how these people get weapons.....he still don't get it that schools need to be armed, end of story.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Latest headline is this is "The 74th school shooting since Sandy Hook" and still no change! Obama saying we need to change how these people get weapons.....he still don't get it that schools need to be armed, end of story.

In that BS article going around, they're counting suicides and colleges.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    74th "school shooting" since Sandy Hook, and yet, didn't Chicago just break 100 homicides for just this year so far? Yes, do tell us how stricter laws prevent these shootings Mr. President.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I heard Obama chime in on the radio on my drive home this evening:

"People ask me what I’m proudest of and what are my biggest frustrations as president. My biggest frustration is that this society hasn’t been willing to take some basic steps to keep guns out of the hands of people who can do damage. We’re the only developed country where this happens. And it happens weekly. Our levels of gun violence are off the charts."

Obama, you are a liar. You don't want to take the guns away from people who do damage, you want to take the guns away from all Americans, once and for all. But guns have been in the hands of American citizens since America's inception, and for very good reasons, reasons like yourself. Perhaps Mr President we need to look at what laws the Federal government has passed in recent decades that have radically changed our culture and incline us to look at human life as so much trash to toss in the garbage at will. Let's take a serious look at what is different now, and what is different isn't "guns". Until you are willing to take some iota of responsibility for the mass murder of Americans with your pen and your legislation, I am not very willing to hear you blame the problem on my guns.

Top Bottom