• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I saw this done on one of the outdoor channels, but it was to see which rifle caliber would penetrate the fastest. I can't find anything on YouTube. I think you've given Lovemywoods a new review to consider. :D

I have a stack of probably 300 or more red bricks in the drive way. Come get em!!!!

If Lovemywoods would be down, I would swing by Hamsterstyles house and pick up the bricks, head down and do some testing!! I have the week of Aril 4th off:D

We could test .22 subs, .22 standard .22 cci minimags, .223 from 16" barrel and whatever else they have. 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, .40 FMJ, .40 JHP, 12 guage bird shot, slugs, and 00 buck.:ar15:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    223 has trouble with drywall walls I think bricks going to be ok

In a test I did last summer with INGO's techres, we saw the .223 go through 5 sheets of drywall, a 1.5" board, and 5 more sheets of drywall with no tumbling or stopping.

See the test posted at:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/96688-aar_ingo_box_of_truth_june_19_2010_a.html

Posting #25 has the tabular data for all the calibers that were tested.
    On that day, the .223 didn't seem to have any problems at all.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If Lovemywoods would be down, I would swing by Hamsterstyles house and pick up the bricks, head down and do some testing!! I have the week of Aril 4th off:D

We could test .22 subs, .22 standard .22 cci minimags, .223 from 16" barrel and whatever else they have. 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, .40 FMJ, .40 JHP, 12 guage bird shot, slugs, and 00 buck.:ar15:

This is interesting! I had thought of testing brick in the past, but didn't take the next step to find materials.

Colt45er, if you're willing to help with some of the prep and shooting, I can provide the venue and clean-up of the busted bricks.

One thought; If we just stacked the bricks on top of one another without mortar, would that adequately simulate a real wall? A plywood board behind the stack could help stabilize them. Can we assume that the mortar would be harder than the bricks themselves?

Let's discuss more.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Sideways? how is that not trouble penetrating? Explain please.

XM-193 bullet construction is such that, at proper velocity, it will tumble when encountering a medium denser than air, such as human tissue. The base is heavier than the nose. It is designed this way on purpose, because a bullet that tumbles in the human body will cause far greater damage than one that simply pokes a .223 caliber hole all the way through.

The test I linked to showed the 5.56 penetrating 12 sheets of drywall, over half of them AFTER the bullet turned sideways. This shows that even after a drastic increase in surface area vs. the medium to be penetrated, the 5.56 STILL busts through without any problems. Which is easier to push through a wall, a pencil with the point first, or the same pencil turned sideways? The only thing that would have indicated that the round was having "trouble" penetrating would be a lack of penetration, which is clearly not the case here.

The typical 5.56 round out of a 16" AR is generating over 1000 ft. lbs. of energy, about as much or a little more than a .44 magnum at the muzzle. I'm not quite sure how one arrives at the conclusion that such a round will have "trouble" penetrating something like drywall, unless you are talking a bullet that is designed to fragment against drywall, like a specialty urban bullet.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This is interesting! I had thought of testing brick in the past, but didn't take the next step to find materials.

Colt45er, if you're willing to help with some of the prep and shooting, I can provide the venue and clean-up of the busted bricks.

One thought; If we just stacked the bricks on top of one another without mortar, would that adequately simulate a real wall? A plywood board behind the stack could help stabilize them. Can we assume that the mortar would be harder than the bricks themselves?

Let's discuss more.

I would think using mortar, AND building a wall with drywall would make it more realistic. Surely the mortar alone would make it stronger than without.

I'd also be curious how pistol rounds would affect it too.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot my 30-06 through bricks before no problem. Now it does matter on are they red bricks, cinder blocks and if there is any insulation/drywall after it, as this call all lead to it. Now the things that will penetrate are more high powered rounds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You guys must be shooting from pretty close. When I lived in Dallas I was about 400 yards as the crow flies from a drug House. I have dented 9mm projectiles as well as a 7.62 X 39 round that was shot at my brick apartment building. They left shallow pock marks about the diameter of a ping pong ball in the tan brick and the projectiles FMJ projectiles fell to the sidewalk. I am sure a 30-06 would have retained more downrange energy. Light bullets get weak a lot sooner than heavy ones.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was playing around with my 8mm mauser an had some AP rounds that went through both sides of a half inch thick steel pipe( I know it dont really count with this thread, but still cool none the less,lol) But used just some partison 8mm ammo and it still went completly through the front and dented the back of the pipe. This was done at 75yrds

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The bricks may be spoken for but lmk if you want some and I will definitely save some for testing purposes. How many do you think well need for accurate testing?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Standard bricks are 8 x 4 x 2.25 inches. If I built two stacks about three feet tall each, it would take about 32 bricks. (Fewer if I used mortar.) This may be a low estimate for the amount I need to build depending on how many types of caliber and ammo constructions we test.

With that said, 35-50 bricks should be enough.

Do you have that number of bricks available?

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    My 9x18mm round can penetrate a 55 gallon steel barrel and exit it at 20 yards. Thats a 95gr JHP factory round. Just saying.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    f1635959.jpg

Bam!!! 50 bricks set aside for the lovemywoods testing facility. If somebody wants to pick them up for testing that is fine, if not I could probably meet esrice with them because I think I remember him saying he works nearby my house. when would said testing take place and if I'm available, could I score a seat to watch the destruction?

Top Bottom