• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Bam!!! 50 bricks set aside for the lovemywoods testing facility. If somebody wants to pick them up for testing that is fine, if not I could probably meet esrice with them because I think I remember him saying he works nearby my house. when would said testing take place and if I'm available, could I score a seat to watch the destruction?

Since colt45er started me on this path of destruction, I need to find out when he's shipping out. (It might accelerate the test schedule.)

esrice, can you go ahead and pick up the bricks for now? I'll get them the next time I see you.

HamsterStyle, can't make any promises right now, but if timing works out, it would be fun to have you along for the demolition!

LMW

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Since colt45er started me on this path of destruction, I need to find out when he's shipping out. (It might accelerate the test schedule.)

esrice, can you go ahead and pick up the bricks for now? I'll get them the next time I see you.

HamsterStyle, can't make any promises right now, but if timing works out, it would be fun to have you along for the demolition!

LMW
    \

My ship date is 4/19. As I said I have pretty much that whole week before off. I would be more than willing to bring them down, etc however if I do that I don't know how long the morter will take to set, etc and I am not sure if I could make two separate trips down.

Past that, I can help with the test, logging data, and help with cleanup. Ill leave the spredsheat to you :)

Also, bricks are being provided, I can help with the cost of any other materials.

SO I guess the next question will be....Can Esrice get the bricks to you beforehand, and do you have the time to set this up?

If not, do we want to attempt a 1 day test where we just shoot bricks, not in a wall?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I can get the bricks to esrice anytime pretty much if he can meet up. I live about 5 minutes from countyline and 65.

I'll have esrice try to get the bricks in the near future. That will give me some time to get the test wall(s) created.

My ship date is 4/19. As I said I have pretty much that whole week before off. I would be more than willing to bring them down, etc however if I do that I don't know how long the morter will take to set, etc and I am not sure if I could make two separate trips down.

Past that, I can help with the test, logging data, and help with cleanup. Ill leave the spredsheat to you :)

Also, bricks are being provided, I can help with the cost of any other materials.

SO I guess the next question will be....Can Esrice get the bricks to you beforehand, and do you have the time to set this up?

If not, do we want to attempt a 1 day test where we just shoot bricks, not in a wall?

Colt45er, looks like we will have some time. Send me a PM with your availabilities between April 9 and 16. I'm guessing we'll need about 2 hours if I have the materials at the range. If you want to do any other shooting or sighting-in, add some time for that.

Hamsterstyle and lovemachine46147, send me your available times also. It's no guarantee we can all get together, but let's take a look. I live an hour south of Indianapolis, so factor that in to your schedules. (The lovemachine has been here.....)

My preference is to slap some mortar around the bricks and have them in a frame with plywood backing to simulate an exterior wall. Once I have the bricks, I can put something together and give it some time to set up.

In the meantime, I need to think through some of the details so we run the test in a way to assure that the results are meaningful.

This will be fun!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I know my VZ 2008 in 7.62x39 will obliterate a cinder block at 25 yd no problem. I have a bunch of red bricks I have been meaning to shoot at. I will do so some time, and do a write up on it.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I'll have esrice try to get the bricks in the near future. That will give me some time to get the test wall(s) created.

Colt45er, looks like we will have some time. Send me a PM with your availabilities between April 9 and 16. I'm guessing we'll need about 2 hours if I have the materials at the range. If you want to do any other shooting or sighting-in, add some time for that.

Hamsterstyle and lovemachine46147, send me your available times also. It's no guarantee we can all get together, but let's take a look. I live an hour south of Indianapolis, so factor that in to your schedules. (The lovemachine has been here.....)

My preference is to slap some mortar around the bricks and have them in a frame with plywood backing to simulate an exterior wall. Once I have the bricks, I can put something together and give it some time to set up.

In the meantime, I need to think through some of the details so we run the test in a way to assure that the results are meaningful.

This will be fun!

I just PM'd my avail to you lovemywoods.

Some thoughts of mine...

We should shoot at different distances for pistol vs. rifle rounds.
    We can limit the test to the most popular calibers.
    I’m thinking .22, .223, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40, .45, 12 ga birdshot, slugs, 00buck.

Also, I think it might be interesting if we could set up a piece of plywood or dry wall a few feet behind the bricks to show deflection.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

We should shoot at different distances for pistol vs. rifle rounds.

Regardless of pistol or rifle, are we trying to simulate bullets leaving a brick house, or entering a brick house? Because those distances could be very different.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm thinking it should be leaving. I think the chances of having to fire inside the house would be greater than firing into the house.

Distances probably should be the distance you'd fire in a self defense pistol/rifle class. Maybe?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Regardless of pistol or rifle, are we trying to simulate bullets leaving a brick house, or entering a brick house? Because those distances could be very different.
    I guess we could do leaving since then we could show "if you shot from inside your house and missed"

I'm thinking it should be leaving. I think the chances of having to fire inside the house would be greater than firing into the house.

Distances probably should be the distance you'd fire in a self defense pistol/rifle class. Maybe?

This, I believe makes the most sense.

I'm actually more concerned with bullets entering the house... want to make sure I'm somewhat safe!

I think if we shot from the inside out, you will be able to get a good idea. If the rounds have trouble at close range, they will have more difficult at longer ranges.....if we set up and see that everything is punching through, we may step back a bit to see if distance allows the bullet to slow enough.

If I had unlimited funds, i would pick up a couple cronos so we can measure speed entering and then exiting the brick, but maybe that could be a future test.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    ive often read agencies are switching to .223 ar's instead of using 9mm mp5's because it over penetrates less than 9mm. i haven't looked any of the ballistics up in a while, but obviously from whats been posted it can still penetrate several walls. We are talking about a very light weight bullet though, its going fast but loses that velocity quickly .223 as you all know "may" fragment at the cannelure when the bullet yaws, which could decrease penetration of multiple walls. But like i said, tests clearly show drywall isn't any sort of protection. I look forward to seeing the results here :)

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I think if we shot from the inside out, you will be able to get a good idea. If the rounds have trouble at close range, they will have more difficult at longer ranges.....if we set up and see that everything is punching through, we may step back a bit to see if distance allows the bullet to slow enough.
    That makes sense... just wasn't thinkin... if it can't get out, it shouldn't get in either!

*sheepish shrug*

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think there's going to be a BIG difference shooting a stack of bricks as opposed to a properly constructed brick wall. The staggered pattern and mortar is going to hold the brick in place much more securely than a loose stack. The stack would allow the bullet to shatter and displace more of the brick it hits instead of having to penetrate it.

I've shot at individual bricks before. It's pretty cool. They basically explode in a big cloud of dust. One of the more "reactive" things to shoot at. I think a mortared wall is going to be a different story.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Just checking to see if there are any updates on this and to see if we are still on schedule for next Saturday!

We're still on for Saturday the 16th!

I got the INGO Box-of-Truth out of the barn and tried some test placement of the brick and wall pieces. I stopped at a construction site near Bloomington today to confirm my understanding of the layers in a typical brick-sided home.

Everything is on-track for now!

LMW

Top Bottom