• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, my Sunday morning has take a turn for the worse. Went out to open the garage door this morning and it went up about 2 inches and stopped. Upon closer inspection I saw the cables had come off the pulleys. No big deal I thought... I'll just put them back on (they came out of a little slot on each pulley). Upon even closer inspection I noticed that the spring itself had broken. This "new and improved" spring was just installed in March of 2012 when the old spring broke. Now the old spring was much larger and heavier, but I was assured that the "new and improved" springs were now smaller and lighter than the old ones. However, that "old and unimproved" larger and heavier spring had lasted some 30 or more years. I asked the person I spoke to at Garage Doors of Indianapolis if this one was still under warranty and it wasn't. I am waiting for them to call me back to let me know what time they can be out to fix it. When they call, I plan on asking them to find me an "old and unimproved" spring to replace this one. I mean 2 years??? Come on. That can't be the typical life of a garage door spring! :xmad:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I can only offer advice for folks in northwest part of the state. The only place to call is Crawford Doors out of Highland. I will offer this advice. Have them look over the job and tell you the cost up front. One of my neighbors had their springs replaced by a local company without getting a quote up front. Totally ripped them off. Good luck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can only offer advice for folks in northwest part of the state. The only place to call is Crawford Doors out of Highland. I will offer this advice. Have them look over the job and tell you the cost up front. One of my neighbors had their springs replaced by a local company without getting a quote up front. Totally ripped them off. Good luck.

Going to be about $250... $99 service call and 150 or so for the spring. Just spoke with the customer service rep and they will be here between 4 and 8 p.m.. I asked about a heavier spring and she said the technician will have several types on his truck and to just ask him which one he thought would be best. I'm thinking that's how I got in this predicament to begin with!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've replaced 3 springs over the years and they each cost less than $100 for the job. At least my garage door company is honest about the springs. They have told me, each time, that the new springs are made from cheap assed pot metal and won't last as long as old springs. No answer for why they just don't use better springs, though. Shoot, they may not even make good springs anymore.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    FYI it's an easy self job.
    Menards carries a selection of springs for different door types, sizes, weights. etc.
    Take off the end brackets and pulleys, pull with winding rod off, replace the spring,
    reinstall and rewind the spring (get the steel winding bars also at Menards)
    Follow the instruction. Easy. BE CAREFUL with the spring, wear your safety gear.

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=torsion+springs

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FYI it's an easy self job.
    Menards carries a selection of springs for different door types, sizes, weights. etc.
    Take off the end brackets and pulleys, pull with winding rod off, replace the spring,
    reinstall and rewind the spring (get the steel winding bars also at Menards)
    Follow the instruction. Easy. BE CAREFUL with the spring, wear your safety gear.

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=torsion+springs

Knowing my luck, I'd wind up having to get myself repaired along with the garage door. :): I'm semi-handy, but I know my limits.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've replaced 3 springs over the years and they each cost less than $100 for the job. At least my garage door company is honest about the springs. They have told me, each time, that the new springs are made from cheap assed pot metal and won't last as long as old springs. No answer for why they just don't use better springs, though. Shoot, they may not even make good springs anymore.

I believe this after what I've seen this morning!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think it's rather obvious.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Welcome to the "New and better" world of product enhancement. OH, but it is lighter and better.......................My A$$

Watch out CM, I just got a demerit for "skirting the language filter"!!!! https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/364881-cool-i-gotta-little-red-flag.html I'm still in shock!:coffee: Of course some whiny butt had to have "reported" me first!

Oh crap now I'll get reported for butt.

Oh crap now I'll get reported for crap.

And name calling. . . .

It's a vicious cycle!:runaway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Watch out CM, I just got a demerit for "skirting the language filter"!!!! https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/364881-cool-i-gotta-little-red-flag.html I'm still in shock!:coffee: Of course some whiny butt had to have "reported" me first!

And name calling. . . .

haha BTDT. I've found it's better just to type it and let the filter do the work. If it comes through, it's good to go.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Repair guy is here now. He said that the spring that is on there (broken) is the heaviest one they have. :n00b: I informed him that the prior spring lasted probably 40 years. His response - "Well, they just don't make 'em like that anymore." :ugh: See, this is why I like old things... whether it's guns, cars, or now garage door springs. Newer =/= Better

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And name calling. . . .

Reported.
    Of course you were reported.
    Some butt hurt dweeb went all keyboard commando on you.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Repair guy is here now. He said that the spring that is on there (broken) is the heaviest one they have. :n00b: I informed him that the prior spring lasted probably 40 years. His response - "Well, they just don't make 'em like that anymore." :ugh: See, this is why I like old things... whether it's guns, cars, or now garage door springs. Newer =/= Better

Do you live at my house? Has my husband suddenly learned to use a computer??

Our newest vehicle is a 1989...used to be a 1999 but my son has that one and we replaced it with the 89. He has said for years, we will only go older from this point on. I was just glad I found an older one in GREAT shape for a good price.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    That's the result of companies trying, incorrectly, to use the absolute minimum size / shape / strength of steel (or whatever metal or wood) the engineers say is possible. In 'the old days', stuff tended to just be over-built. If something was to support, say 200#, it was built to support 2x - 3x that, maybe more. Just like 2"x4" studs aren't 2"x4" any more. Sadly, been that way for years now.

This obviously maximizes profit (less metal / wood / whatever) used, more springs from a coil of steel, more studs from a tree, and so forth. So, nowadays, if the calculation says 'X' size will support 'X' weight or withstand 'X' stress, that's the size they go with.

Unfortunately, those engineers don't 'bother' factoring in the 'unknown' factors, the realities of life. Metal stress & age, wind, temperature changes, constant pressure or constant fluctuations in pressure (the 'pop top' effect), humidity & moisture, this planet's inherit instability (minute movements, tremors, stuff maybe not even felt, but exists). Hell, even gravity. 'Cause those things (and others) aren't 'software theory', they're the reality of the world we actually live in, eh? :yesway:

Agreed, then. Go with the 'old and unimproved' model spring as a replacement. Or one that's rated 2x - 3x that of the 'new & improved', as long as it physically fits. Then, you'll likely not have to worry about it again for the next 30 years. OR, tell 'em ya want a 30 year 'no questions asked' warranty on the 'new & improved' model! :laugh:

Top Bottom