• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you live at my house? Has my husband suddenly learned to use a computer??

Our newest vehicle is a 1989...used to be a 1999 but my son has that one and we replaced it with the 89. He has said for years, we will only go older from this point on. I was just glad I found an older one in GREAT shape for a good price.

Well, with vehicles, I am primarily thinking of the ease of working on said vehicle. With most new cars, if I pop the hood I have no idea what I'm looking at. :): And even if I do manage to find what I'm looking for, it's packed into the engine compartment so tightly that getting to it requires removing half the engine parts. For example whomever decided it was a good idea to make it necessary to practically pull the engine just to change the sparkplugs was an idiot IMHO. I know their reasoning, but that doesn't make me like it any more.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's the result of companies trying, incorrectly, to use the absolute minimum size / shape / strength of steel (or whatever metal or wood) the engineers say is possible. In 'the old days', stuff tended to just be over-built. If something was to support, say 200#, it was built to support 2x - 3x that, maybe more. Just like 2"x4" studs aren't 2"x4" any more. Sadly, been that way for years now.

This obviously maximizes profit (less metal / wood / whatever) used, more springs from a coil of steel, more studs from a tree, and so forth. So, nowadays, if the calculation says 'X' size will support 'X' weight or withstand 'X' stress, that's the size they go with.

Unfortunately, those engineers don't 'bother' factoring in the 'unknown' factors, the realities of life. Metal stress & age, wind, temperature changes, constant pressure or constant fluctuations in pressure (the 'pop top' effect), humidity & moisture, this planet's inherit instability (minute movements, tremors, stuff maybe not even felt, but exists). Hell, even gravity. 'Cause those things (and others) aren't 'software theory', they're the reality of the world we actually live in, eh? :yesway:

Agreed, then. Go with the 'old and unimproved' model spring as a replacement. Or one that's rated 2x - 3x that of the 'new & improved', as long as it physically fits. Then, you'll likely not have to worry about it again for the next 30 years. OR, tell 'em ya want a 30 year 'no questions asked' warranty on the 'new & improved' model! :laugh:

I asked the guy if there was anything "out of whack" that would have caused the spring to break prematurely and he said no, there wasn't. In fact he commented on how well the door has been taken care of (door was installed in 1972 if I remember correctly). What he did say (which makes sense, kinda) is that the new springs were designed for the lighter weight "modern" doors, and that ours, being a VERY heavy solid wood door was probably just too much for it. He did say that the spring should NOT have broken in 2 1/2 years though. But yeah, I would love for them to give me a 30 year warranty... seems that 2 is the best they will do. :xmad: Figures, doesn't it? 2 year warranty = spring breaks just AFTER the warranty expires. Seems legit. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I asked the guy if there was anything "out of whack" that would have caused the spring to break prematurely and he said no, there wasn't. In fact he commented on how well the door has been taken care of (door was installed in 1972 if I remember correctly). What he did say (which makes sense, kinda) is that the new springs were designed for the lighter weight "modern" doors, and that ours, being a VERY heavy solid wood door was probably just too much for it. He did say that the spring should NOT have broken in 2 1/2 years though. But yeah, I would love for them to give me a 30 year warranty... seems that 2 is the best they will do. :xmad: Figures, doesn't it? 2 year warranty = spring breaks just AFTER the warranty expires. Seems legit. :rolleyes:

Engineered obsolescence.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well, with vehicles, I am primarily thinking of the ease of working on said vehicle. With most new cars, if I pop the hood I have no idea what I'm looking at. :): And even if I do manage to find what I'm looking for, it's packed into the engine compartment so tightly that getting to it requires removing half the engine parts. For example whomever decided it was a good idea to make it necessary to practically pull the engine just to change the sparkplugs was an idiot IMHO. I know their reasoning, but that doesn't make me like it any more.

Yep...you do sound like my husband. All of our vehicles have the same engine and drive train as well so parts are interchangeable for the most part.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Based on another thread here, that was started by Que I believe, I PM'd marcweid from 1st Choice doors in Avon and an INGO member for some info on insulating my garage doors. I went by his shop on Friday, and looked at an example door they have. Having them come out this Friday. If that goes well, I'll definitely be utilizing him for any concerns in the future with springs, etc.

So for future reference, we have a member, who owns a garage door installation/service company. PM marcweid or call 1st Choice Doors in Avon.
    [h=1][/h]

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Had a spring break about 15 years ago (second one in 5 years!). Repairman said it was rusting and that was causing some of the coils to start to stick together, which caused it to break. He suggested I put a little oil on a rag and wipe the coils every 6 months. I've been doing this faithfully since then, and there is no rust at all on the spring. Not sure if that is really why it is lasting better now, but it is an easy task, so why not.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My 1st set lasted ~16 yaers. I got a couple more weeks out of one by MIG welding the broken coil back together. I didn't think it would work but it did. :rockwoot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Based on another thread here, that was started by Que I believe, I PM'd marcweid from 1st Choice doors in Avon and an INGO member for some info on insulating my garage doors. I went by his shop on Friday, and looked at an example door they have. Having them come out this Friday. If that goes well, I'll definitely be utilizing him for any concerns in the future with springs, etc.

So for future reference, we have a member, who owns a garage door installation/service company. PM marcweid or call 1st Choice Doors in Avon.

This is good to know. I may eventually want to replace the door with a lighter weight, better insulated model.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Marc came out and did the door insulation today. Quick job just as described and the quoted amount included tx, and everything.

He even hauled off some siding that was sucking up space in my garage and that I no longer needed.

I'd highly recommend any INGOer's contact Marc and 1st Choice Doors for any garage door type of work you may need.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    Marc came out and did the door insulation today. Quick job just as described and the quoted amount included tx, and everything.

He even hauled off some siding that was sucking up space in my garage and that I no longer needed.

I'd highly recommend any INGOer's contact Marc and 1st Choice Doors for any garage door type of work you may need.
    I second this! Thanks for the info-just happened to see your post the day my opener decided to die!
    Just had him out on Wednesday to install a opener. Very quick service and I learned a lot about door options.
    Thanks to both you and Marc!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I second this! Thanks for the info-just happened to see your post the day my opener decided to die!
    Just had him out on Wednesday to install a opener. Very quick service and I learned a lot about door options.
    Thanks to both you and Marc!

You are welcome. The folks I have met on INGO are some of the best people around, so happy to share the knowledge.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Marc to the rescue again. Took my son to swimming practice nice and early this morning, and when I was back upstairs in the house heard something. Wasn't sure if the cat knocked something over, etc. Few hours later my wife goes to go out and pick up my son and the garage door won't open properly. Look at it for a couple of minutes, while she is backing my truck out of the other garage, and see the spring is busted. Gave 1st Choice a quick call and left a message. Few minutes later, Marc texts me back and says he can come by shortly and take care of it. Less than 30 minutes after he arrived, both springs replaced, opener readjusted, and door is working fine. Great service, great price, very fast, and all on a Saturday morning.

Thanks Marc!

Any INGO'er with any kind of garage door issue should give Marc and 1st Choice a call. Top Notch, local small business and an INGO'er. How can you go wrong.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I feel your pain OP... Just last week our garage door broke also. It was opening uneven so I though that our left spring may have slipped a bit on the spring rod, (cold weather, metal shrinks). SI start tightening up the spring and POP.... I broke my spring as well. I didn't even get a 1/2 turn on the thing. So after closer inspection the first original problem was that the spring rod broke in half but it was broke behind the spring so I could not see it.

So any way we just ordered a new garage door with all new hardware, I'm tried of working on my old door every year. I think I've replaced my spring about 3 times over the last few years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Marc to the rescue again. Took my son to swimming practice nice and early this morning, and when I was back upstairs in the house heard something. Wasn't sure if the cat knocked something over, etc. Few hours later my wife goes to go out and pick up my son and the garage door won't open properly. Look at it for a couple of minutes, while she is backing my truck out of the other garage, and see the spring is busted. Gave 1st Choice a quick call and left a message. Few minutes later, Marc texts me back and says he can come by shortly and take care of it. Less than 30 minutes after he arrived, both springs replaced, opener readjusted, and door is working fine. Great service, great price, very fast, and all on a Saturday morning.

Thanks Marc!

Any INGO'er with any kind of garage door issue should give Marc and 1st Choice a call. Top Notch, local small business and an INGO'er. How can you go wrong.

Bingo...........................:yesway:

Top Bottom