• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    i know there are a **** ton of threads about all this ammo but i havent been able to find an answer to my question. its a simple question though. is all of this ammo the same in general? i know its all steel cases and non corrosive primed. but im looking into buying some bulk of this kind of ammo. i know my gun shoots wolf perfectly fine...but all the good deals online are for brown bear and tula. would it be alright to go ahead and buy these? i cant find anywhere local to shoot some boxes of this stuff to see if it works though. wolf does so should this stuff?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I've heard that it's manufactured by the same company but marketed under different names . I would think it would be safe but I'm NO expert .

Just to be safe you should find a box or two of each and try them before you commit yourself to a bulk purchase .

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I went thru one big batch (1,000) of Brown Bear .223 without any problems. It was 62 gr HP if I remember correctly.
    Never any problems using a lot of Wolf and quite a bit of Tula.
    Some of my last big buys were Ulyanovsk .223 and 7.62 x 39 from Centerfire Systems. I don't remember the prices now but it was under $200/1000 rds. I haven't got into the 7.62 x 39 yet, but the .223 has been reliable. It's dirty, and probably not very consistant as far as velocity ect. But it works for plinking.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've used Wolf, both the black and "military classic" boxed kind, and Brown Bear in multiple calibers.

It works and is affordable.

I'm not a sniper, so I can't make any claim for/against it's accuracy compared to anything else I've shot.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Aimsurplus has Russian ammo (Novosibrsk) in 9mm that is $8 a box. It has copper washed steel cases. I think they go to $7.75 a box for 10 boxes or more. I think it is the same factory that makes Silver and Brown bear.

Walmarts around here usually have Tula for $9.50 a box.

21st Century has Sellier & Bellot (brass) 9mm for 50/$10.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Brown Bear/Silver Bear comes from Barnaul Machine Tool Building Plant. Wolf comes from Tula Cartridge Works. At least the 7.62 and 5.56. Other calibers might come from other plants in different countries.

GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I've used brown bear & silver bear without any problems. It is good stuff for just plinking.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I don't know if Copes Distributing has what you want, but if they do you might get it with their $9.95 flat rate shipping fee.
    It's something to consider.

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I've used Wolf and Tula. Never had a problem with either, even dumping 100+ rounds through an jammomatic AR in short order. I just wanted to see if it would work, most fun tests I've ever taken. :D

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I cant say that they are made in the same factory, but having shot Tula, Wolf, and Silver Bear side by side, I would say that Tula and Wolf are identical. They both have that same odd smell. The Silver Bear was a touch different smelling, but had that same base smell, it was still obvious that it was slightly different though. I have not tried Brown Bear in any caliber, because it has not been available when buying locally, and when I order it online, I spring for the extra few bucks to buy Silver Bear, since it does seem to be a bit cleaner in all calibers I have tried it in. When I shot the three side by side, it was in 762x39.

I would have no qualms buying any of the three in bulk if your gun is not ammo picky. If it is, definitely find a box or order a box or two before you commit to buying a large amount. If you dont and it turns out to not work out so well, Im sure someone will buy it off of you for what you payed for it, especially if you are willing to break it down into smaller quantities (10 lots of 100 rounds for exactly 1/10 of the price you payed)

Top Bottom