• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I would tell you to stay away from Golden Bear (copper washed steel case) I purchased 1000 rounds before ammo prices started going up a few years ago and have found that it is crap ammo. I average 3 "non ignition" of the primer out of every 50 rounds or so. My primer strikes look good, just no bang.

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Centerfire has tula ammo in 223 or 762x39 for 179.50, delivered for 195.17 Centerfiresystems.com

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I would tell you to stay away from Golden Bear (copper washed steel case) I purchased 1000 rounds before ammo prices started going up a few years ago and have found that it is crap ammo. I average 3 "non ignition" of the primer out of every 50 rounds or so. My primer strikes look good, just no bang.

What caliber? I have it in 762x39 and have no problems so far.

I've shot basically all the Russian 7.62x39 brands through AK's and no trouble with ANY of them that I can recall.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm not sure what caliber you're looking at, but all of my AR's have functioned fine with hollow points.
    On the other hand all of my AK's are finicky with hollow points, and big time unrealiable with soft points.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Tula, TulAmmo, and Wolf are all made at the same Tula Cartridge factory in Tula, Russia. The Bear and Golden Tiger ammo is made at a different factory if I remember correctly. I haven't noticed a major difference between them other than the Bear being a little cleaner.

TulAmmo is really starting to pick up steam in the US market. I've only shot the 45 acp, .223 and 7.62x39. I haven't had any issues with any of the ammo.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    My AR eats brown bear without a hitch. Haven't tried the other stuff yet but I can vouch for brown bear and plan on buying it in bulk here soon

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    another question

is there any differance between the HP and FMJ rounds? just havent seen much ballistic info on these cheaper rounds

My comments are regarding 7.62x39, other calibers could be different. I did some testing a few years ago on whether there was any difference. And there is. I shot several rounds of each into a soggy rotten log just to see what happened. The FMJs would go through the log and left a good sized hole, like they came out sideways, and recovered bullets seem to confirm this. The HPs either basically blew up on contact and left a shallow hole, or bored straight through the log and left a small exit hole compared to the FMJs. On some of the ones I recovered the HP seemed to have collapsed on itself and didn't expand or tumble. Now, the SPs (Brown Bear 124 or 5 gr.) I shot all expanded quite nicely and left some huge holes as they exited.
    As far as who made what, Wolf is a marketing brand only and they get their ammo from several different places: Tula, Ulyanovsk, and Novosibirsk among others. I've found that there can be quite a bit of difference in accuracy and performance depending on the lot. The Bears in all calibers AFAIK are all loaded at Barnual, and I've found their rifle ammo to be much more consistent. Brown Bear is my favorite as I've found the accuracy to better on average in my AKs an SKSs than Wolf. Another ammo you might want to try is Golden Tiger. Accuracy is as good as the Bear in my rifles and it seems to be a tad warmer. Drawbacks keeping it from being my favorite is that is cost more and availability is limited.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm not sure what caliber you're looking at, but all of my AR's have functioned fine with hollow points.
    On the other hand all of my AK's are finicky with hollow points, and big time unrealiable with soft points.

I've not had any problems with HPs, in 2 AKs and 2 SKSs, had a few problems with the SPs but a little polishing of the feed ramp solved that.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    got a box of 50 Tula 45 acp, fmj. at wal-mart Saturday and went to the range. The stuff was junk, 3 non ignitions out of the box. The primer strikes looked good it just did not fire.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Ok, I ran 1 box of TulAmmo .40 cal, had one not fire, had a good hit on the striker, but I ran it through twice, and nothing.

-MColford

Top Bottom