• ...and so much more!
  • WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    EvilBlackGun,

Good on ya for humping a ruck at 73. You are an inspiration.

My ruck weighs in around 45 pounds. Thats with water. Not too much heavy stuff in there. I keep fighting loads to my 1st or 2nd line gear. I can cover 10 miles in 3 hours at a solid, 15 minute per mile pace w/ breaks for water, foot checks etc. At 20 miles a day, my performance will degrade, but I can plough on. I've done 21 miles in 7 hours before with my BoB and an AK.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Additional equirment required after "50"

I check glucose readings each hour. Gotta carry insulin and needles, but I can nearly do a check and injection (if needed) on the fly. Got a tiny shrapnel bit in one knee, but the drugs help me so I can walk. Can't do any MRI due to my pace-maker. (Yeah, I'm almost a $6,000,000 man, thanks to 'Nam and the V.A.) Takes me an hour to push-mow our lawn, and a bit less to reach the first "point" of group rendezvous. I am really trying to do better; I'd like to get "the mission" done on only a single pain-tab. Body is weird: some days the knee does not hurt at all. Others are $(&H%!S)&^^>><<?/, y'know? I'm humping only a 24-hr BOB on my shoulders, plus three disposable "canteens" of 3-liter pop-jugs. I find that the 3-l jugs are easier to Bi$$ in if I need to avoid dog-tracking. Real-life BOB, I'll have bought two more large canteens, WITH steel cup ea. Where we live is on a sort of plateau of this county, and luckily, my first point is a bit of a downhill grade. Life seems better, the older I get ! ! ! At least there is fun to be found. But my mistakes tend to be more expensive!! O, BTW, I carry a G-30 , drop-leg, with 4 extended mags on the other leg , and a Camp-Carbine 9mm folder with S&W-59 30-rd mags. set between my pack and my back. I utilized some "expanded-metal" like plastic from a not used any more baby-crib. This stuff is rugged but light-weight, and lets my back get some air circulation. I wove together two pieces with para cord and it's very comfortable. EBG

Last edited:

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    My personal bug out bag.

This is my BOB. It has enough to last two people 1-2 weeks or 1 person 2-4 weeks. I over do it a little, but I plan to not have to stop for anything.

Got main bag from Sportsmansguide.com for $50 then added multiple molle packs.

There are a few things not shown, the bottom bag which holds clothes, sleeping bag. And some food not shown. Weighs around 55lbs. Not to bad for me as I move 100lb objects regularly. For protection I have a glock 22 with 100 rds and five 20 rnd mags (+5 extensions). Not shown.

List of items:
    Fire
    20 Flints
    1 magnesium firestarter
    2 Bic Lighters
    6 packs instafire
    4 box waterproof matches

Food
    1 camp spice pack 6 spices
    1 jar of peanut butter
    6 cans of white tuna
    4 2400 calorie food bars
    1 bottle of multivitamins
    4 Freeze dried meeal (not pictured)
    6 cans tuna (not pictured)

Water
    150 Pura tabs
    52 4oz water bags
    15 36 water purifying holding bags

Navigation
    1 Directional Compass
    Maps
    Guide to stars

Camp Supplies
    1 multiuse radio solar crank (not pictured)
    100ft paracord
    1 utensil multitool (fork,spoon,etc)
    1 14 pc multitool

1 deck of cards
    50 zip ties
    3 ball chain 24"
    3 12hr candles

Protection from elements
    3 Emergency Poncho
    4 heat blankets
    1 7 x 10 reinforced tarp
    Pair of Gloves
    Gerber double use blade (not shown)

First Aid
    200 pc kit (not pictured)
    400 alcohol wipes (extras for trading)
    1 roll medical tape
    21 pc firsy aid kit
    4 Antibiotic sprays
    1 Bottle of visine
    3 10pk Bottles Advil
    1 stick burts bees chap stick
    24 anti dierhea tabs
    2 latex gloves

Hygiene
    1 Small tube toothpaste
    1 Coppertone sport Sunscreen 30SPF
    3 rolls campers tp
    4oz camp soap
    2 tooth burshes
    1 pack kleenex
    3 latex condoms (You never know)

1 bottle hand sanitize
    1 1oz Bens Bug repellent

Misc tools
    2 pens
    1 sharpie green
    1 small composite book
    1 rope saw
    1 small led flashlight
    2 shake lights
    2 cheap whistles
    1 small radio w/4 batteries
    3 d ring clips
    12 zip lock bags
    Small sewing kit
    - tube of super glue
    - measuring tape
    - small snips foldable
    -seam splitter
    -assorted pretheaded needles
    -assorted safety pins
    -self contained

PICT0479.jpg

PICT0478.jpg

PICT0477.jpg

PICT0476.jpg

PICT0475-1.jpg

PICT0474-1.jpg

PICT0472.jpg

:patriot:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    QuikClot is in mine. IN a true SHTF situtation I feel much more comfortable having it! You can always find it at Indy 1500 for a reasonable price.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    QuikClot is vary good to have I also carry fishing line hooks etc. three large and two small trash bags, so many uses and fishing line has alot of uses. Duck tape is another multi use item

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    don't forget dental floss and fingernail clippers. If I have to spend two weeks in the woods hiding under logs and such it's going to be miserable if it's this freaking hot outside! Pass the bug juice and the AC.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    To the guys that have posted their loadouts, how much would that stuff cost? I was going to spend some money at Bradis but I'd rather have a b.o.b. set up instead.

Here's what I've already got:

A Kabar
    A Gerber hatchet
    Quickclot and bandages...need more first aid
    A large Alice w/ frame
    A quality pocket knife
    2 qt collapsible canteen
    tarp
    wool blanket
    Dynamo flashlights
    ...and that's all I have I could use on the top of my head that's in my house...so anyways how much would getting a complete, basic pack put together, and at what cost?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The price of the contents in your BOB is what's going to drive the price. I think in simple terms of food, water, shelter, first aid, and a means to retain mylife (gun). To add some food, a water filter, a tarp, and a gun to your kit could be as low as another $300 uptowards a couple thousand. BOB costs are all over the place and it all depends on what you want in yours. I just looked at my inventory in my BOB and just ballparking without the gun I'd be carrying it's around $600 worth of stuff. Mine is a large alice on the frame, with the most expensive components being the 6 loaded AR mags, MRE's, katadyn water filter & spare filter. Otherwise it's just all the small items that add up cost before you know it.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Here is my BOB

Backpack

Fire
    3 bic lighters
    zippo lighter
    2 farro rods
    2 steel wool
    2 metal containers of dryer lint
    Murray hair gel with cotton balls (This stuff burns very well)
    200' cotton string

First Aid
    200 band-aids
    20 large cloth bandage
    NeoSporin
    super glue*
    Hand sanitizer
    Cutter bug spray
    50 alcohol wipes
    Advil bottle
    2 finger nail clippers

TOOLS
    Machete (has saw blade built in) **
    Bolt cutters
    Wire saw
    wire cutters
    1 folding knife
    2 large knife
    2 Channel lock pliers
    Forceps*
    Duct tape*
    3 rolls electrical tape*
    super glue*
    200' Wire*
    2 compass
    2 Flash lights
    1 LED lantern
    Sharpie

Protection from elements
    Tarp 10x8
    85' para cord (three pieces 50', 10', and 25')
    5 emergency blankets

Food Gathering
    30 small fish hooks
    20 medium size fish hooks
    250' 15 pound fishing line
    20 fishing swivels
    200' snare wire*

FOOD Stuff (not all pic)
    2 Stainless steel water bottles
    2 stainless steel bowls
    10 Snack bar packs
    2 Peanut butter jars
    20 pack noddles
    2 Beef jerky

*these items have muilt purpose
    **Machete will go on belt but is on bag to keep them together.

I know my food stuff is a bit low. And I could use to bulk up my first aid kit also.

I plan on picking up a few large trash bags for ponchos or tarps.

The kit is less then $175 and took about 2 months to build

IMAG0475.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0480.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

IMAG0482.jpg

IMAG0484.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I put small "pen" type bug spray and bite/sting relief into mine, as well. The bug spray isn't a huge amount, but is enough to get through a few days and it weighs next to nothing.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Here is my BOB

You can add some serious pockets to that bag and get a lot more in there. I added 3 to mine. How much water you carrying? You need more water then food. I would also add some water purification tablets. I used datrex water bags. You get 50 4oz bags for around $20 on Amazon. Throw in a mountain house freeze dried or two and your good to go. I like the bolt cutters, but that is a lot of weight......

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You can add some serious pockets to that bag and get a lot more in there. I added 3 to mine. How much water you carrying? You need more water then food. I would also add some water purification tablets. I used datrex water bags. You get 50 4oz bags for around $20 on Amazon. Throw in a mountain house freeze dried or two and your good to go. I like the bolt cutters, but that is a lot of weight......

Like most people my BOB is a work in progress. The pockets are a good idea.

As for water I am thinking of carrying a small 8-12oz bottle of bleach to purify water. It has many uses also but then I might need more the 12 oz. Or might do the bleach and some Datrex bags.

The bolt cutters I bought for when the SHTF and they are with my bag, but are also one of the first things to drop from the kit. They don't weight much but over a 2 mile walk it will add up. So right now they are 50/50 to keep or carry.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Warhawk, You have a lot of tools and sharp things, but not much in the way of 1st aid, I know you realize that. Get a trauma dressing and tourniquet.

More water, now, on board. And 2 ways of treating it.

Extra socks, a hat and gloves.

Hygiene stuff: baby wipes, TP, toothbrush, toothpaste and floss will go a long way towards keeping you healthy.

Why 2 visegrips? One for each hand when wrenching something? Bolt cutters AND wire cutters?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mosinguy,

There are other items you may want to have that will cost you almost nothing. What you have in your BOB right now is good, with skills and knowledge, you should be able to survive a few days on the run.

I would add the following, at very little out of pocket cost:

A ziplock bag with dryer lint (cotton), matches, bic lighter.

Extra socks, hat, long sleeved shirt/fleece

Cheapo stadium poncho or garbage bag

Cordage: twine, clothesline, fishing line, dental floss, 550 cord-any of those.

Safety pins, a few nails and screws, needle and thread.

Tin can to cook in or boil water for drinking. Take a can that had food in it. Wash it out, then OUTSIDE, set it on a fire and burn out the plastic coating inside. It will smoke and stink. let cool and coat lightly with oil. You now have a lightweight cookpot. Throw a spoon or fork in there from a fast food joint and a piece of aluminum foil and you have options for cooking and eating.

Speaking of that, go get a few granola or Cliff type bars and a 1 pound bag of rice. Total outlay: less than $5.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Warhawk, You have a lot of tools and sharp things, but not much in the way of 1st aid, I know you realize that. Get a trauma dressing and tourniquet.

More water, now, on board. And 2 ways of treating it.

Extra socks, a hat and gloves.

Hygiene stuff: baby wipes, TP, toothbrush, toothpaste and floss will go a long way towards keeping you healthy.

Why 2 visegrips? One for each hand when wrenching something? Bolt cutters AND wire cutters?

I didn't notice the water shortage till last night. I will be fixing that ASAP.

The first aid is growing but. Bandana and duct tape works wonders

I have a small bag with underwear, socks, tooth brush and TP in my 2nd bag. I carry a small back pack with me and live it in the car I drive with most is the above item.

On the tools. The wire cutters are for small stuff like 18ga or snare wire. The vise grips for the weight I like to have 2 just in case. I also carry a multi tool on my belt better to have and not need then need and not have.

I didn't think about hat or gloves but I will start looking.
    Thanks

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    For water you don't need to carry bags of water, you need to have the ability to purify any water you come across. Carrying bags of water is a limited thought. It will only last you a day or two. Also, it will weigh wayyyy too much and will be subject to leaking, taking up space, etc... What you need to do is pack a water filter and water purification tablets in your pack. Make sure you already have some sort of metal container you can put water in, that will be useful. Collect water, if it is really muddy filter it thru your shirt or some other media. Then use your water purification tablets, or boil the water. Optionally afterwards you can filter it in attempt to remove more foul chemical tastes and to provide an extra layer of protection from life long friends like giardia. If you're really in a sticky situation you can drink the water from the source thru a proper filter. Water is essential, don't go cheap on your preparations.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Infebious. Good reminders. Please note that most posts listing BOB loadouts, including my original post include multiple means of treating water.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    I still pack 20 datrex bags, gets me through at least 11 days in extreme scenarios. Pretty good head start because I don't have to stop and look for water. Each bag is 4 oz. which is around 5 lbs. Not to bad. I also have 15 standing 36 oz purification bags. Basically is a zip lock bag that stands up. The tabs I have treat 36oz so they are a perfect match. I have 90 tabs. Then there is the basic water filter throught the carbon sponge and straw. I would only use this for rain water or water found in home water heaters. Desperate measures only.

I have been looking into an advanced filter. They do have one that converts salt water to fresh water, but it is upwards of $1000. I have to do what I can with what I got. Failed to mention I have stainless corn cooker that is 5" W x 8"T which makes a great boiler or soup cooker. I like to keep a few tea bags and a few Hawaiian punch drink mixers in the bag as well. Bland water gets old so some vitamin C wouldn't hurt as well as some flavor.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When it comes to water I don't see how you can do without both a container of actual water and a means to purify water. I'm one of those guys that sweats a lot, and I drink a lot of water now, let alone when I put on a pack of some sort and hit a trail. I keep a regular camelbak type water bladder or minimum 2qt canteen on any bag I consider for hard times use.

Yesterday morning I started my running routine. I took the dog out for a run in the morning before work and it felt great to get out, but at the same time I knew this was long over due. My running shoes need to be replaced in a bad way.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I could be wrong but the impression everyone is thinking of using chemicals is the best way to purify water.

From what I have heard chemical treatment takes about 30 mins and is not 100%.

I think the best way to purify is boiling. While you can't really do it on the move you should be able to start the fire and boil the water in less then 20 mins, cooling time you might be just over 30 mins total. While still not 100% it is much closer

Top Bottom