• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    That's correct Warhawk, and if you have never drank the chemicly regenerated water.....YUK! I doubt even in hard times I would succeed in making my kids drink that crap.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Okay, I think its time to put my 2 cents in here.

I've got 6 years military but before that I did Search and Rescue and went through a week long survival school. As some have mentioned, weight is a big concern as is space. Big knifes, machetes and the like are a good thought, and I used to carry both, well, over that course and the years of actual missions afterwards, I have yet to come across a situation where I needed that nice big Ka-Bar or machete etc. More times than not, it was either not used or in the way. I would say that roughly 95% of all the times I used a knife, it could be with a 3in blade. A 3in blade is just long enough to do most anything you will stumble into. May not be the best for hand to hand fighting or chopping back the jungle but they also do not weigh a ton. For me, I carry a simple Gerber multi-tool, I have had this tool for probably 12 years now, works awesome and I have beat the crap out of it and it has yet to break. I also carry a couple small knives, biggest one I carry is a 3 in folding knife. As for saws, I prefer the roll up suvival saws, light weight and compact. Hatchets are nice but some can be heavy, just watch which you chose. Also, if its a true SHTF situation, I do not want to make it easier for someone to follow me which is what chopping vegetation out of the way would do. I do carry an entrenching tool which can be used for many applications, I sharpened the one edge of mine and can use it as a hatchet is I needed too.

As for water, its a good idea to have both the carrying capacity and a means to clean/replenish it. For me, I carry 2 canteens and 1-100oz camelbak. I like the camelbak simply because it collapses as it gets empty, the down side is that you do not want to try to purify water in it, I tried this on several occasions, you never can seem to get the taste of the purification tablets out of a camelbak bladder, or at least I couldn't. The canteens are nice, relatively light weight, plus I run the metal canteen cup under one of them, which allows me to cook in it and if needed, purify water. Another tip is, if you have the money to spare, the filter equipped water bottles or systems, they are expensive but they do what they are intended to do.

As for the entire back pack style BoB, my opinion is that weight is the number one limiting factor. Another problem I have seen people do when trying to hump one of these things through the woods is the cool factor. What I mean by cool factor(and this is not a dig on anyone here), is excess and big flashy stuff or over loading and carry so much stuff that the back appears to be bursting at the seems, what ends up happening? 50% of it is usually either not used and sometimes discarded or the person injures themselves trying to carry it for long distances. For me, my ideal pack wieght is around 30-50 lbs depending on season, winter bag is heavier due to more clothing and such.

Maps of local areas are also handy, sure, navigating by stars and compass is a good and proven method, but a map of road ways and such to help get your bearings can be a nice thing to have as well. You can get these free from rest stops and most city/county visitor centers or even the state fair

Lights- candles are nice to have. I like to keep a red lense flashlight handy, reason being is that it would allow me to see at night without messing up my nightvision.

My reccomendation, take your empty pack, put a heavy pair of boots or so, say 10-15 lbs, start out walking with just it. After a few trys of this, add weight gradually and repeat, this will help you get used to carrying a pack. Once you feel comfortable with that, then load up everything you think you "need" and hump it a couple miles, not on black top or flat ground(unless your SHTF plans include only that) but hilly and wooded terrain, parks like Brown County or Monroe work great for this.

When I get home, I'll post a pic of my bag and what I carry just for your viewing pleasure. Keep in mind this: What works for me and my pack, may not work for yours. There are as many opinions to how to pack or what to back in a BoB as there are internet sites dedicated to them. The trick is finding out what works best for you, the individual, and then practicing with it and getting use to it.

Last edited:

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I finally picked a LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack up so that I could start putting a BOB together. I enjoy reading through what others have packed in their bag, and there is a lot of good information in this thread. In case others are thinking of getting the LA Police Gear bag, you can use the coupon code SECRET10 to get 10% off your order.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    You know what I find very useful, that dosen't weigh much? Two pair of the $1.50 safety glasses, one clear, one shaded, and some ear plugs. PPE is nice in the woods (stick to your eye, choppin' shards), and who knows what may be happening - you don't want ears ringing. I don't see these items on many lists. Love this stuff.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    It seems like a bargain.

My local "Milsurp/gunstore" got a large chunk of my monthly Eagle-scat week-before-last. I've told the proprietor that I DO NOT mind him making a fair profit, rather than give it all away "for free," and then go closed forever. Really, up front his motto is "The More You Buy, The More I'll Make, The less It Will Cost You." So I came out of there with about $250 cash, plus freebies of goodies that -- when I totaled up the price-tags -- should have cost me $420. Happy buyer & happy seller. Included is a lightly used MOLLE II, lightweight Ruck for $40. It holds everything but a SINK! Question: was it a good deal, and IS THERE a G.I. Method-To-Packing this Ruck in the most expeditious manner? Also, on those who are Bobbing it out, with family in tow, how do you determine who carries what? Of course, a child cannot even pack their own food and water for a mile, so what do you give them to tote? Lightweight stuff like all the ground-mats, sleepers, tent-fabric, MRE ? ? ? And what is your next plan when 72-hrs. turns into 6-months? Our family unit will be a 73 yr-old male, 69 and 65yr. old females, and the femmes are quite rickety. At ONE MILE in either of two directions there is a storage-barn with hold-out stuffs for 6-mo., except water; there is a manual pump at each facility. MREs, toilet essentials, and another long gun besides what we'll arrive with. A bucket filled with heat-tabs is in each place, and one locker has a 4x4 with generator and 3 CB radios in working order. At six more miles there is another locker, and another 4x4. Fuel is there also. And I have a USPS mail-box there in that town. They consider me an "AlGoreGreenie". So be it: I get gardening and bee-keeping magazines at that box. But that's as far as I could go, walking and packing. Y'kno, we types need a special sign to I.D. our Philosophical bent; how about "The Second Amendment" salute? No, NOT THE DAMNED HIPPY "Peace sign", but how about both fists raised in tandem signifying "TWO-A Is My Way" ?? The same sign is used by rail-roaders to indicate "TRACK TWO." Hey, that's US!! Or maybe a fingered "3", for "3%"-ers. Or maybe both. Your turn. EBR

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Way too many questions in there dude. Break some of them up and post them separately. Long threads could be made on a few of those like how you pack your BOB. Rather than go off topic here.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My local "Milsurp/gunstore" got a large chunk of my monthly Eagle-scat week-before-last. I've told the proprietor that I DO NOT mind him making a fair profit, rather than give it all away "for free," and then go closed forever. Really, up front his motto is "The More You Buy, The More I'll Make, The less It Will Cost You." So I came out of there with about $250 cash, plus freebies of goodies that -- when I totaled up the price-tags -- should have cost me $420. Happy buyer & happy seller.

Included is a lightly used MOLLE II, lightweight Ruck for $40. It holds everything but a SINK! Question: was it a good deal, and IS THERE a G.I. Method-To-Packing this Ruck in the most expeditious manner?

Also, on those who are Bobbing it out, with family in tow, how do you determine who carries what?

Of course, a child cannot even pack their own food and water for a mile, so what do you give them to tote? Lightweight stuff like all the ground-mats, sleepers, tent-fabric, MRE ? ? ? And what is your next plan when 72-hrs. turns into 6-months? Our family unit will be a 73 yr-old male, 69 and 65yr. old females, and the femmes are quite rickety. At ONE MILE in either of two directions there is a storage-barn with hold-out stuffs for 6-mo., except water; there is a manual pump at each facility. MREs, toilet essentials, and another long gun besides what we'll arrive with. A bucket filled with heat-tabs is in each place, and one locker has a 4x4 with generator and 3 CB radios in working order. At six more miles there is another locker, and another 4x4. Fuel is there also. And I have a USPS mail-box there in that town. They consider me an "AlGoreGreenie". So be it: I get gardening and bee-keeping magazines at that box. But that's as far as I could go, walking and packing. Y'kno, we types need a special sign to I.D. our Philosophical bent; how about "The Second Amendment" salute? No, NOT THE DAMNED HIPPY "Peace sign", but how about both fists raised in tandem signifying "TWO-A Is My Way" ?? The same sign is used by rail-roaders to indicate "TRACK TWO." Hey, that's US!! Or maybe a fingered "3", for "3%"-ers. Or maybe both. Your turn. EBR

I think you got a pretty decent deal on the rucksack, if it came with the frame and shoulder strap/waist strap assemblies. If it came with the sleep-system carrier and the patrol ruck, you got an outstanding deal.

While I'm sure there is a "military" way to pack the ruck, you probably won't be dealing with military necessities, and stuffing that ruck with too much stuff will make it too heavy to carry unless you plan to get used to doing it regularly. I recommend you figure out what you absolutely need to carry and put it in the pack, lighter stuff down below and heavier stuff toward the top as much as you can. If you didn't get the sleep system carrier, put your sleeping stuff on the bottom and leave room at the top for foul-weather clothing.

You might get an appropriately sized book bag for your child/children and let them carry their sleep systems and perhaps some extra clothing.

Depending upon how you're planning to move to your bug-out location, you might consider a pull/push cart for your elderly family members. Such a thing could be put together from PVC pipe and bicycle wheels, and could serve as a way to carry emergency items that you would otherwise have to pack on your back.

Colt.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Hey im looking at buying a water purification pump, what is the best buy out there and what should the filter size be? how many filter replacements should i buy? also will i or should i buy the tablets just in case? will i need a bottle "with the filter" in it or will a normal water bottle due? where can i buy a dutch oven or something similar to that that isnt cast iron (to heavy --> want to make the pack as light as possible) i would like for it to have a wire or something of that nature to hang it from a stick or something over a fire to be able to boil water.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hey im looking at buying a water purification pump, what is the best buy out there and what should the filter size be? how many filter replacements should i buy? also will i or should i buy the tablets just in case? will i need a bottle "with the filter" in it or will a normal water bottle due? where can i buy dutch oven or something similar to that that isnt cast iron (to heavy --> want to make the pack as light as possible) i would like for it to have a wire or something of that nature to hang it from a stick or something over a fire to be able to boil water.

Lots of questions and I'll try to help. In my opinion the katadyn hikers filters are as. Good as its going to get for the money. The filters are good for about 400 gallons according to katadyn. You decide how many filters you need based on your priorities with your money.

The water purification tabs aren't a bad idea either. Never hurts to have some of those for no more than what they cost and weigh.

As far as a camp pan goes just search eBay for a stainless camping pan. You should find a few hundred options to sort through on eBay with that criteria.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Hey im looking at buying a water purification pump, what is the best buy out there and what should the filter size be? how many filter replacements should i buy? also will i or should i buy the tablets just in case? will i need a bottle "with the filter" in it or will a normal water bottle due? where can i buy a dutch oven or something similar to that that isnt cast iron (to heavy --> want to make the pack as light as possible) i would like for it to have a wire or something of that nature to hang it from a stick or something over a fire to be able to boil water.

Some folks in another thread were talking about make-your-own filtration systems using commercially-available items. If you're just cleaning water for your own use, Katadyn, MSR, and several others produce excellent camping filter/pump units. If you're going to need a gallon of water at a time, you might research some of the other alternatives.

swede229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    i like all the ideas here when i get mine together complete i will put it on here with photos...

one thing i did want to mention is for camel backs the have a in line filter that plugs to most bite valve areas.. and then to a pump.. so you can pump water directly through filter through drinking line and fill you bag up.. which i like so you dont have to take it all apart to refill...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    i like all the ideas here when i get mine together complete i will put it on here with photos...

one thing i did want to mention is for camel backs the have a in line filter that plugs to most bite valve areas.. and then to a pump.. so you can pump water directly through filter through drinking line and fill you bag up.. which i like so you dont have to take it all apart to refill...

CamelBak also has an inline filter that attaches between the bladder and the drinking tube and requires no pumping.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U35WE0]Amazon.com: Official US Military Army Molle II Patrol Backpack: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

ordered this bag. was wondering what connects to those female tabs?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    could be a couple things. when the bags not in use you can use the male parts below to roll the bag up smaller. on the strap side though are the male adapters and we use to put our puss pads up there and cinch it down

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Something I learned just tonight, spend some time getting familiar with WHERE in your bag different things are kept! I've been taking mine outside at night to practice finding certain items, matches, tinder, soup packets, it took me quite awhile to find my magnesium fire starter, then I remembered clipping it to a loop in the main compartment of my bag. Being able to find things quickly in any conditions was something that, until recently, I had never thought of. Damn! DUH!

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Something I learned just tonight, spend some time getting familiar with WHERE in your bag different things are kept! I've been taking mine outside at night to practice finding certain items, matches, tinder, soup packets, it took me quite awhile to find my magnesium fire starter, then I remembered clipping it to a loop in the main compartment of my bag. Being able to find things quickly in any conditions was something that, until recently, I had never thought of. Damn! DUH!

That's a great bit of advice. I've taken to putting things in categories. The categories go into zip lock bags. Fire has a zip lock baggie, so does ammo, coms, shelter, clothing...

It's pretty easy to just feel a baggie and know what's inside it. Then you only need to know what compartment in your pack each baggie is located. Stuff you need frequently is in the easiest "get to spot" in your bag.

+1 li'l tom! Great post!

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom